• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sphere Team Request

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
Years
  • Sphere uses javascript not java,I think I would know i am coding a game in sphere.

Here is some proof

Declaring Variables in JAVA
    Code:
       // integers
            byte largestByte = Byte.MAX_VALUE;
            short largestShort = Short.MAX_VALUE;
            int largestInteger = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
            long largestLong = Long.MAX_VALUE;

// real numbers
            float largestFloat = Float.MAX_VALUE;
            double largestDouble = Double.MAX_VALUE;

// other primitive types
            char aChar = 'S';
            boolean aBoolean = true;

Declaring variables in JavaScript
    Code:
    var boolean = true;
    var number = 67463;
    var string = "Java is a completley different language to javascript"

As you would know if you knew anything in javascript you dont have to declare what data type your variables are in javascript
    Boolean,integer,string etc.

Last edited:
    Years
  • yay for booda.. wish i knew what to do with that stuff though..

EDIT: can you have alphanumerical variables? wow kool! you can have variable strings! with words n stuff..

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • I can hear the gears of Meerkat's mind turning, the endless possiblilities.

But just remember that you have to learn to do everything just right or it all falls appart! Yay! Just imagine working hours on something, and you put the wrong symbol in one little thingy and your program's worthless if you can't find it! I can picture it now... a very upset Meerkat. ;)

Years
  • lol. isn't there some kind of code scanner to check if you have incorrect coding somewhere? I'm pretty sure it tells you where the coding is broken like ERROR: Line 32 Wrong Syntax.. or something... you just have to know how to understand what its trying to tell you.

I have used a game maker with coding similar to javascript before.. it was relatively easy and had lots of extra help and inbuilt things like rm2k.. it's called GM the latest one is GM 5 i think.. i made a 1945 style plane game.. I did a tutorial then adapted the coding a bit.. i had 2 player stuff working as well.. its not really that hard. There is even online capabilities. You could program a 3d game with it as well, I have seen it done! Here is the URL: http://www.gamemaker.nl/ lol just found it then. Do you guys want to switch to GM? I have seen about 2 pokemon games made with it and they didnt really use the full potential of GM. You can sell games you make with GM too!

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    hey we don't wanna do it with gamemaker but we wanna do it with the game facotry it is just like the game maker an better and you guys can use my serial number aswell www.clickteam.com they have alot of game maker programs

Years
  • How is it better? This requires no coding, unless you get experienced. you can do anything with this. I have seen very good zelda games made with it.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    i have used game maker and i do not like it you can make anything with tgf i once made a rpg engine serioulsy i think that we shouldnt use game makr or tgf for a rpg becuase game maker isnt that good tgf is good and you can make a good rpg with it but i am not sure about pok?mon games with any of them

HiKaizer

Beer Drinking Dragon God
    Years
  • Jedi_Amara said:
    If you can track down HiKaizer and pin him down to some work he may help you, he's pretty good with Sphere. I'd help but I haven't time.

Thanks JA but all I managed to do was get a title screen up and make a map with a few characters on it. Getting a conversation going takes a bit so imagine what a full game would be. Also Sphere ses odd file types, anyone know what it uses for animations?

I'd be willing to have a go at it though. But it would probably be slow until I finish this year (Year 12) as I know very little Java Script and need to study. But I had thoughts of going back to sphere anyway.

jaz_jaz

The Elite Trainer
    Years
  • well first beforen we can start a game, we need to know who's doing what (also what version of sphere werre gunna use, i dont know if this matters)

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
    Years
  • In sphere it does tell what line the sytax error is on.
    And sphere uses .mng, .flc, .flic, .fli animations but you can also uses tiles on maps or with a bit of coding you can use sprite sets :D

Years
  • dude "java"script is just another form, as i said theres many forms, that are just like java, and some that arent. if java script was exactly java then it wouldnt be called javascript. its just another type.

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
    Years
  • Yes but thats what not what im arguing about,im saying that sphere dosent use java like you and other people have said in this thread and there is no other way of looking at it if you put java code into a sphere script the point is the engine wont run not matter how similar to javascript it is.
    Simple as.
    Now get over it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree. We will be using sphere because that is (correct me if im wrong) what the thread is about a team for.
    Java is a popular language and there are many forms in use for different Game Makers, we are using Javascript like Booda said and we need to learn more if we are to make a game.

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    eh. i don't wanna make this game no more cant be bothered

HiKaizer

Beer Drinking Dragon God
    Years
  • All good things take time. Anyway I don't CARE what the language sphere uses is called since the name isn't that big a deal anyway. And I meant what it uses for animatios, i.e what goes in the animations folder (it could be like RM2k style anims or just movie clips. I am not sure)

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
    Years
  • umm....sphere uses javascript, just a different type, if you knew anything then you would know there is many many many java languages
    Convienient how you edited your posts and that use to say "sphere uses java just a different type."
    So yes you did say sphere uses java,otherwise we wouldn't be having this argument.
    I think someone cant face they are wrong.

Back