• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stat Moves...

Years
    Hey, i have always used physical moves only, since i didnt see the point of using stat related moves. Reading into it i see a few people using these kinds of moves. Are there any moves that are great and a must use? Or that you use yourself on one of your Pokemon?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Use special moves too. They can help if your Pokemon have better Special Attack than Attack.

Basically, using stat-raising moves makes your attacks hit harder, like Swords Dance and Nasty Plot. Some Pokemon need set-up moves to fix innate problems, such as Hustle Durant with Hone Claws.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Nowadays using stat raising moves (or moves that do not attack) is mandatory for online competitve battling if you want to come out as the Victor. I am not a real fan of those stat moves but I usually use is Nasty Plot. I usuallu use other non attack moves such as Toxic, Protect, Subsitute etc.

:t354:TG

Years
    Use special moves too. They can help if your Pokemon have better Special Attack than Attack.

Yeah, i know :P i suppose physical attack was the wrong word to use :D
    I dont see the point in wasting a turn of attacking just to raise a stat by a tiny bit. Reading into it, Trick Room looks like a good move to use.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Yeah, i know :P i suppose physical attack was the wrong word to use :D
    I dont see the point in wasting a turn of attacking just to raise a stat by a tiny bit. Reading into it, Trick Room looks like a good move to use.
    One way to get a free turn to set up a stat-raising move is to bring in the user against something it can counter easily, then use that move as the opponent switches out. Of course, you'll also have to be prepared to deal with whoever switches in next.

Dark343

Do not trust The Matrix.
    Years
    For the most part, you don't really need them. Stat moves as mentioned, have predominance in competitive.
    You mentioned Trick Room earlier. It's a useful move, but only if you build a Trick Room-centric team.
    Stat moves though come handy in a pinch as it buffs your own pokemon to a better, possible usable level, such as a Dragon Dancing Gyrados or debuff your opponet so they're weakened, like how pokemon early in the game has Growl or Tail Whip or something... -.-
    Semi-situational, really.

lemonfreak

the golden caterpie
    Years
    yeah, I never really used to use them. I sometimes use them now, but not very often. you'll need to use them for competitive battles though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2020
    Even in-game, they're really useful because lets say you do this:

Send out gyrados, he is just a little better than most of the pokemon on the other team, slower than some, can knock out most with one hit, but needs 2 hits for others.

Use dragon dance first, and now he's faster than the whole team, and strong enough to take them all out in one hit. So he just "sweeps" right through the opposition.

It's pretty much always better to raise your own stats than to lower your opponent's

and nice avater btw

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Stat-raising moves might look measly, but one stage of boost will raise the respective stat by 1.5x, and two stages will double it. 1.5x or 2x boost is no way a "tiny" boost. If a pokemon with 350 attack after swords dance now has 700 attack. That's nothing to laugh at either. Same with other moves that raise a stat twice.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Ohhh, i didnt know that it did that. I thought it just raised the stat by like 2 points :P

No no. Stat raising moves raise the chosen stat by 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 stages, not points.

They're not pointless, far from it. They are pretty mandatory especially if you're a competitive battler. In-game they're not as good as full on offensive moves.

It's a choice really, use them and win with strategy, don't use them and win barely or lose depending.

Back