• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Swords Dance doesn't do anything, I'll make him learn HYPER BEAM!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I'm big on attacking, not so much on the stats and defence. I don't play competitively, thankfully.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I mostly went offensive in Pokemon Red because it's all I needed, BUT I always made sure to have at least one high-HP Pokemon with Flash or similar and one at lv. 30 or higher with a reasonably-accurate Sleep move when it got to the point where I could access the legendary birds. It was the only combo that ever worked reliably for me at low levels.

Kipher

The author riding the raptor.
    Years
    I use all Offensive moves.
    THe way i see it is, the more time u try lowering his stats, the more time he is lowering your health.

Not neccacarily, the sp.defense and defense contribute alot to the HP of your pokemon in terms of resistince, lets say you lower the rivals sp.defense by 4 points, if you do an attack that equals about 89 without doing those points it stays at 89, lower the by 4 and you can multiply that by .4 that equals up to 124.

At least that's how I factored my attacks back then.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Yeah, I used to neglect stat increase/decrease moves. Now I know better, Swords Dance and Nasty Plot are ridiculously good.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
    In game i really dont carry any move that do not do damage
    potions for healing and status
    X-items for stat increases
    i mean a four slot moveset is precious especially in game you need all the type coverage you can get
    but yeah in competitve play i am a big fan of trappers (scarfzone with hp fire= 1 shot scizor anyone?) and i use late game sweepers like crazy (cursepert and heracross)

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I know "Gary" (who always gets a girl's name in my game) just keeps using Tail Whip with Squirtle in the first battle until I knock it out with Scratch. :P

Against moron in-game trainers, you might as well just beat 'em up.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm offense all the way. I think the stat-increase moves are stupid. XD
    I hate swords dance and LOVE hyper beam.
    XD

I entered a PC Wifi tournament a while ago. After my first win in it (single elimination... I think...), I tried attacking a Choice Scarf Vaporeon and failed horribly (I accidentally used Waterfall on it and it Trick'd the Scarf onto me). Then, after a Baton Passed Mean Look, it began a series of stat-increasing moves (Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Gastro Acid, etc.) all chained together with Baton Pass which culminated in a Lucario sweeping my entire team. I lost 6-0.

The lesson? Never rely purely on attacking moves. Even the elemental Hyper Beams aren't good enough to take out true strategy.

Swinoob

... [I am not a talker].
    Years
    XD When I was little, I was all about the offensive moves.
    Now I try to have at least one defensive move, or at least one that raises attack when used or something.

Same here. [Darn. my post isn't long enough. That should be enough. Darnit.]

Dr. Faustus

I am >9000. I am 31337.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    When I was younger, I always used offensive moves, with the exception of Swords Dance. I always thought SD was cool. XD

Elise

ニャーニャー
    Years
    Haha, for sure when I was younger I didn't even give a second thought to stat boosting/ lowering moves and got rid of them the first chance I get! And... To be honest, in-game I usually still do that. It's hard for me to pass by heavy hitting moves, trying to see how fast I can defeat an opposing player/NPC. I guess I'm just more of an offensive pokemon trainer. :) I like to kick their butts... what can I say?

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I didn't like the low-PP moves though, powerful or not. Bite and Slash were probably my faves, if they were HM's I'd have taught them to everything. :P

Kai Yamato

Lone Soldier
    Years
    Least these moves does something. Unlike super situational moves like Fling and Natural Gift.

I always keep at least one buff move. I prefer the ones that boosts both stats though.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
    When I was a kid, I found stat-increasing moves pointless xD
    I remember the first time I played Pokemon Blue, it said something like "Charmander's attack fell". At the time, I assumed it meant that the opponent's attack had missed ~___~

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2010
    I always understood what stat changing moves did for the most part, but I was still about the offensive moves. I kept sleeping/poisoning/paralyzing moves and moves that sharply modified stats though. Today I usually have one or two of those on each pokemon.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I was so bummed out when I first realized Thunder Wave didn't do damage. It sounds so powerful. ><

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Please don't revive threads that are over a month old...let alone one that's almost four years old. I know 2010 was awesome and all, but still! :P

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back