• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen starting file over. opinions please.

bossman34

Citizen of Kanto
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2018
    i havent touced my ds since christmas time and i want to start over. is it the right choice? because on this file i have a lot of shinys and ev trained pokemon. also, what pokemon should my in game team consist of?

thanks

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Well, personally, if you have a friend with D/P or a Wii with the upcoming Pokemon Ranch channel, I would transfer the Shinies and EV Trained Pokemon onto their D/P or Pokemon Ranch. Then if you wanted to start a new game, go ahead. But if you don't have access to anything that could save the Pokemon that you have, then I am not sure what you should do

As for the Ingame team, most teams can beat the Ingame people, but this question would be better suited for the Stategy and Movesets forum

Aikochan

Sexy Trainer Aiko
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2008
    Because people get bored Yes someone sometimes wants to play a game over again they have beaten. I have done it with more then a few myself. I have been known to restart my blue after i got mewtwo just so i could have an army of mewtwos

LordxDanswich

Lord of the Sammich!
    Years
  • Well, personally, if you have a friend with D/P or a Wii with the upcoming Pokemon Ranch channel, I would transfer the Shinies and EV Trained Pokemon onto their D/P or Pokemon Ranch. Then if you wanted to start a new game, go ahead. But if you don't have access to anything that could save the Pokemon that you have, then I am not sure what you should do

As for the Ingame team, most teams can beat the Ingame people, but this question would be better suited for the Stategy and Movesets forum

Actually he'd have to trade them over to his/her friends D/P first, and then onto pokemon ranch, cause if he transferred the directly from his game into ranch and started over the pokemon would be trapped in pokemon ranch for good, as you can only get the pokemon back onto the game you tranferred them from.

But this is probably the best thing to do if you have shinies and/or ev trained pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2009
    I think you should get your friend to mind them for you and then trade them back in when you start your new game.

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    Yeah, as everyone says: trade your best ones over. But also use the fact your past the league to choose good Pokemon that you can only find after the League to make the game a bit more interesting for you.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Why would you want to start over? I think the D/P ingame sucks.

Well, maybe he likes the DP ingame.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd transfer those puppies to a friend's Diamond/Pearl. Or, get a new one and just keep that file as storage, which is what my Diamond is for.

And if I'm correct, Pokemon Ranch won't trade Pokemon back to you unless it's the same file from where they were transferred.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Why would you want to start over? I think the D/P ingame sucks.

While that it your opinion, others may like it. I happen to be one of those people who enjoyed the In-Game Storyline of D/P, and am looking forward to Platinum's release, sometime next year. (for where I live, that is, it will be 2009)

I've enjoyed the in-game story of pretty much all the games in the series, and while I enjoyed Generation III's, it had a great hole in it that kind of shadowed the game, for me.

And if I'm correct, Pokemon Ranch won't trade Pokemon back to you unless it's the same file from where they were transferred.

Really? Well, that kind of sucks, huh? Kind of breaks your ability to use it as a storage device, so that you can start anew.

As for my opinion, if you want to start a new game, either get the other, or see if you can transfer the Pokemon you want to keep off of your file, so that you don't lose them. Its the worst thing to lose something you spent time on.

Years
  • Start over.

Trade off your good pokes first then start over. I started over, and had my friend breed me a dream team(Snorlax is the only pokemon on my team that is in the Sinnoh dex), and the game was alot more enjoyable.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Well, personally, if you have a friend with D/P or a Wii with the upcoming Pokemon Ranch channel, I would transfer the Shinies and EV Trained Pokemon onto their D/P or Pokemon Ranch.

How pointless is that? If it's on Ranch, and he restarts the game he can't transfer them back, so how would that help, besides increasing rancch level?

Anyway, do what you like! In the end, you'll ignore the results of this thread and decide based on your own opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    if you want to start over i think you should get the other game(if you have pearl get diamond)and transfer the good pokemon and then restart

it's what i do sometimes

This is what I did too. Buy the version you don't have, then trade. Then you only have to borrow a ds (unless like me you have the old school grey brick as well as a lite ;) )

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    i mean, i know loads of people who restart after beating the game, but then they never play pokemon since it is sorta boring since they know what goes on :P
    so i mean if your def gonna play the game again later then restart but its your decision

Back