• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprite Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
    Years
    I am bloody sick and tired of this, 5 or more people have been stealing my Sprites like my Kakashi Trainer sprite am i am really pissed off.

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
    If you're having real problems with people stealing your sprites, I'd suggest putting a watermark over them. It may make things not look as nice, but that way, nobody should take them without your permission.

I'm sorry your work has been stolen - I have had some of my art stolen in the past and I know how horrible it feels.

--FG

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
    Years
    Yeah i found out DragonSlayer(Ryan) told them that he made it and that it was his, so hes the one to blame, heres the account of it.

Houndoom1 said:
    Um are you mad that people have your trainer sprite on their comics? Well I have it on the character profile of mine but.... IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!! DRAGONSLAYER(RYAN) SAID IT WAS HIS SO I THOUGHT IT WAS AND PUT IT IN MY CHARACTER PROFILE NOT KNOWING IT WAS YOURS SO DID ALLTHE OTHER COMIC OWNERS THEAT DSR HAS JOINED COMICS OF..... so thats why it's like that.... if its okay shall give you credit for it or jusr find something else?

Years
    Fanart of any kind is actually a violation of the original owners copyrights, so when people make something based off of someone else's characters and copyright it there is no purpose.

Fanart is usually tolerated because the maker is doing it for non-profit.

So saying a sprite is copyright to you, doesn't legally do jack.

Art theft sucks, but there's really nothing you can do because you don't own what you've created.

Years
    Kent Colton Rogers said:
    Technically, they have ownership of the work as they put their work into making the fanart (bearing in mind that the work is non-profit).

Regardless, it is your work and regardless of copyright issues, stealing work isn't a good thing and by law nothing can be done about it, but by the rules it's discouraged (though not an official rule).

I'm not trying to argue for art theft, I realize that it's a horrible thing. However, even in technicallity this individual has no ownership of what he/she created. Especially considering it was probably a modification.

These are some copyright related rules within U.S. Law.

DO NOT claim your fanart to be original. - That statement is an oxymoron. Nothing you create that's based off something that already exists is original. Just because your fanart puts the character in a different outfit, or your fan story uses the same thesis but a different setting does not make them original.

DO NOT claim your fanart to be your property. - Fanart is a modification of a copyrighted image. Thusly, fanart is NOT YOUR PROPERTY. Claiming that your fanart is your property is a stricty copyright violation.

DO NOT sell, auction, make any sort of profit, from your fanart. - AGAIN, fanart is NOT YOUR PROPERTY. What is not yours, you cannot sell. For example... Someone is holding an art auction. I like Cowboy Bebop and can draw the characters well. So I draw a picture of Spike that looks just like Spike and then auction if off. That is against COPYRIGHT LAW. You CANNOT make a profit or even USE a copyrighted image without written consent of it's creator(s) and/or owner(s).

I think the first and second rules apply the most to this case. In all honesty, under these laws, if someone were to be accussed of art theft it would be the original poster.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back