• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soph's Pics...

Soph

Chasing Arcanine with a spoon XD
    Years
    Here is my latest pic and one of my best ever yet ^_^ I am real proud of this one ^_^. Took me a day to draw and another to colour O_o XD.

Soph's Pics...

Soph

Years
    Thank you, guys ^_^ *thrilled* the compliments are really great ^_^. And im glad you all like the color; the effort I put into that was my max effort; I dont usually do it that detailed.

If anyone wnats to know any of the simple techniques I use just ask. Im no great artist or whatever but if your curious, ask and I will tell.

Lady of the Shadows

The Lost One
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2007
    *looks though thread
    Your pics are very cute.
    I think you did good with them.
    The last one kinda cool. Never though to see a Acanine as a FF character. Looks good.

Last edited:

MasakazuTamuraFan

Masazkazu Tamura's #1 fan
    Years
    Soph said:
    I used to have an art thread here but that was on the old PC.

Im not really very confident about my work but I decided I would post my pics here all the same, any feedback is welcome. Um...I do my pics on MS Paint, mostly, and I do them freehand with the mouse, from scratch. I hope people like them...

*nervous about making an art thread* O_o well here are a couple...

This is the first pic I ever did on Paint. I was so bored one day and decided to draw something and it was better than I thought...

Soph's Pics...

Here is one of the first Pokemon ones I did...most of my pics now are of Arcanine. No prizes to who guessed at who inspires them...XD.

Soph's Pics...

I'll post some more if people think these are okay...

That's good. Keep it up. :)

Soph

Years
    you XD
    Purin said:
    Why not share them with us Soph? Like how you coloured that blade?
    My technique isn't great, I usually go by feelings when I draw or colour...
    The blade? taht is actually a real easy technique. I just did lines of blue and white in the blade and then used a smudge tool to mix it together for the effect it came up with ^_^ try it, its easy and looks cool!

I'll do a detailed instruction thing and post it soon ^_^.

Last edited:

Soph

Years
    Guide Number One ;)

As promised I did a small (well big once its posted XD) guide on how I did the colour for the Brotherhood and stuff. Its really very simple (I was just lucky to come up with the idea) and I think it can be done on most graphic and art programs but I can only use mine, PhotoPlus, as a guide. The toolbars and options and so on will differ with programs of course but I just hope I can give a basic idea (I guess im proud of my technique and want to share it properly ^_^)

First of all, I have my PhotoPlus window and my pic (before its coloured.)

Soph's Pics...

Well that is simple enough XD. Okay like I said it?s real easy. All you do now is pick the colours you wanted (in my case blue and white) and draw a few lines of the two colours on the object you want to colour (in my case the Brotherhood, and I did blue and white lines.) oh yes, depending on the size of the object you might want to use a thick brush tip like I did (it blends better) just experiment with all this until it looks right (I did the first colour in the sword 5 or 6 times before I was happy.) here is the screen once I have done my few lines of colour:

Soph's Pics...
    [Note that I have zoomed in to make it easier to see]

Okay next step is to meld the blue and white together, PLEASE NOTE that I was rushed and had homework last night when I made this guide, and the examples are not as good as the actual pic, but the procedure is the same as I used only when I did the pic I put more time into it than I had to make this guide. Anyway, my Smudge tool (the Smudge tool is what you need for this) is found under my retouch tools. It varies with programs but most graphic programs should have one:

Soph's Pics...
    Soph's Pics...

Okay those are where mine are situated. Please note! Important information! If your smudge tool seems to barely be doing anything to smudge your pic, try changing the Brush Tip size if you have the option. A larger brush tip will smudge better, but make it too big and you get a mess. Try changing the size until it looks right when you smudge. Anyway, once its done you should have the colours melded. The smudge will actually drag the blue and white together and get a nice mix of colours, note that I use the same technique on the fur. Here is an example:

Soph's Pics...

I know, it doesn?t look that different, does it? But once you zoom out and have covered a larger area it looks great. Here I have zoomed out to normal size:

Soph's Pics...

Yes I know it doesn?t look as good as the proper pic, but these shots are just to make the guide understandable.

Now, a few more important notes. This process is VERY time consuming and tedious. I took about 10 or more hours on the pic I did, mainly on the colouring process. Im fussy though and not very skilled, mind you. Anyway, it doesn?t work if you try to colour a big area all at once, you usually have to do it in bits, like in the examples where I showed a small bit of the brotherhood being coloured. When you get to the edges, it gets tough. The best thing you can do at edges is to fill in the pixels with a paintbrush, and try to match the colours well. The smudge tool has one annoying factor, and that is that it will smudge your outline if you drag it over it X_X. so when you get to the edges you cant smudge them too well. Just use the tool to drag the colour as close to the edges as you can then fill the rest. Also, as you get to the edges reduce the size of your smudge-tool tip so it doesn?t smudge such large areas.

