• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Swords Dance doesn't do anything, I'll make him learn HYPER BEAM!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    Were you one of those persons who put stat-increasing moves on their Pokémon? Or did you just put offensive attacks, thinking that stat-increasing didn't do anything?

I remember thinking that Swords Dance, Agility, Calm Mind, Haze, Focus Energy and those moves didn't do anything; so (in-game) I sold them and bought some other things. But they're really useful in Competitive Battling, Batton Pass + Sword Dance or Calm Mind or something + Suction Cups Pokémon = :D

Oh, but that was a long, long time ago; what about you? Did you make your Pokémon's movepool offensive, defensive or anything goes; or what?

Last edited:

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
    All moves, unless it was something like Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp.
    I always think moves like Tail Whip don't do anything

amberrelf

~♥HalleluYah!(:
    Years
    XD When I was little, I was all about the offensive moves.
    Now I try to have at least one defensive move, or at least one that raises attack when used or something.

AikuSeverin

Dark Trainer
    Years
    all my pokemon have taunt or torment, and my poisons have toxic or toxic spikes, they is goood, i only recently started using them and found out how epic they are, especially gainst koga

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Obviously if I plan on EV training my Pokémon then I pick the moves that they need, but if I'm just going to use them in-game to run around with, I mostly go with offensive moves.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    I rarely use non-attack moves as far as in game play. But in competitive, I love me some SDs and Stealth Rocks.

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Pretty much offensive only...

When I was little this was because I saw no immediate effects of tail whip (a cheating AI vs. a lower health bar? your choice...) Also, I was big into the one-hit KO's because, now don't laugh, I freaked out when the opponent used a stat-changing move; I was sure that my stats were stuck at the low place that the move put them at (even healing could never ever put the stat where it was originally), so that was actually worse in my mind then using a damaging move. It still freaks me out a little today.

So yeah, my moves are generally all offensive (and I don't do competitive battles, so that's not a factor). Now don't get me wrong, defensive moves have their advantages, but I would rather over- level and OHKO than patiently lower my opponent's stats and attack with an equal-level pokemon.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Only recently have I started to use non-offensive moves. When I was younger, I would give my Pokemon moves like Fire Blast and Thunder because they did a lot of damage. Now, I use Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    XD When I was little, I was all about the offensive moves.
    Now I try to have at least one defensive move, or at least one that raises attack when used or something.

Exactly what i did when i was little, attack attack attack is all that i would think about. Now it's balancing your pokemon moves...

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    That's how I used to be too. Now, unless there's a special reason, I always have 2 stat modifying moves in my Pokemon's attack list.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I never use defensive moves unless I am making a Wall Pokemon.
    Like with my Umbreon, It has Wish, Toxic, Protect, and Dark Pulse.

But with Sweepers or anything else, it's strictly hard attacks with a lot of power.
    Like with my Metagross, It has Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, and some other move I cannot remember. ^_^

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Yeah I didn't realise they did anything until I was around 12 and got back into Pokemon. Today I'll keep moves that raise my own Pokemon's stats (ie. Calm Mind, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance etc.) but moves that lower my opponents stats I don't have time to bother with...except maybe Charm. That one works alright. :P

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    ...I was big into the one-hit KO's...
    Oh, that's true, I also remember using Fissure and Sheer Cold a lot. Even though it failed almost every time I used it, I was amazed by their "power" xD

... I love me some SDs and Stealth Rocks...
    I use entry hazards a lot now, I need to have at least one layer of any entry hazard on competitive battles to be happy. xD
    Dual Screens are also helpful.

So guys, did you use OHKO moves back then? And what about entry hazards and dual screens?

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
    I just used offensive as a kid, but now, I will occasionally use some random status move or something that lowers something "sharply". Any attack that lowers/raises something less than sharply is a waste of a turn.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    Lol, story of my life. This was a typical battle between me and Green in the Red version.

Dee's Pokemon used Tackle. 1/5 hp down
    Green used tail whip.
    Dee's Pokemon used Tackle.
    Green used tail whip.
    Green used Tail Whip.
    Me: Heh heh, Green is so stupid.
    Green used Tackle. Dee is out of usable Pokemon. Dee blacked out!
    Me: no fair! gameboy hits the ground.

But now, I know that status changing moves are much more valuable.

Ayselipera

I'm all about offense. I like Pokemon with high attack and speed just so I can get the job done. Although I'll occasionally settle for a status move. The few that I use are...

- Confuse Ray
    - Toxic
    - Leech Seed
    - Will-o-Wisp

... and that's about it. Well that's about the extent! :3

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I hate statting up because in game AI is so dumb i hurt myself.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    When I was younger, I was all about offense...most of my pokemon carries 2-3 STAB attacks and one Normal attack. (when I was a kid, I thought normal was the only physical type and everything else was special. XD)

Nowadays, the pokemon I use both in-game and competitively usually have one STAB attack, one attack for type coverage (or another STAB attack for dual-type pokemon), one status inflicting move (thunder wave, confuse Ray, Toxic, etc.), and one stat-altering move (swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Agility, etc.)

I actually play rather defensively nowadays, abusing status conditions and entry hazards for all they're worth. >:D

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Hm...I remember all the way back in Red version, I'd only use my Charizard the entire game, with Slash being the attack I'd use on mostly everything, seeing as back then, it'd crit 100% on pretty much anything. If I were up against a Rock or Ghost-type, I'd use Flamethrower/Fire Blast...and if I ran out of PP or got bored of those two moves, I'd use Earthquake or Cut...

Really didn't take much more than that back then. xD But yea, now I love buffs. Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Agility, Calm Mind...just thinking about these moves pumps me up lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back