• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Someone called my on my pokegear and told me something useful.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
  • I learned a small tidbit of information from a phone call. Not exactly useful but interesting. Picknicker Liz (who doesn't battle or give you an item :( ) will tell you about how Falkner's dad was a very strong gym leader with several Pokemon (Some who weren't of the flying type) and how he was very handsome or something. When he left to "Travel" Falkner took control of the gym. Makes me hope Falkner's dad is going to be seen in a later game!

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Lyra or Ethan will tell you about interesting things that might happen if you take certain Pokemon to walk on certain roads or through certain towns.

For instance, taking a Clefairy to the Goldenrod Gym or Cyndaquil to Route... I forgot which.

@ Yusshin: I talk to all the NPCs, too. :) They tell you some really important information at times (especially if you are newer to the game).

ShadowElliot

Wooper
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Wow...
    I didn't know much about all of this...
    Except the time I used Twister before the foe's Pokemon used Fly.
    And using Earthquake before the foe's Pokemon used Dig.
    O_O

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • D: I thought I was the only one who knew that Twister could hit a Pokemon using Fly. ;;
    Though I didn't know Defense Curl + Rollout = Power. Should've kept that move on my Marill...

The only useful call I got was Lyra telling me to take Ampharos to the Lighthouse. My Ampharos fell in love with Jasmin's. xD

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • Could you imagine if whitney's miltank had the rollout combo,
    god that would have been hell :P

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    D: I thought I was the only one who knew that Twister could hit a Pokemon using Fly. ;;
    Though I didn't know Defense Curl + Rollout = Power. Should've kept that move on my Marill...

The only useful call I got was Lyra telling me to take Ampharos to the Lighthouse. My Ampharos fell in love with Jasmin's. xD

I got the same call and my Ampharos sparkled with Jasmin's Ampharos while my other various Pokemon either fell in love or were interested. :laugh:

Could you imagine if whitney's miltank had the rollout combo,
    god that would have been hell :P

Interrupt it!

STUN, STUN, STUN! Or Sleep, Sleep, SLEEEEEEP!

I had never been happier to have a Ghost-type Pokemon on my team.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    I would agree, if I didn't have the Hg + Ss guide book, cause it says that in there.
    But yes, that is useful info.

ALSO if you play the Pokemon March with ya radio, more come.
    Honestly, there's a guy at the second route of the game (Route 29/30 was it?), who tells you the same.

Sometimes actually playing the game and not just the "part of the Pokemon franchise" is fun guys. You should try it XD

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I love getting these phone calls! These are the only tmes I am happy to recieve a phone call. Joey is the worst with his top percentile Ratatta. I was especially happy to learn that Rollout + Defence curl gives a power boost. Those were on my Maril at the time.

Renege

C arry T he F lame
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    I hate Joey! Grr. I don't care about your Rattata! I still answer every call. I don't think I've had any "surprising" phone calls. Sadly.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
  • You know, I thought a lot of people knew about these combos since it seems like Pokemon has gotten pretty competitive, so I would have assumed people would look up combos themselves, but I guess I was wrong! If anyone played Pokemon Stadium 2 and you talked to Earl (the guy who runs the school in Violet City in the Johto Region), he'll teach you all kinds of different combos.

There's also the Swords Dance + Slash combo where you can get really high Attack power, and if you land a critical hit on a Pokemon that maxed out its defense with Stats attacks, then they all become neutral. (But I learned this combo from Pokemon XD).

there are actually some pretty cool combos out there, including:

Swagger/Flatter + Psyche Up
    Swagger + Screech
    Mimic + Imprison
    Safeguard + Thrash/Outrage/Petal Dance

those can be really helpful :)
    I never knew about these combos though.

Forgot who asked this in this thread, but if you use Twister while your opponent uses Fly, Twister does hit your opponent. Same with Sky Uppercut, Hi Jump Kick, Thunder and Gust. I think it does double damage, I'm not sure though.

Dillon: Earthquake does do double damage to Pokemon using Dig.

Years
  • "Did you guys know that humans aren't supposed to eat berries?"
    "Really? No, I didn't. Here try this Rattata poison. Oh here is some antifreeze coolaid to wash it down."

I stopped answering my phone after I got that call.

"What? You almost caught a rattata? It got away? That's too bad. Listen, I'm gonna call you back, I only need one more legendary dog, then I can complete my team. Yeah, Lugia says 'Hi'"

"You fought a magicarp and almost won?!! That is so cool! Kind of reminds me of that time I beat the elite four."

"Your rattata is better than all of the others? Like it is in a league of its own? Cool. Hey, Guess who just defeated Red in an epic battle on top of a mountain? Yeah, that was me. But your rattata story is totally cool too, bro."

"Hi mom! ...Oh? You bought me some more berries? Thanks, I guess... Wait, with my money? But I don't even want them! Did you keep the recipt? No? ******. Stop saving my money."

*Finds silence button on the phone*

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Did you know? The most effective combo in Pokemon is the most inefficient, but it involves this very two-move combo itself.

Firstly, you need the right Pokemon --

Meditite/Medicham/Azurill/Marill/Azumarill + any other Pokemon with Skill Swap
    Cherrim with Helping Hand + Sunny Day
    Shuckle with Power Trick + Defense Curl + Rollout and held Metronome item, maxed DEF EVs.
    Any Pokemon with Screech / Tail Whip, etc.
    Any Pokemon with Swords Dance + Baton Pass

This only works in a double battle. You want to first Baton Pass +6 ATK to Shuckle. Then, you want to Skill Swap Medicham's ability onto Shuckle and have Shuckle use Power Trick. Afterward, send in Cherrim, set up Sunny Day and have Shuckle use Defense Curl. Retreat and use Screech for -6 DEF on an enemy while Shuckle attacks the foes with Rollout. Send Cherrim back out and use Helping Hand on the 5th Rollout. If the foe is a level 1 Yanma or Ledyba and it has negative nature, no IVs or EVs, and you land a critical hit, you should do 213,896,052 damage to it.

Your Shuckle will have:
    Base 230 ATK
    +50% to ATK from Pure Power
    +300% ATK from Swords Dance
    +50% ATK from Flower Gift
    960 base power Rollout 5th hit from Defense Curl
    +50% more power on Rollout from Helping Hand
    +50% more power on Rollout for STAB
    +300% damage from 4x weaknesses of foe
    +100% damage from critical hit
    +50% more damage from Metronome item
    -300% defense on foe from Screech

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    Walk and Curl/Roll points make sense.

I didn't know about the walking, but yeah, it makes sense.
    You get less attention when walking then when running.

Curl/Roll as someone said makes much sense.
    When you use Defense Curl, your Pokemon stretches out, then when it uses Rollout it's easier for it.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2010
    Well. Obviously I haven't gone through the game much, but I heard that this one guy got his rattata killed by a weedle or something. I just don't get how a defense booster gives you ofense for rollout. Maybe because your rolling right into it.....?

lucariojon

{Ruff Rabbit}
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Wow....
    I never knew that either, and I've been a hardcore Pokemon fan for years =/
    That is very helpful!
    This gives me a reason to raise Pokemon with rollout and defense curl XD

Pokegirl98

Just an Average Fangirl
    Years
  • Yea, I did that combo once on accident and was like "what the??" I don't listen to the people on those phones. This morning I called Ethan and he told me to bring a Pichu to the kimono girls dance studio place. I brought my pikachu-colored pichu, absolutley nothing happened. Can somebody please tell me what's going on here?

Back