But, the process may drive you crazy, as it?s so slow and tedious.

When you?re colouring, say like I did for the fur, don?t use TOO many colours. If you need brown, try to use different shades of brown and orange and smudging them; it will also mix the colours and create new ones. In the end you get like a nice meld of browns that look realistic ^_^ you can do it with many colours but try to stick to several shades of a one colour when using this technique.

Anyway, I did the guide as promised ^_^ and even though the slow, dull process means most people just wont even bother trying, maybe some day some one will find this useful ^_^.

~Soph.

Note:Serif Photo Plus is the program I use and can be downloaded at www.serif.com ^_^, if anyone is interested.

Soph

Years
    Guide Number Two (double post O_o sorry!)

Now, some time ago somebody asked me how I did another effect in my pics, so while im on a roll here I will create a guide for it also. If you go back a bit you will find a pic with a winged girl and an Arcanine, the wings drew a lot of attention.

Soph's Pics...

A lot of people wanted to know how I did it. Once again, time consuming, but worth the effort. I will now explain yet another very simple (but slow X_X) process of getting the cool effects.

Right, I actually did most of it on paint! I really like paint; I do most of my drawings on there and colour them on PhotoPlus. Anyway, I started with PhotoPlus to get the colour. For this demo I wont use the original pic because I don?t have an uncoloured version saved. I?ll use a simple, boring XD, heart shape I scribbled on paint just for the guide.

Soph's Pics...

Now, on another program which has effects you can use, just open a small canvas to draw on. Choose a range of pale colours (you can use whatever is appropriate for your pic but im saying pale colours because that is for my example!) now. Same as the other guide; simply draw splodges or swirls or whatever of that colour onto your canvas.

Soph's Pics...

Now, I use the Guassian Blur option in my program to meld the colours, but if you don?t have such an option, you can use the smudge tool or something else. Here is how it works on my program (like I said, this stuff varies, so you?ll have to adapt -_-)

Soph's Pics...
    Soph's Pics...

Now isn?t that pretty? :P. next you copy that, and paste it into paint. Make your paint window bigger than the pic (the little patch of colour I mean, not the pic your going to use it on.)

Soph's Pics...

Important! MAKE SURE that the Draw Opaque option is DE-SELECTED like in the example! Or this will not work!

Now, erase around your little square of colour until you have a small circle or oval of your fave part.

Soph's Pics...

Now, it?s easy. Copy the little oval but outlining it with the Free Form Select tool (the star in the upper left corner) and pasting it repeatedly on the page. If draw opaque is de-selected you should be able to paste them all together so they look kind of like scales.

Soph's Pics...

Paste them a LOT of times until you have a large area of pretty colours :D. if you like, you can then take the file over to another program and use the Smudge to smooth out the lines between each colour-shape-thingy.

Soph's Pics...

Now, you have what ya need! Paste the colours onto paint and then get your pic. Now, once again ensure Draw Opaque is de-selected. Paste your pic, and lo and behold, it appears above the colour.

Soph's Pics...

(No, its not perfect?im meant to be doing homework!)

Now, the dull part X_X. get your eraser, and erase all the colour outside the pic, leaving only the colour on the inside where you want it.

Soph's Pics...

I haven?t done it properly, no, but you get the idea. Important! Pay attention! :P. now, you cant use the whacking great eraser when you get close to the lines of your pic. I have discovered one lovely little thing about paint. We all know if you do the regular left-click while using the paintbrush, it will draw a pixel. Well, on our dear Paint, use the RIGHT CLICK while using the paintbrush and it will act as a single-pixel eraser. Hold the mouse button down to use the paintbrush-right-click combo to erase those small pixels near the lines that the eraser would mess up.

And there you have it everyone, your guide. Bleah. And I better get this work done as its midnight and I have upcoming exams so im supposed to be getting lots of sleep X_X.

Note one thing. This technique can be used in a hundred other ways. For instance, if you drew a pic where some one is wearing jeans but you cant colour jeans to look like denim and want them realistic, all you have to do is get a pic of the material jeans are made of and put it on paint. You then paste your other pic on top of it and erase all the jeans pic behind it except for the jeans in your pic. This effectively puts actual jeans texture where you want it in the pic or whatever. It works for anything really, just paste your pic onto whatever you want too (with draw opaque de-selected!) and erase the bits you don?t need. It may be slow and tedious but it looks real nice ^_^.

