• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
I made a tutorial on how to edit buildings in Platinum. For HGSS the process should be very similar, but the game files are located in different folders.
You can watch the tutorial here:

I tried to to it, but it didn't work. I tried to find the place where the files were in HGSS, but I didn't find it.
Would you know where it is?

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
I tried to to it, but it didn't work. I tried to find the place where the files were in HGSS, but I didn't find it.
Would you know where it is?

I will make a separate a new tutorial explaining that. I have discovered something extra that has to be done in order to make buildings work

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
I will make a separate a new tutorial explaining that. I have discovered something extra that has to be done in order to make buildings work

I see. I can't wait for that :D
Btw, do you could explain the use of some features in SPDSMS?
Like:

Furnitures;
Flags;
And why in the PDSMS, the X and Y coordinates are shown with its right numbers, but in PPRE, the numbers are shown different, with 3 numbers, etc...
I'm trying to change the place of a board, but even change its position on the events, it doesn't change.

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
I see. I can't wait for that :D
Btw, do you could explain the use of some features in SPDSMS?
Like:

Furnitures;
Flags;
And why in the PDSMS, the X and Y coordinates are shown with its right numbers, but in PPRE, the numbers are shown different, with 3 numbers, etc...
I'm trying to change the place of a board, but even change its position on the events, it doesn't change.

Furnitures:
Well, furnitures are very similar to Buildings. DP, PT puts furniture and buildings in the same group. They are just 3D models that can be placed into the map, which can't interact with the player.
In HGSS the game has one list for buildings and another one for furniture, but they work the same as in DPPT.
For BW I haven't investigated but I think it's the same as for the other games.

Flags:
I haven't tested scripts in depth so I can't tell much about flags. But as far as I know, they should work the same as in GBA, with the difference that there are many groups of flags and each map can use one of them. (maybe there are also global flags that work for all maps?)

XY coordinates:
I don't get the problem haha In PDSMS the coordinates are XY for the top view, and Z for the height. In SDSME, the coordinates are different, and the Y becomes Z and Z becomes Y, and they start at the top left corner. But you can look how buildings (or furniture) are placed in the original maps.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
Furnitures:
Well, furnitures are very similar to Buildings. DP, PT puts furniture and buildings in the same group. They are just 3D models that can be placed into the map, which can't interact with the player.
In HGSS the game has one list for buildings and another one for furniture, but they work the same as in DPPT.
For BW I haven't investigated but I think it's the same as for the other games.

Flags:
I haven't tested scripts in depth so I can't tell much about flags. But as far as I know, they should work the same as in GBA, with the difference that there are many groups of flags and each map can use one of them. (maybe there are also global flags that work for all maps?)

XY coordinates:
I don't get the problem haha In PDSMS the coordinates are XY for the top view, and Z for the height. In SDSME, the coordinates are different, and the Y becomes Z and Z becomes Y, and they start at the top left corner. But you can look how buildings (or furniture) are placed in the original maps.

I didn't used hack in GBA, so I didn't get what is flags, sorry haha xD
For the XY coordinates, I'll take a print to show you what I mean

And also, I'm using a Platinum tileset (Tileset 6, the first one on PDSME), but the berry farm aren't showing on the map finished. On the game, it's showing as a blank tile.
And another question is that the tables and boards are set on the map by using events on Pt (different from HGSS, which uses the 3D buildings). But those events doesn't show the object it uses. On the overworld table, the number is different from the object number on the buildings' screen.

Sorry for too much question... I'm pretty new on the hack rom universe. I've just used to make games on Pokémon Essentials, which is almost done, and I'm trying to migrate my game to the DS.)

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
I didn't used hack in GBA, so I didn't get what is flags, sorry haha xD
For the XY coordinates, I'll take a print to show you what I mean

And also, I'm using a Platinum tileset (Tileset 6, the first one on PDSME), but the berry farm aren't showing on the map finished. On the game, it's showing as a blank tile.
And another question is that the tables and boards are set on the map by using events on Pt (different from HGSS, which uses the 3D buildings). But those events doesn't show the object it uses. On the overworld table, the number is different from the object number on the buildings' screen.

Sorry for too much question... I'm pretty new on the hack rom universe. I've just used to make games on Pokémon Essentials, which is almost done, and I'm trying to migrate my game to the DS.)

Hmmm well if you did not hack in GBA it is a little bit more difficult to explain, but i'll try. I will give an incomplete description, but it will be enough.
FLAGS:
They are some kind of "memory" which is used for saving the actions that have ocurred in the game. For example, let's take the script that happens when you take your first pokemon in any game. You want that this script to happen only once in the whole game, so that when you recieve the pokemon, you don't go again through that script and take a second pokemon. So, after you recieve it, the script dissables a flag that is used only for registering if you have taken your first pokemon. So if you try to go again trough the script of taking the first pokemon, the game will check the value of the flag and will see that it is dissabled, then the script will not execute again.

BERRY FARM:
That might be because the texture and palette name for that material are not the same as in the map's NSBTX. (The author of the tileset must have forgotten doing this)
You can see how to change the texture and palette name in this video, starting from min 6:00:

BOARDS:
I don't understand this last question xD the furniture in Platinum are buildings like in HGSS.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
Hmmm well if you did not hack in GBA it is a little bit more difficult to explain, but i'll try. I will give an incomplete description, but it will be enough.
FLAGS:
They are some kind of "memory" which is used for saving the actions that have ocurred in the game. For example, let's take the script that happens when you take your first pokemon in any game. You want that this script to happen only once in the whole game, so that when you recieve the pokemon, you don't go again through that script and take a second pokemon. So, after you recieve it, the script dissables a flag that is used only for registering if you have taken your first pokemon. So if you try to go again trough the script of taking the first pokemon, the game will check the value of the flag and will see that it is dissabled, then the script will not execute again.

