• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I dont generally play on Smogon. I play in the battle spots in game

As an FYI, Smogon is working on analyses for the Battle Spot format, using the usage stats of the Global Link as references.

Anyway, Garchomp is one of the best Pokemon in Battle Spot because of its good bulk, Speed, and move pool. It can also run plenty of items viably, meaning that item clause isn't a problem for it.

Look at this Garchomp analysis for instance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Alright, I'm making a Hoopa-U team, and I don't have any decent ideas as partners. I think this team is... Bad, it's really, really glassy and even if I can call it "HO" it's not like that at all. I still can't choose anybody for the last slot, open for tips and suggestions.

Spoiler:
    To be honest, you don't need Psyshock on physically-based Hoopa Unbound, as your other moves will hit on the physical end anyway. The only move that it has that can hit the target's Special Defense is Focus Blast. Here's a better take on mixed Hoopa Unbound:
    -Psychic
    -Hyperspace Fury
    -Gunk Shot
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 136 Atk/196 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

It's true that you lose out on Knock Off's utility, but Hyperspace Fury hits Mega Pokemon a lot harder. The Speed EVs let you outspeed Jolly Breloom and Bisharp, while the Special Attack EVs let you 2HKO Ferrothorn with Focus Blast after Spikes.

Given how physically frail Hoopa is in general, it needs to be brought into battle safely via a slow U-turn/Volt Switch. Wash Rotom, Scizor, and Therian Landorus can do this:

Wash Rotom:
    -Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Pain Split/Rest
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Therian Landorus:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Knock Off
    -U-turn
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/8 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Knock Off
    -U-turn/Explosion
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/184 Spe
    Item: Soft Sand/Earth Plate/Focus Sash

Scizor:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Technician

Hoopa isn't fast, either, so speed control from something like Thundurus helps loads:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Grass Knot
    -Focus Blast/Grass Knot
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Abiilty: Prankster

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Alright, I'm making a Hoopa-U team, and I don't have any decent ideas as partners. I think this team is... Bad, it's really, really glassy and even if I can call it "HO" it's not like that at all. I still can't choose anybody for the last slot, open for tips and suggestions.

Spoiler:

could you give a little more commentary on why you surrounded hoopa with the support you did/anything else relevant to the team building process?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    Unique Sticky Web Team

Hi,

I recently thought about how when using a team with sticky web in it, you don't really need the fastest sweeper there is to out speed your opponent anymore. Instead you could get a Pokemon such as Mamoswine with lots of power, but not the best great. Using Mamoswine as an example, you could put an adamant nature on it, and give it 252 EV's in its Attack and Speed stats. It would out speed any Pokemon effected by stick web, besides a Speed boost Blaziken or Sharpedo.

I would only use 2 to 3 of these unusually trained Pokemon, then have my sticky web setter, Shuckle or Galvantula, and 1-2 sweepers. I have been trying to think of a good team using this technique, but I'm still learning how to put battle more and more competitively. Could i possibly get some help on this? Thanks!​

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi,

I recently thought about how when using a team with sticky web in it, you don't really need the fastest sweeper there is to out speed your opponent anymore. Instead you could get a Pokemon such as Mamoswine with lots of power, but not the best great. Using Mamoswine as an example, you could put an adamant nature on it, and give it 252 EV's in its Attack and Speed stats. It would out speed any Pokemon effected by stick web, besides a Speed boost Blaziken or Sharpedo.

I would only use 2 to 3 of these unusually trained Pokemon, then have my sticky web setter, Shuckle or Galvantula, and 1-2 sweepers. I have been trying to think of a good team using this technique, but I'm still learning how to put battle more and more competitively. Could i possibly get some help on this? Thanks!​
    Bisharp pairs well with either Galvantula or Shuckle because not only does it benefit from the Sticky Web they lay down, but it also discourages Defog users from clearing away that hazard, lest they give it +2 Attack thanks to Defiant (Defog lowers evasion in addition to clearing away entry hazards, while Defiant sharply increases the user's Attack when any of its stats get lowered).

