• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

starter question: can I rebalance 2 theme decks by combining

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    To start playing with my son, we bought 2 theme decks.
    This is a newbie question for both of us.

Blue Assault: seems to be mostly water type and some electrical
    Red Frenzy: seems to be mostly fire and some fighting type.

He played Blue Assault, and I played Red Frenzy.
    Because Fire types are so vulnerable to Water types, I lost massively.

What do we do?

Is it a good idea to make "new decks" by combining some from each of the 2 decks? That might make it "more fair" but we don't want to wind up with decks where basic pokemon cannot evolve.

Has anyone seen a guide on what to do?
    Do we need to go buy another theme deck?

Years
  • Actually, you can probably improve your decks more effectively by buying booster packs and hoping to pull cards that will boost the presence of each deck's secondary types (since the Water deck's secondary type's only weakness is the Fighting type), though the three decks from the Black and White set aren't very balanced since they center around the three starter Pokemon from the video games.

An alternative is to buy theme decks from the older HeartGold SoulSilver sets, as the theme decks from these sets have more variety in types and you can pick some theme decks that are neutral against each other for types. The upside is that if you ever decide to take your son to a league to play, these can be used there as well as the theme decks for the Black and White set you already have. Most theme decks aren't that great for competitive play, however, because they have a lot of Pokemon and Trainers that are used as fillers, while most competitive decks (even among some of the decks kids make) have no such filler cards.

If I recall correctly, there was probably a piece of paper included with the deck that had a list of recommendations for improvements to make to the deck, but that would require buying booster packs to find the suggested cards.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2011
    just an idea.

the best Idea I could come up with without having to buy other stuff is to trade all of your fighting energy, 2 timburr, 2 minccino and cinccino for all of his lightning energy, 2 blitzle, 2 joltik and Galvantula.

if you do this, you'll have some lighting attackers, which will do x2 the damage to those water types. It kinda sucks that there's only a few of them, but it should even out the playing field a bit more.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    You definitely need more cards. Depending on where you are, I've found 5Below and K-mart for booster and blister packs and I recommend Barnes&Noble for more expensive sets. There's also always good old ToysRus......

I recommend Blister packs more than Boosters because you can see a preview of what you're getting so you at least know two of the cards you're guaranteed to get, but you still get the surprise factor from the packs themselves. This can help you get cards of a specific type. There's a great blister pack out there featuring Plusle and Minun, two lightning types. Maybe start with a few of those.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    You folks are awesome with your suggestions. I am really excited for my son and the game looks really amazing to me (and I'm officially way too old to be interested, but interested anyway)...thanks a lot!!!!!

Years
  • You folks are awesome with your suggestions. I am really excited for my son and the game looks really amazing to me (and I'm officially way too old to be interested, but interested anyway)...thanks a lot!!!!!

No age is too old. The guy who runs the official tournaments and events in my area is probably in his mid-40s, and one of the major traders in my area is about his age as well. It's a much deeper game than people give it credit for. It's easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    I think its great that you play cards with your son! I wish I could get my dad to play cards with me lol.

When I was quite young, I tried teaching my Grandmother to play. Long story short, it didn't go well. I remember her saying "I don't like this. Some of the creatures are cute but they give each other booboos" LOL. But that aside, she was in her 70's. We should have played the Neopets game -____-

Back