• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Sword and Shield Ultimate GBA English Version

Days
    • Seen today
    Hi Everyone!

I've been obsessed with the idea of GBA demakes for later games for a little while now. I stumbled across PCL.g and Jean star's Sword and Shield GBA game.

There are a few versions of this game floating around online. The regular version and an ultimate version. The regular version is in both Portuguese and English, while the Ultimate version is only in Portuguese.

While very cool in concept, these games all suffer from compatibility issues. They can only be played on specific emulators with specific settings. I did a deep dive into all of these roms in order to try to gain functionality on real hardware (ie, flashable repro. carts). The non-ultimate versions have a bug which will not allow you to progress past the title screen and will crash. I have had no success in fixing that version.

That left me with the Ultimate version. The Ultimate version worked...kinda. It contained game breaking bugs which caused crashes when you try to view either your bag or your party. This makes it impossible to catch Pokemon, use items, and many other issues which you could conceive.

I have fixed those bugs and now the game is playable on all emulators I have tested (mGBA, VBA-M, and no$gba) and functions on reflashed reproduction cartridges as well as on the Analogue pocket's openFPGA.

The game was still only in Portuguese. As a native English speaker, I wanted to play in my own language. I have faithfully translated the Ultimate version into English.

Here I am sharing a .ups patch which you can patch to a base Fire Red ROM which you may use to play on any medium of your choosing!

I want to again emphasize. I take no credit for the creation of this ROM hack, I merely translated it to English and fixed some bugs to make it compatible with real hardware. I asked PCL.G for permission to distribute this version and he approved my request.

Credit:
    Full credit to PCL.G and Jean stars, and various other members of their team who helped bring this rom to life originally!

Features:

- Full Gym Challenge.
    - Full Sword and Shield Story.
    - Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra post-game.
    - Auto-run by pressing L.
    - Dexnav in the menu.
    - Dynamax by pressing R on a move in battle when Dynamax is possible.
    - Gigantimax
    - Mega evolution
    - Z-moves
    - Ultra beasts

Screenshots:
    1708136230924.png1708136294087.png1708136986103.png1708137646479.png1708137902389.png1708138014942.png1708138046538.png1708139805917.png

Known Bugs:

• In the Wyndon train station, there is an Eevee kid that will freeze the game if you speak to them prior to the piers event.
    • Do not return to Rose Tower after you have beaten it, Piers will block the way and you will be stuck!
    • Do not forget to go to the left of the stow-on-side gym for the mural event. Missing this event will mess up the corviknight flying taxi system.
    • in the mission to get the Z-bracelet, please give the man his Mudsdale back. Holding on to it will cause issues.
    • in the Isle of Armor, the absolute last thing you should do is battle Honey, she gives you the crown pass. She may give it to you if you haven't completed everything else.
    • Some collision issues.
    • Few scenarios where there are blank or repeated text boxes.

Wyndon Gift Codes:

• "3211"
    • "4092"
    • "4284"
    • "4418"
    • "4493"
    • "5377"
    • "5563"
    • "7060"
    • "7268"
    • "7877"
    • "7909"
    • "7950"
    • "8033"
    • "8992"
    • "2023"
    • "oizber"
    • "ufhgdz"
    • "jsvmru"
    • "uhqyek"

UPDATE:

Changelog from version 1.0:

