• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some questions about what is considered fair trade for EX cards

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    So I'm new here and new to the current Pokemon cards, trying to help my daughter navigate the world of trading and playing. I haven't collected Pokemon cards since 2000, and there are a ton more now. She has a good amount of EX cards, and all the kids at school seem to be obsessed with those (she's almost 9, a lot of the kids who trade are 10/11). They always want her EX cards, and she has traded a few away for what I know was not a good trade. She got like 10 super common cards like arcanine and caterpie and some trainers for her Mega Mewtwo EX card, which I was 99.9% sure was a bad trade for her (she thought it was good because 10 cards for 1 card, until she realized she had all those common cards). So I told her to only trade EX cards for other EX cards, just to be on the safe side, until I can figure it out better. And I told her to ask if he would trade back. He wouldn't, of course, and he wasn't obligated to. But he came right out and told her that the card she gave him was a good one and that he tricked her and just laughed, which confirmed my suspicion that kids are deliberately giving her bad trades because she's new.
    SO....my question is....how do we know if a trade is fair for her or not? I'd like to be able to give her some sort of guide, if possible. Is the 'only trade EX for other EX' an ok rule for her to abide by? Or is that nonsense...? I just figured that telling her that will at least keep her from giving away her EX cards for common cards...especially since we already have duplicates of a lot of them.
    Sorry, I know this question is difficult to answer because really a trade depends on how much a person likes the card and a good trade is when both people are happy. But my daughter isn't at the point yet where she understands gameplay enough to have cards that are particularly important to her...and I know some are worth more that others both in regards to trading and how much they would cost me to buy individually, so I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of insight into how EX trading works...
    I have explained to her about rare, reverse holo, common, and uncommon by the way.
    Also, she has a full art N trainer it's 101/101 that kids keep asking her for. I told her not to trade it until I know more about it. What would be considered fair for that one in particular, also?
    Thank you to anyone who helps!
    (sorry again, this is kind of a jumbled mess. it's 6:30 in the morning and I haven't gone to sleep yet)

Years
  • So I'm new here and new to the current Pokemon cards, trying to help my daughter navigate the world of trading and playing. I haven't collected Pokemon cards since 2000, and there are a ton more now. She has a good amount of EX cards, and all the kids at school seem to be obsessed with those (she's almost 9, a lot of the kids who trade are 10/11). They always want her EX cards, and she has traded a few away for what I know was not a good trade. She got like 10 super common cards like arcanine and caterpie and some trainers for her Mega Mewtwo EX card, which I was 99.9% sure was a bad trade for her (she thought it was good because 10 cards for 1 card, until she realized she had all those common cards). So I told her to only trade EX cards for other EX cards, just to be on the safe side, until I can figure it out better. And I told her to ask if he would trade back. He wouldn't, of course, and he wasn't obligated to. But he came right out and told her that the card she gave him was a good one and that he tricked her and just laughed, which confirmed my suspicion that kids are deliberately giving her bad trades because she's new.
    SO....my question is....how do we know if a trade is fair for her or not? I'd like to be able to give her some sort of guide, if possible. Is the 'only trade EX for other EX' an ok rule for her to abide by? Or is that nonsense...? I just figured that telling her that will at least keep her from giving away her EX cards for common cards...especially since we already have duplicates of a lot of them.
    Sorry, I know this question is difficult to answer because really a trade depends on how much a person likes the card and a good trade is when both people are happy. But my daughter isn't at the point yet where she understands gameplay enough to have cards that are particularly important to her...and I know some are worth more that others both in regards to trading and how much they would cost me to buy individually, so I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of insight into how EX trading works...
    I have explained to her about rare, reverse holo, common, and uncommon by the way.
    Also, she has a full art N trainer it's 101/101 that kids keep asking her for. I told her not to trade it until I know more about it. What would be considered fair for that one in particular, also?
    Thank you to anyone who helps!
    (sorry again, this is kind of a jumbled mess. it's 6:30 in the morning and I haven't gone to sleep yet)

Generally, trading an EX for an EX is the closest to actual value you're going to get for an EX. However, some EX cards are worth considerably less than others because The Pokemon Company releases certain EX cards in tins they sell in stores to make those specific EX cards widely available, but this significantly devalues them by quite a bit. Those EX cards from tins still fetch around $5, which is by and large still significantly more than the vast majority of cards with a common, uncommon, or even a "rare" (plain star with no holo patterns) rarity, though that's still less than non-tin EX cards fetch, which is anywhere between $10 and $50 depending on the specific EX card.

Without knowing the card's actual current value (something kids won't be privy to), that EX only for EX rule is probably the simplest and most effective rule to give her.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2016
    I run a store that deals with situations like this, parents trying to protect their kids (of course!). The same news is, just because it's an EX, doesn't mean it's the same value. Right now in the XY series an EX can go over $40, all the way as low as $2.

Honestly the best thing to do is to go to a huge seller like coolstuff and just start searching away. To narrow your search to the exact card type in the card number on the bottom right of the card.

for example: "Mewtwo-EX - 158/162" typed in will bring up that exact card. So you won't have to guess what one it is. Just spend some time doing that and look out for expensive ones. If she has a bunch of low end ones, then just let her trade away and keep checking the new ones.

Back