BERRY FARM:
That might be because the texture and palette name for that material are not the same as in the map's NSBTX. (The author of the tileset must have forgotten doing this)
You can see how to change the texture and palette name in this video, starting from min 6:00:

BOARDS:
I don't understand this last question xD the furniture in Platinum are buildings like in HGSS.

I see.
I got about the flags now, but can I edit them? Like, I want to set a flag that, when I choose my first Poke and go out the Lab, my rival shows up, enter the lab and go out too. Can I make it?
Or even, is there a list with the flags of the game?

I fixed the texture problems. Thanks! :D

About the boards, there is a lot of questions.
The boards I mean, is the ones which indicates the route you where, the places you where (like the city). They are set by event, but it's set with a overwolrd sprite (91, 92, 93...). I don't know why, since they are 3D models, not sprites.
Also, I'm trying to edit it texts too (and the arrow from the route ones), but the script is confusing since it uses a "CallMsgBox" command, with a number that I don't know what it means, since the true text is shown in a line of the map's text.

And also, how to edit the map's name too?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
I see.
I got about the flags now, but can I edit them? Like, I want to set a flag that, when I choose my first Poke and go out the Lab, my rival shows up, enter the lab and go out too. Can I make it?
Or even, is there a list with the flags of the game?

I fixed the texture problems. Thanks! :D

About the boards, there is a lot of questions.
The boards I mean, is the ones which indicates the route you where, the places you where (like the city). They are set by event, but it's set with a overwolrd sprite (91, 92, 93...). I don't know why, since they are 3D models, not sprites.
Also, I'm trying to edit it texts too (and the arrow from the route ones), but the script is confusing since it uses a "CallMsgBox" command, with a number that I don't know what it means, since the true text is shown in a line of the map's text.

And also, how to edit the map's name too?

FLAGS:
That is a bit complex and I can't explain all of it here but in SDSME, you can see that each event can have a flag, and also you can check the value of a flag using scripts. Those are the 2 methods of applying flags. You can check GBA scripting tutorials to see how to use them (it's pretty much the same concept).
I don't know if someone has made a list of the usage of flags. I believe that needs to be done. For now you can try and check if the flag you pick works.

BOARDS:
Okay now I get what you mean. Yeah, there are some overworlds that are 3D models. If you want to replace the model, you need to use a tool like MKDS Course Modifier or Tinke. You should find the NARC that contains the 3D models and replace the one you want.

For editing the texts I think you can use PPRE (SDSME can work too maybe). Each map has a collection of texts that are used inside them. So, let's say you want to edit the text in Twinleaf Town in Platinum. That map has header 0411. You should go to the header editor of SDSME, and check the data of the header 0411. It should have a field called "texts", indicating the number of collection of texts. For Twinleaf town it is text collection 554. If you double click in that number you can go to the tex editor. And you will see all the texts used in the map. I'm not sure if SDSME lets you edit them. Instead you could use PPRE.

MAP'S NAME
For editing the map's name you have to open a certain text collection. It is a list of the place's names. In platinum it is text collection 433. I don't know the number for HGSS so you should find it.

Acent

I found the hacking world is too big for me!
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 24, 2021
I have a question about Buildings Mapping.
I tried to editing building for SDSME , but I think it doesn't work.
What's the problem?
Spoiler:

Please help me !

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
I have a question about Buildings Mapping.
I tried to editing building for SDSME , but I think it doesn't work.
What's the problem?
Spoiler:

Please help me !

I made a tutorial on how to make buildings but it is outdated. I need to add a few extra steps for fixing it. You can wait until I upload the updated video.

EDIT: Also, I can't see the image you posted xD

Acent

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Sorry for my late reply.
I couldn't identify why is the buildings became white,
but I was able to solved the problem by using PDSMAP !
(Specifically, I inserted the 3D model directly into PDSMAP. In that case, it worked ! )
Just look at this 👇

Your tool is really useful !
Thank you :)

P.S. Could you explain how to use "Originally Posted by ~" ?
Actually , I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 26, 2022
Sorry for my late reply.
I couldn't identify why is the buildings became white,
but I was able to solved the problem by using PDSMAP !
(Specifically, I inserted the 3D model directly into PDSMAP. In that case, it worked ! )
Just look at this 👇

Your tool is really useful !
Thank you :)

P.S. Could you explain how to use "Originally Posted by ~" ?
Actually , I don't know how to do that.

Great! It's looking cool!
I'm glad that you like the tool.

For the "Originally Posted by ~" you have to click on "Respond" and then hit the blue pencil button at the bottom left part of the screen

Acent

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Great! It's looking cool!
I'm glad that you like the tool.

For the "Originally Posted by ~" you have to click on "Respond" and then hit the blue pencil button at the bottom left part of the screen

Thank you for your explanation !

Acent

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Excuse me, but I have a question for platinum mapping.
I edited "mapname.bin" using HxD. (Add the line)
Then replace it and open SDSME.
As expected, the Map Header Added.
I added scripts, Maps, Matrix, and Events.
Edited them and Map header.
But the Warp Events is not work :( (I added cave map, but I couldn't into that cave. The warp is always go to Jubilife City.)
I think Header and event is successfully edited.
What is the problem ? Please Help me !

Acent

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 24, 2021
I have solved the problem. No, I found it impossible to add Headers.
It seems the coordinates of fly is stored after Map Header (Arm9.bin).
So I think we cannot add Map Headers.
Thank you.

Back