Sets for each (use one of Galvantula or Shuckle):

Shuckle:
    -Sticky Web
    -Stealth Rock
    -Encore
    -Infestation/Toxic/Knock Off
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Mental Herb
    Ability: Sturdy

Galvantula:
    -Sticky Web
    -Bug Buzz
    -Thunder
    -Volt Switch/Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Compound Eyes

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Iron Head
    -Swords Dance/Pursuit
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 Atk/52 SDef/204 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum BerryBlack Glasses/Dread Plate
    Ability: Defiant

or
    -Sucker Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Iron Head
    -Pursuit
    EVs: 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

Even with Sticky Web, things like Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric still outspeed Adamant Mamoswine. Mamoswine is still better with a Jolly/Naive nature to outspeed them under Sticky Web:
    -Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Freeze-Dry
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 244 Atk/12 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Thick Fat

Mega Gallade, Mega Gardevoir, or Mega Medicham also pair well with Bisharp, as they have good offensive power. The latter two especially benefit from Sticky Web. Mega Heracross also has mediocre Speed, but crazy-strong Attack:

Gallade:
    -Swords Dance
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Close Combat/Drain Punch
    -Knock Off/Shadow Sneak/Ice Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Galladite

Gardevoir:
    -Psyshock
    -Hyper Voice
    -Focus Blast
    -Calm Mind/Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace

Medicham:
    -High Jump Kick
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Ice Punch
    -Fake Out
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Medichamite
    Ability: Pure Power

Heracross:
    -Pin Missile/Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Rock Blast
    -Substitute/Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Heracronite
    Ability: Guts/Moxie

A Ghost Pokemon like Gengar can also be used to block Rapid Spin:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Destiny Bond/Icy Wind
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

or
    -Hex
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Substitute/Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

Hoopa Unbound is also an option:
    -Psychic
    -Hyperspace Fury
    -Gunk Shot
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 136 Atk/196 SAtk/176 Spe

Talnov

Sir Talnov, of house Fluffy Cat
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2017
    hello! i have a team-in-progress, and im needing a bit of help completing it. currently it consists of:

Lucario @ lucarionite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 atk / 252 speed / 4 def
    Nature: jolly
    - Close Combat
    - Ice Punch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bulk up

Chesnaut @ rocky helmet
    Ability: Overgrow
    Evs: 252 HP / 252 def / 4 spec def
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Roar
    - Drain Punch

i would like to have a charizard in my team if it would fit, but i dont know what moves i should pick since i have my lucario as my mega.
    i want a cleric for my team which i am currently debating using either en eviolite eevee with wish, baton pass, heal bell, and a 4th undecided attack, or a vaporeon with wish, baton pass, heal bell, and haze. i currently have the vaporeon already bred, but when i test out the team in battle maison the vaporeon takes a lot of damage and is only good for one switch out heal, if it even makes it to use the baton pass without dying. thats why i was going to use an eviolite eevee since it will get bonus defense and spec def. i suppose a chansey could also fill this role. other than those pokemon im not sure what to use to complement each other.

anyone have any advice?

EDIT: i am planning on replacing the overgrow chesnaut with a bulletproof chesnaut.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • hello! i have a team-in-progress, and im needing a bit of help completing it. currently it consists of:

Lucario @ lucarionite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 atk / 252 speed / 4 def
    Nature: jolly
    - Close Combat
    - Ice Punch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bulk up

Chesnaut @ rocky helmet
    Ability: Overgrow
    Evs: 252 HP / 252 def / 4 spec def
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Roar
    - Drain Punch

i would like to have a charizard in my team if it would fit, but i dont know what moves i should pick since i have my lucario as my mega.
    i want a cleric for my team which i am currently debating using either en eviolite eevee with wish, baton pass, heal bell, and a 4th undecided attack, or a vaporeon with wish, baton pass, heal bell, and haze. i currently have the vaporeon already bred, but when i test out the team in battle maison the vaporeon takes a lot of damage and is only good for one switch out heal, if it even makes it to use the baton pass without dying. thats why i was going to use an eviolite eevee since it will get bonus defense and spec def. i suppose a chansey could also fill this role. other than those pokemon im not sure what to use to complement each other.

anyone have any advice?

EDIT: i am planning on replacing the overgrow chesnaut with a bulletproof chesnaut.

