• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2017
    I just sprited my first house ever and I'm iffy on the roof. Something seems to be missing and I don't know what I should do with it and I figured someone might have some pointers to give me. This is mostly to help me get used to the ins and outs of spriting from scratch so I can improve enough to make my own tileset for my fan game. The house was made with the town's theme in mind since the town is pretty much built with all-wood houses since trees are very common in the area.

Attachments

• Spriters Showcase Thread
      house.png
      2.6 KB · Views: 2
    Years
    Decided to dabble into spriting again and surprisingly made a trainer I'm actually proud of, although I think the parts I used are a little too obvious....

Spriters Showcase Thread

Comments and advice on improvements are more then welcome.
    Not as obvious as you would think. They're blended together very well. I actually don't know which parts you've used, though I admit I don't do much splicing. One thing which I think would improve it is to lighten the shirt. On my monitor at least it looks so dark I can barely make it out. It's also looking to the right and not the standard left, but that's just nitpicking.

CRaTeR

Emperor of Aragon
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2015
    Eh, I got bored and made a trainer.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

C+C welcome and wished for.

Years
    Not as obvious as you would think. They're blended together very well. I actually don't know which parts you've used, though I admit I don't do much splicing. One thing which I think would improve it is to lighten the shirt. On my monitor at least it looks so dark I can barely make it out. It's also looking to the right and not the standard left, but that's just nitpicking.

Hmm really? I didn't think the blending that great but ah well. As for the shades on the shirt I can see what you mean, just need to find another palette to use for it.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    What fo you think of these two, theyre my first real scratching attempts. the first is a seed pokemon, the second a turnip kinda plant with spouty flames.

any suggestions?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Final evo of my grass starter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Trokapi

Comments?

EDIT: It's blurry because of photobucket. Sorry. :\

It looks pretty good when referring to the spriting. Though the design seems forced. The leaves and stuff just look like they were forced on a deer, not that they are naturallu on it.

Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

They're my own custom starters. They aren't for any game and for any public use,especially without permission. Please critique on these.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I need a number
    1, 2 or 3
    I'm not sure how to shade the hair...btw these are from scratch :D
    Thanks Chesu
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    My first attempt at making a Fakemon... It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but at least I got to practise some shading. :P

Spriters Showcase Thread

Any hints/tips on the shading, or the eyes? I'm not too happy with those either. :disappoin

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    @Results: I like it quite a lot actually. You've got a nice design, it just needs some polishing.

@Alignment: A mix of one and two would be best in my opinion.

@tomreaper: Upload it on Photo Bucket/other site and it'll be better quality. As it is, I can't rate it.

@Leophard: Pretty good, for a first attemp. With practise you'll get better. For the eyes, use a less dark outline and put a single pixel reflection in the middle.

My turn.
    Here's my first pixel-over:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I'm actually really happy with it, it turned out a lot better than I expected.

And remember people, if you want your sprite rated, rate someone elses!

Last edited:
    Years
    My first attempt at making a Fakemon... It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but at least I got to practise some shading. :P

Spriters Showcase Thread

Any hints/tips on the shading, or the eyes? I'm not too happy with those either. :disappoin
    Eyes usually don't have the same color outline the entire way around. Typically some of them will be darker shades of whatever color the face is. Look at how they are on this sprite:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

You have some dark pink outlines around the eye which don't stand out a lot, but enough to give the eye a shape.

With the inside of the eye you have the white area, but the rest isn't just one color. Actually, it is one color, but it's usually more than one shade of color. If you look closely Mew has a few pixels that are light blue and a few which are dark blue. Peeky is right about the single pixel. That gives the eye a reflective quality which makes the eye look, well, like an eye and not like a flat design on the face.

As for shading, your sprite isn't very detailed. That is, it's round and smooth. Use a round, smooth sprite for reference, like my friend Wobbuffet:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Notice how the change in lighting is round, very round, rather than straight. Even though the light source is supposed to come from the left, with round objects it can look like it's more center/left and still be fine usually. This sprite is also a good reference for a general way of coloring the outline with darker lines toward the bottom/right and lighter ones toward the top/left.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Thanks, Yours Is nice too I like how the red contasts the blue so much make its almost 'glow'

anyway, what did you mean by polishing?

Also my grass starter Line:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Also water sarter Line:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back