• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Advice

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    This is the rough draft of my Pokemon team. It is intended to be played in Gen V (My group of friends still haven't upgraded to Gen VI). Please give me any advice you have.
    Spoiler:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Light Screen is best used in tandem with Reflect and your current Whimsicott set doesn't really accomplish that. Whimsicott is best off annoying the opponent with its wide array of support moves:
    -Encore
    -Taunt
    -Tailwind
    -U-turn/Memento
    Nature: Careful/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/188 SDef/68 Spe or 252 HP/188 Def/68 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster

Why does Gliscor not have Earthquake? That's its strongest move and it has excellent coverage. You need a Stealth Rock user and Gliscor fits the bill nicely. Stealth Rock helps achieve KOs that your other Pokemon wouldn't normally get:
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Fang/U-turn
    -Taunt/Toxic/Stealth Rock
    -Protect/Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 244 HP/248 Def/16 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

Lapras is one of the worst Pokemon you can put in an OU team. This is because of its mediocre offenses and bad defensive typing. OHKO moves are unreliable because they're inaccurate and are blocked by Sturdy (which became popular from Gen V onward because it also acts as a Focus Sash). Starmie should be in its place to provide Rapid Spin support for Dragonite:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam/Toxic
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/32 Def/4 SAtk/224 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

Snorlax isn't as good as it used to be because of the power creep. It's way too slow to set up Belly Drum and even if you somehow get it off by some miracle, your current set is blocked by Ghosts completely. Snorlax has an impressive offensive move pool and you're not taking advantage of it:
    -Return/Body Slam
    -Pursuit/Crunch
    -Fire Punch
    -Superpower/Wild Charge
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/184 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Thick Fat

Blastoise is outclassed as a Water Pokemon by Starmie in terms of Rapid Spin support. The latter is stronger and faster and can pull off a bulky set when needed. Infernape or Heatran can complete a Fire/Water/Grass core with Whimsicott and Starmie:

Heatran:
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
    -Stealth Rock/Taunt/Toxic
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon

or
    -Lava Plume
    -Protect
    -Roar
    -Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef

or
    -Substitute
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Toxic/Will-o-Wisp

Infernape:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Thunder Punch/Mach Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Fire Blast/Overheat
    -Close Combat
    -Thunder Punch
    -U-turn/Mach Punch/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 180 Atk/76 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 36 Atk/220 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

I don't get the point of Dragonite's set at all. A base 130 power Fling means nothing if Dragonite can't benefit from its coverage, when it doesn't, really. Giving it a Dragon STAB and moves that can deal with Steel Pokemon is important for it, as Dragon + Fire/Ground is very solid coverage. If Dragonite is on a rain team, it can use Thunder and Hurricane to great effect, as both become perfectly accurate in said weather, but this isn't a rain team, so steer clear of that. Instead of Dragonite being slow af with Iron Ball being held (it also removes Dragonite's crucial Ground immunity when held), why not compensate for its average Speed with Dragon Dance? Dragonite also works well with Heatran if you opt for it:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Fire Punch
    -Earthquake/Extreme Speed/Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Substitute
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/72 Def/60 SDef/124 Spe
    Ability: Multiscale

The second set is meant to be used mid to late game, when Steel Pokemon are most likely to be weakened.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    I'm a newbie here and this is my first time trying to design a team, so thank you for the constructive criticism. I'm going to start working on a revision, but I still don't understand why rapid spin is so important.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm a newbie here and this is my first time trying to design a team, so thank you for the constructive criticism. I'm going to start working on a revision, but I still don't understand why rapid spin is so important.