Make Charizard the Mega of the team. Its regular form isn't worth using because of its inferior power compared to its Mega forms:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Dragon Tail
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/24 Atk/188 SDef/56 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Tailwind
    -Flare Blitz
    -Outrage
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

Why would you even use Eviolite Eevee as a Wish-passer when Sylveon can pass off larger Wishes thanks to its better HP? Mono-Fairy is also a better defensive typing than mono-Normal, as it actually has resistances, as opposed to Normal's sole immunity to Ghost. While it's true that Eviolite Eevee can take physical hits better than Sylveon can, Sylveon has passive recovery in Leftovers and way more offensive presence with a good 110 Special Attack and Pixilated Hyper Voices:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2015
    OU team help

Hey guys, wondering if someone could take a look at my team/potential team members listed below. I have more than 6 pokemon but I want opinions on which six would work best together for single battles. Thanks:

Greninja (Protean)
    Waterfall
    U turn
    Icebeam
    Grassknot

Charizard (mega Y)
    Flamethrower
    Solar beam
    Airslash
    Earthquake

Aegislash (leftovers)
    Kings shield
    Swords dance
    Shadow sneak
    Sacred sword

Togekiss (leftovers)
    Thunderwave
    Airslash
    Flamethrower
    Roost

Gengar (mega)
    Perish song
    Protect
    Disable
    Sludge bomb

Kengaskhan (mega)
    Power up punch
    Earthquake
    Fake out
    Sucker punch

Gliscor (poison heal/toxic orb)
    Protect
    Toxic
    Earthquake
    U turn

Dragonite
    Dragon dance
    Roost
    Thunder wave
    Thunder punch

Tyranitar
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Icefang
    Stone edge

Azumarill
    Bellydrum
    Aqua jet
    Ice beam
    (Coverage move)

Thanks guys!

Years
  • So I want(have to,no choice) to build a team around mega gardevoir and hippowdon.
    I want the team to be a balanced one but don't know why all my teams tend to be ho.
    Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock.
    - Focus Blast
    Just the every-day set of mega garde which is pretty useful anyways.It is a beast and can hammer down almost half of the meta easily,The first three moves,I think should be on any garde team.Though i am unsure bet shadow ball,fb,tbolt.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock/leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind
    - Slack Off
    Another pretty basic starter set.This is my rocker,my talon and some of the other bs check.Also eq so that it wont be a setup bait.Blah blah blah.

Now what i am thinking is this-
    Though gardevoir-m is great,I think it lacks in defense and so in speed(atleast for me!).
    So I have been thinking if adding a sticky webber will be good or not!
    For that I think galvantula will be good.
    Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Sticky Web
    - Poison Jab
    - Volt Switch

So after that umm I cant get something good,though i have ideas like sand rush exca(thats the reason why hippo has smooth rock)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I want(have to,no choice) to build a team around mega gardevoir and hippowdon.
    I want the team to be a balanced one but don't know why all my teams tend to be ho.
    Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock.
    - Focus Blast
    Just the every-day set of mega garde which is pretty useful anyways.It is a beast and can hammer down almost half of the meta easily,The first three moves,I think should be on any garde team.Though i am unsure bet shadow ball,fb,tbolt.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock/leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind
    - Slack Off
    Another pretty basic starter set.This is my rocker,my talon and some of the other bs check.Also eq so that it wont be a setup bait.Blah blah blah.

Now what i am thinking is this-
    Though gardevoir-m is great,I think it lacks in defense and so in speed(atleast for me!).
    So I have been thinking if adding a sticky webber will be good or not!
    For that I think galvantula will be good.
    Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Sticky Web
    - Poison Jab
    - Volt Switch

So after that umm I cant get something good,though i have ideas like sand rush exca(thats the reason why hippo has smooth rock)
    24 Defense EVs allow Gardevoir to avoid the 2HKO from Latios' Psyshock. These can be taken out of Special Attack: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe. The pre-Mega ability should be Trace to let Gardevoir steal potentially useful abilities on the switch (like Flash Fire from Heatran) before it Mega Evolves. Just stick with Psyshock/Hyper Voice/Focus Blast. Thunderbolt doesn't let Gardevoir do anything noteworthy, as Pixilate Hyper Voice blows through pretty much anything that doesn't resist it.

