• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tastes of Music

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Well as this year goes on, I been thinking how the music industry is holding up. It seems to me the music isn't as good as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Usher, etc...but it I remember listening to Guy, Toni, Toni, Tone!, Blackstreet, NKOTB, Boyz II Men, Kool Moe Dee, Marvin Gaye, Angela Winbush, etc(the list goes on). It just that the music sounds so different now.

Maybe I am old. My generation as gone and past. I been listening to a lot of old stuff. Not a lot of the new stuff. I don't even listen to Rap anymore. It isn't as good as it was...the only people I like is Jay-Z, Outkast, T.I., Lupe Fiscaso, Kanye West at this point. The rest of them...ugh. So lately I been listening to old music and Japanese music. Like back in the good old days(60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s)
    I have about 153 songs in my iPod Touch and most of them are old songs. Need to get some Lady Gaga though, lol. I will add her soon.

Do you guys feel that your favorite genre has turned into the worst or has it gotten better? Tell me your thoughts.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Jason Derulo, Jay Sean, Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Nickelback, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Simple Plan, Linkin Park, FOB.

Um. I think that's all that I lke - some may only be one song, but still.

But defs the former 3 I like.

I forgot what the question was. :(

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    I prefer music from the 80s. The 70s were when music started to get really good, the 80s were the high point, and in the 90s it went downhill just a bit. The 00s started off OK but kept sliding down until we ended up with the processed, profit-focused crap that 90% of those operating within the so-called 'music industry' churn out on a monthly basis. Although they all say they do, I fear the group of artists who make music solely for music's sake are few and far between.

There's lots of talent going around - amazing voices like Chris Brown, Gaga and Rihanna etc - but everyone is focused on what's popular, so these amazing people feel they have to keep up with that. Rihanna, for example, has undergone a major transformation to keep up with what's 'hot' these days. Does anyone remember Pon de Replay? That was a great song that showcased what that girl could do. Now she's done this whole 'Good Girl Gone Bad' thing, and for what? Because that's what people want. Now we have songs like . . . what's that latest one called? Rude Boy?

(NB: Not picking on Rihanna for any particular reason; she's just an example)

Oh, and what's with that new hairdo? I mean, seriously.

yeah i forgot the question too

.Bullet

My Valentine
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, ACDC, and Metallica (80's) was where it was at.

*sigh*

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    @Nica and Misheard Whisper - I loved Pon de Replay. That made me listen to more of her. And she gotten better over the years. I still like her. It just like artists like 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, Souja Boy...ugh. These guys really jumped the shark (50 Cent really). Some of these artists are now doing music just to get money. It is the record companies that tells them of what is "hot". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I remember they used to do it because they enjoyed it. Only a few are doing it now. When they used to enjoy it, music was awesome. But I don't know now.

To me I used to love Rap, but now it turned for the worst for some artists in that genre. I only will listen to old school rap, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lupe, Outkast, Missy Elliott, Timberland, and T.I. The rest of them can jump over a cliff for all I care. Yeah I am talking to you Lil' Wayne(sorry for the Lil' Wayne fans).

So yeah that is what I meant when I asked is your favorite genre turned out for the worst. If not, has it gotten better.

For me Rap has gotten worse. R&B and Pop(except some artists in that genre, Keisha for example-I don't like her too much) are still alright.

@.Bullet - Wow now those were great rock groups. Too bad there isn't any like them anymore. I am not into rock, but I remember the 80s and 90s were great years for that genre.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    YES LIL WAYNE SUCKS HE IS TERRIBLE. HE SUCKS SO BAD. HE SHOULD GO DISAPPEAR-- I really don't like him.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I agree with you Nica. Totally agree...ugh. I don't like him! He should disappear on the face of the Earth. He can't rap at all! And he isn't pretty! @_@ He is one of the reasons that I stopped listen to Rap for right now. I only listen to the old artists of Rap. Can't stand the new Rap now. x.x

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Well, to be honest, Country hasn't really gotten bad. I will say that the only rapper I think is any good is Eminem.

Other than that, yes I keep finding myself listening to stuff from the 90's and 80's. Now back in those days, I listened to country and didn't really lend an ear to the current music of the time, but when I listen to it now it just makes sense now that I'm older. Most of the music of today has degraded into crap that isn't all that great. Lady Gaga is one of the few artists in the pop genre who has broken that "Modern" mold and brought that 80's/90's sound back.

So yeah, I've found myself listening to several Japanese/International artists as well, Mizuki Nana, Skye Sweetnam, and more. Heck, Anime sound tracks are far better than the crap I hear on the pop stations nowadays. And, just in case I suffer some musical burnout, I've got over 2000 remixes of classic video game musical scores, which cost me absolutely nothing!

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    @Pachy: Yeah that has happened to me. I been listen to a lot of old muisc from back in the day. Like for the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Back then I didn't really take account that was great music back then. All I know it was pretty good. But since now the music of today is bad I really appreciate of the music from back then.

And I been listening Utada Hikaru, Nami Tamaki, Namie Amuro, BoA, Heartsdales, and other Japanese artists. It just that they have better music over there than here right now.

Music is dying in US. Only a few artists that are good are keeping it alive.

Back