Whoever knew paint could do so much? Lol.

Hope these two guides were worth the 3-4 hours I spent on them! Darn screenshots.

~Soph.

Soph

Years
    Purin said:
    That's very good tutorial Soph! Maybe you can submit it into the Tech Institute? I think I remember a function in my program that can do the same effect without having to switch over to MS Paint...I'll try it out sometime later.
    Its not good enough for the tech insitute O_O its just a simple thing I made into a great big tutorial..eh...I mean....would many people really care how to do that stuff? I mean...I dunno, I never felt my art or skills are all that good, to be in the tech insitute and stuff.

Purin

Crazy about Pink Hairdos
    Years
    Soph said:
    Its not good enough for the tech insitute O_O its just a simple thing I made into a great big tutorial..eh...I mean....would many people really care how to do that stuff? I mean...I dunno, I never felt my art or skills are all that good, to be in the tech insitute and stuff.
    Well, sometimes you need to be more confident of yourself Soph. From what I see, you can draw and colour better than many others. ^^

Soph

Years
    Purin said:
    Well, sometimes you need to be more confident of yourself Soph. From what I see, you can draw and colour better than many others. ^^
    Oooh......thank you ^_^. I have never put anything in the tech institute before though...I dunno how to submit stuf...and....im shy to do it...

well....anyway.....

I have a newie pic to postie! Whee!

This new one has not been coloured yet. When I first tried my Final Fantasy/Pokemon combination with the Arcanine pic it worked out way better than I thought so I decided to take it a little further and try a new one. This time I picked Mew (well if Andy can be a FF character in his Pokemon form why cant I? XD) I chose to base her (I should call her Mewna XD) on Yuna from FFX-2. Yuna is my fave female FF character (not that I played many of the games XD) and I think her X-2 costume is really cool (and a little weird. XD.) The pose should be familiar; I used an X-2 picture as a guide (the clothes are freaking hard to draw right >_>) (I haven?t even got X-2 yet only X.) XD. Any way here is the pic (I will post a color version when I have done it.)

Soph's Pics...

There we go, my new piccy! It?s difficult to decide which features to change to humanoid and which features to keep Pokemon. The head is Pokemon of course (duh XD) I also kept her tail, in place of that long hair thingy or whatever it is Yuna has. The feet are those of mew (somewhat long XD) and I gave her different shoes (the boots just didn't look right XD.) other than that I think Mewna is kinda humanoid. Had to give her longer arms than Mew the Pokemon. I think the toughest bit about doing these pics is deciding how to make my characters both Pokemon and humanoid, without changing the original Pokemon too much. I have to change the features a fair bit.

When I colour it, if anyone is curious, well I plan to use the method in Guide no.1 that I posted for her skirt (well, half skirt XD) and her fur. Same method I used on Arcy/Andy?s fur and his Brotherhood.

Now finally, very important notice! This is for everyone reading this post that knows me and knows Andy. I know that Andy/Arcy was based on Tidus and Mewna on Yuna, but there is no connection whatsoever between my pics and the fact that their base characters are in love on the games. NOBODY is to assume that my drawing myself as an FF character based on Yuna and Andy as one based on Tidus means we are in love because we are NOT! Im not even alluding to that! We are Just. Very. Good. Friends! I don?t care if those two are in love on X and X-2, there is no connection with that fact and the pics I have done! YOU ALL GET IT? I just have to specify that because I know there is an old Andy-and-Soph rumour floating around and I don?t want anyone making assumptions like that over what I drew. Even my old Arcy and mew pics never meant Andy and I were in love. We are close friends and we do care about each other, but I should have specified before that it isn?t love. Just good, strong and loyal friendship. I picked Tidus to base Andy/Arcy on because I like Tidus and he is my fave FF character, and I picked Yuna to base my FF self on because I like her character and I also like her clothes (well apart from a few aspects...I would never, ever wear an outfit like that IRL O_O XD). These are my special characters, and the only real similarity between them and the FF characters they is based on is the clothes. Realistically, to achieve a pic that balances between FF and Pokemon, the only way to identify it as a final fantasy character pic is to have the clothes or some other feature of a well-known FF character. So I would just like to stress here that there is no hidden message of love or something in these pics *rolls eyes* they are just done for the personal enjoyment of making Pokemon into FF characters, based on my friend (and maybe other friends too, soon!) and myself. (Well the original Arcy/Andy/FF pic was done as a gift for Andy but I had a great time drawing it.) Anyway, my point: Andy and Soph: not in love! End of story! Period! The rumour is not true! WROAAAH!

Ahem. Hope you all like the pic, anyway. XD.

Back