Pure physically defensive Hippowdon has its uses, but a mixed spread is better: 252 HP/144 Def/112 SDef specifically allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Hidden Power Ice from Thundurus and Mega Manectric, while giving it a cushion against other special attacks in general.

Hippowdon's Sand Stream renders Focus Sash moot on Galvantula. Just saying. And what's the point of Poison Jab in the first place when Thunder hits Fairies hard, while Bug Buzz hits Grass Pokemon?. Here's a better take. While Giga Drain seems redundant with Thunder, it lets Galvantula hit Ground Pokemon harder:
    -Sticky Web
    -Bug Buzz
    -Thunder
    -Giga Drain
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Bisharp works well with Mega Gardevoir in general, by getting rid of bulky Ghosts/Psychics, as well as having Defiant to discourage Defog from clearing Sticky Web and Stealth Rock:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Swords Dance/Pursuit
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 Atk/52 SDef/204 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Black Glasses/Dread Plate

or
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit
    EVs: 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

srinator

dont use sticky web unless u want to get hammered by bisharp and or serp

Years
  • Kk scrapping the idea of having sticky web and galvantula.
    So now i am left with 3 mons
    the third being thundurus.Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Prankster
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Focus Blast
    My answer to almost all dragon dancer and water types and mons like loppuny-m, mega zam.
    Cause after they get paralyzed they are almost good to nothing. also hp ice hits chomp very hard up his ass.
    Also will try using bisharp.

Years
  • Cinccino in OU, help me build a team

Hi everyone!
    I would like to build a new OU team, but with a twist... I want to use Cinccino! I`ve found a moveset I like, and I want to build a team around it:

Team-Building Workshop

Cinccino @ King's Rock
    Ability: Skill Link
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Lonely Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Bullet Seed
    - Rock Blast
    - Tail Slap

The idea is to use the skill link ability to get the maximum number off hits of with the attacks in combination with King`s Rock to get an absurd 40% chance to flinch (I think) every time I attack. I`m hoping this set can work as a reliable switch in when in need to get off some good damage. The deal is that I dont know where to go from here. I recon I need something to counter fighting types, thus maybe Mega Gardevoir could be a good pokemon?
    Any suggestions are appreciated :D

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen yesterday

I think you should forgo King's Rock for something a lot better, like Life Orb or Choice Band. It's speed tier is really decent, but you're really wasting away at it's offensive potential if you're just going to use it to annoy opponents (and not to mention, you'll make enemies faster than you can say Mississippi). Either way, it seems as though you're trying to use Cinccino as a breaker, which only works if you're playing lower tiers. It has pitiful defenses and no defensive typing, so you can't switch it in reliably against most strong breakers in the tier. I think Cinccino works better if you use it as a hit-and-run 'mon, or a lategame cleaner. With that said, you should consider a slow U-Turn user to help bring Cinccino out easier. Notable examples would be: Defensive Landorus and Bulky (Mega) Scizor.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2017
    Competitive Pokemon

Hello Community,
    I'm quite new to competitive battling in Pokemon so I thought I should give it a shot.
    However, being new to this,I wanted to know if this is a suitable team for battling (all have 255 happiness)

Excadrill
    Moves: Dig, Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, Earthquake
    Ability: Sandrush

Poliwrath
    Moves: Rain Dance, Hidden Power(Ground), Brick Break, Ice Punch
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Item: Focus Sash

Forretress
    Moves: Toxic Spikes, Rock Slide, Drill Run, Giga Drain
    Ability: Overcoat
    Item: Sitrus Berry

Salamence
    Moves: Fire Fang, Fly, Dragon Rush, Steel Wing
    Ability: Intimidate
    Item: Salamencite

Mawile
    Moves: Play Rough, Ancient Power, Grass Knot, Crunch
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Item: Mawilite

Gengar
    Moves: Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, Drain Punch, Poison Jab
    Ability: Levitate
    Item:Mental Herb

Please take time to analyse and please give feedback

Thanks in Advance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • First off, are you playing by Smogon rules, or are you playing Battle Spot?