People don't use Rapid Spin for its pathetic damage output, but for its ability to clear away entry hazards like Stealth Rock. Dragonite is weak to Stealth Rock (Pokemon that are weak to 2x Rock take 25% HP damage if it switches in while Stealth Rock is active; 4x Rock weak Pokemon take 50% HP damage), so it appreciates Rapid Spin support before it enters battle. That, and Multiscale only works while Dragonite is at full health.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    People don't use Rapid Spin for its pathetic damage output, but for its ability to clear away entry hazards like Stealth Rock. Dragonite is weak to Stealth Rock (Pokemon that are weak to 2x Rock take 25% HP damage if it switches in while Stealth Rock is active; 4x Rock weak Pokemon take 50% HP damage), so it appreciates Rapid Spin support before it enters battle. That, and Multiscale only works while Dragonite is at full health.

Ok thanks. The other thing I noticed is that a couple of the movesets you suggested contain protect. How can I use that effectively?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ok thanks. The other thing I noticed is that a couple of the movesets you suggested contain protect. How can I use that effectively?

Protect is to stall for extra burn/poison damage on the opponent or for extra Leftovers recovery (or Poison Heal recovery in Gliscor's case).

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    Spoiler:

Thank you for all of the advice. I've revised my team now. Tell me what you think:
    Spoiler:

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I have too many power moves and not enough support moves.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thank you for all of the advice. I've revised my team now. Tell me what you think:
    Spoiler:

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I have too many power moves and not enough support moves.
    Gliscor has literally no use for Iron Tail. Earthquake hits Ice Pokemon hard enough already, while Earthquake already covers Rock Pokemon. Ice Fang is preferred so that Gliscor can hit Dragon Pokemon (mainly Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite). U-turn is also an alternate option for scouting purposes.

Thunder only sees use on rain teams. It's inaccurate outside of rain. Thunderbolt is still decently strong and is more reliable.

Blaziken is an Uber, meaning it can't be used in standard teams like this. Infernape is the OU substitute.

Choice Specs is the item that boosts Special Attack. Choice Band is the item that boosts Attack. Snorlax has better Attack than Special Attack, so Specs is useless.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    Gliscor has literally no use for Iron Tail. Earthquake hits Ice Pokemon hard enough already, while Earthquake already covers Rock Pokemon. Ice Fang is preferred so that Gliscor can hit Dragon Pokemon (mainly Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite). U-turn is also an alternate option for scouting purposes.

Thunder only sees use on rain teams. It's inaccurate outside of rain. Thunderbolt is still decently strong and is more reliable.

Blaziken is an Uber, meaning it can't be used in standard teams like this. Infernape is the OU substitute.

Choice Specs is the item that boosts Special Attack. Choice Band is the item that boosts Attack. Snorlax has better Attack than Special Attack, so Specs is useless.

Here is the final reivision
    Spoiler:

Can Blaziken be used in non-competitive play?
    I just have one more noob question. How do I manipulate EVs?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Here is the final reivision
    Spoiler:

Can Blaziken be used in non-competitive play?
    I just have one more noob question. How do I manipulate EVs?
    Read this: https://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

Snorlax really appreciates Return or Body Slam as a Normal STAB. The former is its strongest reliable Normal STAB, while the latter is a bit weaker, but can also paralyze the target. I don't get why you're using Thunderbolt over it.

If you're not playing by tiers, Blaziken is fine. If you intend on using it, though, it appreciates Protect so that it can stall for the first Speed boost:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Protect
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Ability: Speed Boost

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019

Snorlax really appreciates Return or Body Slam as a Normal STAB. The former is its strongest reliable Normal STAB, while the latter is a bit weaker, but can also paralyze the target. I don't get why you're using Thunderbolt over it.

If you're not playing by tiers, Blaziken is fine. If you intend on using it, though, it appreciates Protect so that it can stall for the first Speed boost:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Protect

Alright. Do EVs and Nature actually make a noticeable difference?

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019
    Thank you so much for all the great feedback you've given me. I think once I take in the final suggestions you've given me I'll be set. I don't think I'll worry about EVs too much. This is only to play against my friends, so EVs just kinda seem like a pain.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2019

-Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Protect

Sorry to bump, but is there any possible way to get a Blaziken with Speed Boost?

Back