• Untranslated text for if you selected a female character.
    • Names of pokemon with regional forms do not have period in front of them.
    • When you recieve the rotom phone, the description is now in english.
    • If you try to enter the route to magnolias house before you talk to leon at the lab, he will now tell you to go talk to leon instead of to go and get a potion.
    • Portuguese text after loosing to Hop at magnolias house
    • Portuguese text at the desk in the Motostoke Stadium
    • Portuguese text during the initial bike encounter at the bridge.
    • Portuguese text when looking at the "tapestries" for the darkest day story
    • EV / IV checker desription modified, Item sprite changed to a Carbos (seemed fitting)
    • Evolution items descriptions translated to english
    • League card item names and descriptions translated
    • Other various key items descriptions modified
    • Changed the trainer on route 2 to say Squirtle instead of caterpie.
    • Added a note to Sonia's dialogue when she gives you rotom phone to let you know its also a PC.
    • Battle tower now fully translated
    • Mystery gift translated
    • tart and sweet apple now work correctly
    • various translation and grammer corrections.
    • shiny rate dropped from ~1/250 to 1/8192. You should not get any more palette-less shinies.
    • Bag graphics modified to white background
    • Text boxes now have a slight grey border.
    • Karrablast/Shelmet evolution method corrected, evolves via link cable item
    • Umbreon and Espeon can now be obtained via Moon and Sun Stone for those who dont have RTC. Normal time based methods can still be used
    • Rockruff can be evolved via Moon, Dawn, and Dusk stone for Midnight, Midday, and Dusk form Lycanroc for those who don't have RTC. Normal time based methods can still be used.
    • Poliwhirl evolves to Politoed via link cable.
    • Pikachu evolves to Alolan Raichu via water stone.
    • Dusclops evolves via Reaper Cloth like a stone.
    • various grammatical corrections.
    • various remaining Portuguese translated to English.
    • Town map on the walls will now load correctly.
    • Allister league card name corrected
    • Various Trainer named fixed.
    • various typos corrected.
    • untranslated text in crown tundra translated.
    • Shaderoot carrot name translated
    • NPC security guard at Kabu's gym will now direct the player to the hotel to battle Marnie to help prevent players from getting lost.
    • Added Hisuian Typhlosion, Decidueye, and Samurott, evolve from 2nd stage using Link Cable.
    • Added Archeludon, Evolve from Duraludon using Link Cable.
    • Added Dipplin and Hydrapple, evolves from Applin via level up at level 30 and 44 respectively.
    • Split evolution regionals like Exeggcute, Cubone, Koffing, and Mime Jr. evolve into their kanto forms by default. Use a link cable to evolve to Alolan/Galar form, or use an ice stone on Mime Jr. for ice type Mr. Mime.
    • Added new Wild Area water spawns (fishing and surfing) to Wild Area 1 (near Motostoke Station), Wild Area 6 (Ice), Wild Area 8 (Dragon).
    • Translated Portuguese text in the Pokemon League.
    • Various other translations. There should be no remaining untranslated text.
    • Fixed Hydrapple shiny palette.
    • Fixed Koffing unable to evolve into Galar Weezing, Now evolves by default into Kanto Weezing. Use a Link cable to evolve into Galar Weezing.
    • Fixed Jynx abilities.
    • Added water spawns in Galar mine 1, Route 5, Route 6, and more!
    • Nearly all water should have fishing and surfing spawns. Isle of armor doesn't have as many fishing spawns though.
    • Zweilous spawns in the dragon wild area now.
    • Fixed softlock that trapped players in Rose tower.
    • NPC in 3rd gym will direct players more accurately to avoid them getting lost.
    Credit to thedarkdragon11 on pokecommunity for Hisuian sprites, Archeludon, and Dipplin. Credit to DegelAlex on deviantart for the basis of the Hydrapple back sprite, and https://twitter.com/EBaruON on twitter/X for the basis for the Hydrapple Front sprite. I did modify the Hydrapple sprite myself to properly downsize it to 64x64 for use in this rom.

Support:
    I have created a discord server to support this version:

Download:
    Download Version 3.1:
    Attached zip of .ups file. Left file patch to FireRed USA, Europe (Rev1), Right patch to squirrels. Patch using Rom Patcher JS. Patching tutorial available on the discord.
    [/URL]

Attachments

• Pokemon Sword and Shield Ultimate GBA patch v3.1 for Fire Red (USA, Europe) (Rev1).zip
      13.5 MB · Views: 32
    • Pokemon Sword and Shield Ultimate GBA patch v3.1 for Fire Red (U) (Squirrels).zip
      8.3 MB · Views: 29
    Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen today
    Doesn't work for me. Tried two different versions of Fire Red, Squirrels and USA. Both are saying incompatible. Any ideas?
    What patcher are you using? I used squirrels to create the patch. I can upload different versions of the patch as well. Tested with Rom Patcher JS.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen today
    I have uploaded an additional version of the patch, to Fire Red (USA, Europe) (Rev1). Let me know if this works. If not I have one more version I can create the patch to.
    Ok i have two working versions of the patch, the reason you probably got an error is that the last 4 hex values in the rom i created the patch from were changed. The patch still would work, but i have since update the patches.

