• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprite fix

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Hey guys,

I tried my hand at creating a custom sprite and have some issues. I did it in Paint and .... well, Paint corrupted it, changing all the colours and adding extra colour gradients in where non existed prior.

I have tried fixing, but it won't save in 16 Color format, so seemingly there's still something wrong. Every time I save it, the colours seem to change too, which is infuriating.

Could somebody help me tweak this so it will be compatible for my GBA hack?

I don't think it will take too much work (for someone who knows what they're doing - unlike me!), but if it does then I am willing to provide compensation for your work.

Also, because I'm an amateur, the shading is..... meh. So if you are able to tweak that to look less crappy then I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

ul0uLAG.png

Years
  • Can you show us how the color keeps changing each time? I only see a few off colors in the current sprite, it just like when colors were switched they were a few stray pixels that were not changed, not corruption.

VF6IF3v.png

Shades that are very close and look alike from far away, but are not the same.

I don't know much about how to actually get it to be put into a game, but here's all color errors fixed in terms of keeping everything the same shade. Like I said, not sure what the original colors needed to be.

It's a .png, there are 12 colors plus the background transparency.
    WT8rndI.png

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Well, all the colours changed completely to very different shades. I corrected the ones that were wildy off, but - as you pointed out - it must have made some varying gradients for some reason. They were originally done as the same colour :/

Anyway, thanks for that although unfortunately the game needs it to be in bmp format in 12 colors including the background. I tried altering one of the colors in paint to remove it but it refused to save as 12 colors - converting it all to something that looks almost monochrome. Is it possible to tweak to remove that extra colour?

I should probably use a proper program but this will be my only custom sprite (that I do anyway).

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    I've removed the darker shading part of her skin, but I'm still having problems converting to bmp. It should now be 12 colors including the background, but still won't convert.

Any help please? Thanks

WT8rndI%201.png

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    ezimba14901066068700.png

It's been over a decade since I've tried to work with gen 3 sprites but here goes.

I had a crack at the shading like you asked, gave her a more rounded head of hair, tried to create a more natural flow to her, fixed some of the anatomy up and sorted out the hand perspective. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you :) Anything else you want a hand with drop me a line

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    I had a crack at the shading like you asked, gave her a more rounded head of hair, tried to create a more natural flow to her, fixed some of the anatomy up and sorted out the hand perspective. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you :) Anything else you want a hand with drop me a line

Thanks! It's my first one so not surprised the proportions weren't right!

Is there anyway to keep the pink in the hair, or did that have to be removed because of the colour limitations?

Also could you please put it in 16 color BMP format? I need it in that format to upload into NSE. My paint still refuses to put it in that format. If I try I get an error message and it turns everything monochrome. Ugh :/

Thanks again :)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Thanks! It's my first one so not surprised the proportions weren't right!

Is there anyway to keep the pink in the hair, or did that have to be removed because of the colour limitations?

Also could you please put it in 16 color BMP format? I need it in that format to upload into NSE. My paint still refuses to put it in that format. If I try I get an error message and it turns everything monochrome. Ugh :/

Thanks again :)

It's a problem with paint I think, it sets it to 8 colour, not 16. I can change the hair if you'd like but I'd have to change a few other bits too for colour limit

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    It's a problem with paint I think, it sets it to 8 colour, not 16. I can change the hair if you'd like but I'd have to change a few other bits too for colour limit

That would be great if you could! The main sticking point is that the hair is red with pink bits, the dress is white, and the leggings are striped white and red. As long as it looks like that, anything else is expendable.

What program can I download to get it in the 16 color bmp format, or are you able to do that too?

Thanks a lot for your help bud. I appreciate it :)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    That would be great if you could! The main sticking point is that the hair is red with pink bits, the dress is white, and the leggings are striped white and red. As long as it looks like that, anything else is expendable.

What program can I download to get it in the 16 color bmp format, or are you able to do that too?

Thanks a lot for your help bud. I appreciate it :)

Not much I can do about the format I'm afraid mate, on a work computer and currently without a laptop at home, although someone in rom hacking could probably sort it

ezimba14901042306200.png

Is this a better palette? I'm trying to stick with colours from the game(s) to ensure compatibility, I can change it up a bit though if you wanted.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Not much I can do about the format I'm afraid mate, on a work computer and currently without a laptop at home, although someone in rom hacking could probably sort it

ezimba14901042306200.png

Is this a better palette? I'm trying to stick with colours from the game(s) to ensure compatibility, I can change it up a bit though if you wanted.

I prefer the one before with the vibrant red hair. Don't worry about sticking to the original palette. I can alter the colours manually. Each battle sprite has
    a custom palette so as long as it remains within the limit it should be ok.

I'm after pretty much what you had before but with a stripe of pink through the hair.

Don't worry about the conversion. As long as it is within the limit, I should be able to find someone to change the format! :)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I prefer the one before with the vibrant red hair. Don't worry about sticking to the original palette. I can alter the colours manually. Each battle sprite has
    a custom palette so as long as it remains within the limit it should be ok.

I'm after pretty much what you had before but with a stripe of pink through the hair.

Don't worry about the conversion. As long as it is within the limit, I should be able to find someone to change the format! :)

ezimba14901084217100.png

Something more like this?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Yup. Could you make it going down the other side though like in the original picture? It's not easy to see in the original though as it was only a pixel thick!

Thanks!

ezimba14901051824500.png

This'll have to be my last edit buddy, my workload has increased tenfold today and i'm already leaving late so will likely have no free desk time to continue this tomorrow. Someone else is more than welcome to edit it if you have any other additions you want on it though, or i can pick it back up when I'm next quiet.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    That's perfect now thanks :)

I appreciate your help :)

Not at all buddy, glad I could help. If you need anything else feel free to drop me a line, if I'm quiet at work I'll whip something up

Back