• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Special Anime Discussion #20: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

You've seen it now, what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    I wasn't able to see the opening..but I am taping it now. You guys make it sound terrible; I don't think I really want to watch it now XD.

Anyways May's voice...to low x.X Like before with Misty it just doesn't sound as....'light' as it used to. And Brock's......ew. X___X

I still think Max sounds weird. <_<

Yeah, this dub is horrible horrible horrible. Pokemon went from actually having one of the best dubs on TV at the moment to the worst. I'd even call this thing worse than the One Piece dub. May's VA is really the one I don't like the most, it's a good VA, but she just does not fit at all. I can't believe I was actually okay with Nintendo casting new voices. This is just...gah, I feel so bad for Eric and Veronica right now.

God it was stupid thing to do, replacing Pikachu...

I don't actually agreee it was the 'best dub' *coughFmacough* around, but I did agreee that One piece was the crappiest, and now..I think they are the same x__X I KNEW Ash's VA sounded familair...and now I know why *barfs* I've...*pukes*....always hated Luffy's dubbed voice...and now Pokemon..one of my fave Anime......*dies*

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    IS THIS A JOKE!?!?!?!?

Sorry for the outburst... I just seriously cannot stand this. Ash's voice is APPALLING. Same with May & Brock. And I miss James' adorable voice! The new one sounds like he has MAJOR sinus problems.

The only voices that sound CLOSE to being like the original's is Max, Misty, Prof. Oak, and Meowth. But this is an outrage.

And now it seems their going back to the VERY beginning of Pokemon, as in everyone is stupidly pronouncing "Pokemon" as Pokamon as opposed to the correct "PokAYmon" and Team Rocket just made a stupid just involving Rattata, and pronounced it in the stupidest way.

This just isn't right.

If this continues, I will NOT watch the next dubbed season of Pokemon. I guess it'll be going to the Jap. subs.

Why couldn't you get at least good SOUND ALIKES PUSA? Why???

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    May just sounds much too old for her character now, there's nothing about the VA that matches her. Ash is just...it sounds like puberty hit him like a brick wall all at once. Brock sounds like a chain smoker, Misty and Max are the only ones with okay voices. Whoever is doing the Master of Mirage Pokemon is sounding too much like a generic 80's villain. I won't even comment on Team Rocket's voices, they're just...meh.

The special itself is good, sounds like Japanese music, silences are kept, the plot is good...the voices are just too bad to save it.

animeforever04

pokemonfan
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Aug 23, 2009
    FujiTV reported that Ikue Ohtani was taking a leave of absence because she was in "poor physical condition" (literal translation), based on this ANN reported that she was ill. ANN has now confirmed that Ohtani is not ill, but in in fact on maternity leave. All other information in the news post about her replacements is correct. ANN regrets this mistake

reaSON DIFF/ PIKA VOICE
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8206

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Oh, so I was right aboutthem changing TR's VA also...dear god.

.......dear GOD Ash's voice is annoying, but I can't stop watching for some reason. x__X I am getting a migrane...

FujiTV reported that Ikue Ohtani was taking a leave of absence because she was in "poor physical condition" (literal translation), based on this ANN reported that she was ill. ANN has now confirmed that Ohtani is not ill, but in in fact on maternity leave. All other information in the news post about her replacements is correct. ANN regrets this mistake

reaSON DIFF/ PIKA VOICE
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8206

Oh, so you mean this new voice is the new Japanese Pikachu voice?

I thought just the dub decided to change it. o__O I thought it was stupid...now I know why though. <__> That sucks....

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    If I'm correct, Ash's new voice is the one who does Koby's voice in the One Pice Dub.

Years
    • Seen today
    Shadow Chaos said:
    If I'm correct, Ash's new voice is the one who does Koby's voice in the One Pice Dub.
    It's the same VA as Luffy's, someone on another board confirmed it already. The VA is a freelancer, so he can dub for whoever he wants.

usami

biohazard
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    The one thing annoying me the most is how the Mirage person keeps saying Poka mon.

Even though most of the voices are meh, this is what bothers me the most.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Orignally posted by Kazuhito
    It's the same VA as Luffy's, someone on another board confirmed it already. The VA is a freelancer, so he can dub for whoever he wants.

freelancer? Can dub WHOEVER HE WANTS??? *overkill* He shouldn't be allowed to dub ANYONE with those terrible va skills...*dies* I wonder why people hire him in the first place. ~___~ I feel bad for Veronica...*dies*

Hamstar

HALLO.
    Years
    Here's my opinion about this...

Ash--I started CRYING when Ash started talking in the beginning....The voice sounds NOTHING AT ALL like the old voice....And I hate it...

Brock--He sounds like he's drunk...

May--She sounds too old....

Max--Pretty much, he sounds the same and I really don't care....

Misty--Holy cow....no.....she sounds even worse than ME when I try to immitate her >.>

Prof. Oak--Whatever >.>

Meowth-- *deep breath* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1! ;_;
    Meowth had to have had the BEST VOICE EVER!!! X(

James--He sounds drunk too, like Brock >.>

Jessie--Her voice sounds somewhat the same......but I still hate it >.>

Any others I missed? o.O

Years
    • Seen today
    Don't double post.

Also, a quick view of the credits showed that Oak's VA is the original one he had for the first 30 or so episodes.

Years
    • Seen today
    The story was okay at the best. I didn't like how Brock wasn't in it for most of it...though I'm not sure I could stand it with his voice. 13 minutes into the thing and I wanted to turn it off. The voices really killed it for me though, May's and Misty's were the only good voices, and even thoses were miscasted.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    EmeraldSky said:
    ::backs a semi truck into the PUSA mail drop and dumps 50,000 letters of complaint down the chute::

Agreed. I've already sent them an email.

Everyone, WE MUST send them laters to save the old VA's!!

Back