Days
    • Seen today
    Is the 1.5 update was only on Portuguese version?
    The 1.4 is my own internal versioning, completely separate from the Portuguese version. I had released a 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and now 1.4 on my discord. My version 1.4 is built on top of the game called "espada e escudo v1.5"

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello I am new but can I get which Pokemons can be found on which routes? I am having trouble finding Pokemon for trades.

Days
    • Seen today
    Hello I am new but can I get which Pokemons can be found on which routes? I am having trouble finding Pokemon for trades.
    I'll attach PCL.g and Jeanstars documentation here, but it's in Portuguese. They did a good job of making it very visual, so you should be able to find your answers here. I'd also advise you check either my or their discord server for this info.

Attachments

• MANUAL POKEMON SWORD SHIELD ULTIMATE.pdf
      18.1 MB · Views: 295
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Update:

Download these versions! I have fixed a few bugs and translation issues.

Heres the list of changes::
    - Untranslated text for if you selected a female character.
    - Names of pokemon with regional forms do not have period in front of them.
    - When you recieve the rotom phone, the description is now in english.
    - If you try to enter the route to magnolias house before you talk to leon at the lab, he will now tell you to go talk to leon instead of to go and get a potion.
    - Portuguese text after loosing to Hop at magnolias house
    - Portuguese text at the desk in the Motostoke Stadium
    - Portuguese text during the initial bike encounter at the bridge.
    - Portuguese text when looking at the "tapestries" for the darkest day story
    - EV / IV checker desription modified, Item sprite changed to a Carbos (seemed fitting)
    - Evolution items descriptions translated to english
    - League card item names and descriptions translated
    - Other various key items descriptions modified
    - Quiz in Opals gym should be mostly in english, it may have some portuguese text if you answer wrong.
    - Changed the trainer on route 2 to say Squirtle instead of caterpie.
    - Added a note to Sonias dialogue when she gives you rotom phone to let you know it's also a PC.
    - Battle tower now fully translated
    - Mystery gift translated
    - tart and sweet apple now work correctly
    - various translation and grammer corrections.
    I try to trade but I got this massage I hope we can trade soon
    Hoever I can battle with Pokemon Ubound

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-25-23-01-39-438_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-23-01-39-438_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      208.1 KB · Views: 29
    • Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-46-03-061_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-46-03-061_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      167.7 KB · Views: 25
    • Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-46-03-061_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-46-03-061_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      167.7 KB · Views: 21
    • Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-35-658_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-35-658_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      138.6 KB · Views: 20
    • Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-29-560_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-29-560_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      168.2 KB · Views: 24
    • Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-48-606_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      Screenshot_2024-02-25-22-59-48-606_com.fastemulator.gba.jpg
      173.1 KB · Views: 27
    Days
    • Seen today
    I try to trade but I got this massage I hope we can trade soon
    Hoever I can battle with Pokemon Ubound
    I haven't looked into making trading compatible. I don't know much about that. I can look into it. Cool that you can battle with unbound!

Days
    • Seen today
    This is phenomenal! Thank you for translating this into English. Have you considered translating other completed foreign language hacks?
    I have, I even thought about making an auto patcher, but it wasn't going to be worth the trouble as the translation would probably be poor. If someone wants to help me out with this project, it would probably make many currently untranslated roms playable to many languages!

Personally, I don't see myself manually translating another rom unless I find a passion project. Would be more likely to make my own Demake of sun and moon, or scarlet and violet. something along those lines.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I have actually been keen on wanting to learn how to translate ROM hacks from foreign languages into English. I have been asking around but barely found any information. Would you be down to guide me? Thank you!

Days
    • Seen today
    I have actually been keen on wanting to learn how to translate ROM hacks from foreign languages into English. I have been asking around but barely found any information. Would you be down to guide me? Thank you!
    Yeah. Definitely. Shoot me a pm on discord

Back