• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something needs to be done about fake pokemon games

Years
  • As alot of you may know there are an increasing amount of counterfeit pokemon games being sold on the internet nowadays.I recently recieved pokemon leaf green and it was completely fake and after investigating further it turns out that almost every pokemon game on ebay being sold is fake. We can do something about this. We can write to ebay explaining that there should be rules to prove that the pokemon game that is being sold is real.. Share your views..

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    You should only buy stuff from sellers with a high rating. That prevents you from getting scammed. If you did check that then I guess you just got unlucky =|

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    its not that though its the fact that there are so many sellers doing it.. its basically fraud. There should be something that can be done such as a video that should be submitted with the item to prove its real..

Ebay has a guide about that, just search. You should be buying from reputable dealers like Amazon and Best Buy , and you should have known the risks of buying from Ebay anyways. The video idea is not that great anyways because a fraud could just steal an authentic video for proof.

Years
  • Such are the risks of buying anything online. The extra risk is the trade-off for the lower prices. Deal with it, and if you can't, then use proper retailers.

Ayselipera

Strictly Gamestop :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2009
    How do you know if its a fake?
    I got my game from ebay and its seems fine saying that i wouldnt know what a fake would be like.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
  • i went to gamestop once and bought a pokemon diamond game. the game turned out to be a bootlegged fake version of diamond for ds. i did get a new copy of diamond though.

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    I just buy things that I can touch with BOTH my hands. And sure, on places which have a complaints book. Out of kidding, I don't like to buy stuff on Internet, alyhough everyone around me says it is safe and it is cheaper. Blablabla, I better like to go there and buy it and see what am I buying.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I understand that buying a game from a real shop is much safer, but there are some people who can't play diamond or pearl only because not any of those games are available in their city or nearby. These people don't have much choice.

P.S: Can anyone suggest a very safe site where I can buy HG/SS(after they are released, that is) without being cheated as I want those games badly? I can't purchase them from shops as there are no shops here that keeps pokemon games.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Don't buy Pokemon games off eBay if there aren't good pictures of it and if it's located in Hong Kong, China, etc. Those will almost ALWAYS be bootlegs. :| Honestly it's probably just a lot better to buy from other websites. You pay a bit of a premium but if you must have a legit game, it's the safest bet.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • I have even heard of shops having bootleg games.(Not big stores like Wal-Mart and Target, but places like Gamestop) I have acyually played one fake Pokemon game, and that's the fake Diamond and Jade for the GBC. They were actually kinda fun, and I enjoyed them. Their real names are Telefang: Power and Speed.

Anyway, I would have to say what other people have said, and that's to buy games from sites other than ebay. I do know that some people actually like to buy bootlegs though, and that's fine with me.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • I think ebay isn't all that bad if you know what you're doing. The power sellers from Hong Kong are pretty much 100% safe. They get tons of feedback that you can easily check and see what people from the UK, US, and AU think about their games. if you're worried about bootleg games, just check for feedback on the specific game that you're buying (these sellers always sell more than one of the game). I bought Mario Kart DS from a power seller in hong kong and the game is 100% legitimate. It came in its package, shrink wrapped and everything. Brand new game, nothing wrong with it at all.
    I just bought a Platinum from a power-seller in Hong Kong. I should've used the same guy that I bought MKDS, but ah well. I wasn't thinking. This ebay seller had a lot of feedback just the same and was very highly rated. Ebay does a lot with paypal to ensure you don't get scammed. If somebody has a power rating, they are doing something correct.

There's no point in going to gamestop for a used game for cheaper, because 4th gen pokemon games are 30$ used, 35$ brand new. Just pay the 5 more for the brand new game.

I went to gamestop the other day to get credit for my gba sp and some 3rd gen pokemon games, and I was looking at their used GBA games case while I was waiting... and saw a pokemon emerald version game. The only problem was that it was a green sticker with a standard gray cartridge. Suspicious much?

My point is, just be smart on ebay and you'll be fine. If you buy from a random person in HK or China, don't expect everything to run smooth. However if you buy from a power seller from HK or China, you get the same legit US version of the game for about half the price. I always e-mail them questions about shipping, etc. and I get responses back the same day or the next day (depending on when I ask because they might be sleeping).

I've always wondered why the games are so dang cheap though... but I think maybe region locking has something to do with it.

Back