• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting deck

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    My son (6) is just starting to get into TCG, and I've not played before (in the UK).
    We have got some themes and are debating what might be a good starting deck.

Mainly have Darkness (Yveltal and Yveltal EX) and the odd Fire/Fighting/Lightning (nothing really of any note).
    He likes the look of Zekrom EX and other Lightning EX.

What is the general stance on mixing up energy types.

What about the number of EXs needed and worth having Stage 1/2 evolutions?

He will probably want to play in tournaments.

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2015
    I would suggest a flareon deck, a easy deck to assemble and is pretty good right now. It also is pretty cheap. I think the most expensive card would be the computer search, at $20.

Years
    Well, it's not recommended to use more than 2 types in a deck, since with more than 2, they tend to bog down significantly and it's more likely you'll have the wrong energy type for the Pokemon you have out.

If he wants to play in tournaments, at his age, there's more likely to be a wide variety of decks, and he'll probably be able to play what he likes.

EXs varies depending on age group, but what matters most at his age group (Juniors, which is players 10 and under) is having fun, so he can have as few or as many EXs as he likes (though EXs are subject to the "no more than 4 cards of the same name limit). If he'd rather have evolved Pokemon (Stage 1 and Stage 2) in his deck, then it's up to him. Metagame type stuff you'll find online is pretty much exclusively about what's in masters.

Also, at his age, you'll have to be more worried about the older players who have more experience and the players who have their parents build them a deck that's Masters-tier quality. Well, that and ensuring the kids play by the rules.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2015
    Well, it's not recommended to use more than 2 types in a deck, since with more than 2, they tend to bog down significantly and it's more likely you'll have the wrong energy type for the Pokemon you have out.

If he wants to play in tournaments, at his age, there's more likely to be a wide variety of decks, and he'll probably be able to play what he likes.

EXs varies depending on age group, but what matters most at his age group (Juniors, which is players 10 and under) is having fun, so he can have as few or as many EXs as he likes (though EXs are subject to the "no more than 4 cards of the same name limit). If he'd rather have evolved Pokemon (Stage 1 and Stage 2) in his deck, then it's up to him. Metagame type stuff you'll find online is pretty much exclusively about what's in masters.

Also, at his age, you'll have to be more worried about the older players who have more experience and the players who have their parents build them a deck that's Masters-tier quality. Well, that and ensuring the kids play by the rules.

Which is why I suggested Flareon. It utilizes colorless energy and pretty much all others if he wants.

Also masters decide what is popular. It is just the way the game is.

Years
    Which is why I suggested Flareon. It utilizes colorless energy and pretty much all others if he wants.

Also masters decide what is popular. It is just the way the game is.

That wasn't a response directed you, it was a response to OP directly, you just happened to post after I started it and I didn't feel like amending it to address what you had posted.

Masters does, but you see significantly fewer decks that are popular in Masters if you play in Juniors. I say let the kids run what they like, but expose them to as many deck concepts as you think they can grasp so they understand the game better.

Back