Dig is a bad move in competitive play because not only does it give the opponent a free turn to switch into something resistant/immune to take the attack, it also makes the user more vulnerable to Earthquake (Earthquake hits for 2x damage on Dig users) during the charge-up turn. And speaking of Earthquake, not only is it stronger than Dig, it doesn't need a charge-up turn. Excadrill is currently walled by Flying Pokemon with its current set. Here are better ways to use it, but the first set must be paired with Tyranitar or Hippowdon, due to the fact that their Sand Stream ability automatically summons sandstorm when they're brought into battle. Also, Excadrill can learn Rapid Spin, a move that clears away entry hazards like Stealth Rock:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon
    Ability: Sand Rush

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Toxic/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
    Ability: Mold Breaker

Poliwrath, Salamence, and Forretress arent that good, really, though Poliwrath does have a small niche as a Circle Throw phazer to force out setup attackers. Mega Salamence is banned to Ubers, simply because of Aerilated attacks being too much for OU to handle. Mega Mawile is also an Uber because Huge Power-boosted attacks are very strong. Forretress is bad because of its very passive nature.

A better Poliwrath set is this:
    -Scald
    -Circle Throw
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Water Absorb

However, the better alternative here is Azumarill if you want more raw power:
    -Waterfall
    -Play Rough
    -Aqua Jet
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe (Choice Band) or 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef (Assault Vest)
    Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest
    Ability: Huge Power

As I said earlier, you'll have to use Tyranitar or Hippowdon if you opt for the first Excadrill set I posted:

Tyranitar:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch/Fire Blast/Ice Beam
    -Pursuit
    Nature: Impish/Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/80 Def/180 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Smooth Rock

or
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch/Ice Punch
    -Pursuit
    -Superpower
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Jolly) or 100 HP/252 Atk/156 Spe (Adamant)
    Item: Choice Scarf (Jolly)/Choice Band (Adamant)

Hippowdon:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Toxic/Whirlwind
    -Slack Off
    EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/112 SDef

Mega Altaria is the OU alternative over Salamence, whose regular form is terrible right now because of the abundance of Fairies, and the fact that other Dragons can do its (Salamence's) role better:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Roost
    Item: Altarianite

or
    -Hyper Voice
    -Fire Blast
    -Heal Bell/Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 248 HP/192 SAtk/68 Spe

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Return
    -Earthquake/Heal Bell/Substitute
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/96 SDef/28 Spe

or
    -Return/Hyper Voice
    -Earthquake/Flamethrower/Perish Song/Roar
    -Heal Bell
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish/Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/104 Def/156 SDef

Instead of Mawile, why not use something like Thundurus to provide some Speed control and the ability to hit bulky Water Pokemon?:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast/Grass Knot
    -Thunder Wave
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast/Thunder Wave
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Don't even think about using Dark Pulse on Gengar. It has redundant coverage with its Ghost STAB. The rule of thumb here is if a Pokemon can learn Dark and Ghost moves, it's better to go with the type that has STAB. Why are you even using physical attacks on Gengar too, when its Attack is downright horrible? Gengar has a stronger, special counterpart to Poison Jab in Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave, while Focus Blast is stronger than Drain Punch:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Destiny Bond/Icy Wind

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    Please help me design a team with the following Pokes!

Okay, short version is I'm burned out with catching, trading and breeding, though I'll do the latter if need be. The following are my monsters that don't completely suck, but no matter what I do I just can't seem to make a winning team. I've been focusing mostly on doubles since that's what all the cool kids seem to be into, though I'm curious why triples haven't seen more use in competition. Anyway I'd like to be proficient in at least one form of rated battle so please help with my party. What I'm really looking for is recommended EV spreads, natures and movepools, even for just one Pokemon if you're as busy as I am. Thanks and I can't wait to try them out!

Pinsir
    Bagon
    Metagross
    Suicune
    Aerodactyl
    Arcanine
    Manectric
    Kabutops
    Camerupt
    Haxorus
    Feraligatr
    Alakazam
    Sceptile
    Gallade
    Archeops
    Latios
    Entei
    Raichu
    Monferno
    Absol
    Heatran
    Raikou
    Beedrill
    Sharpedo
    Skarmory

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    Um seriously Bagon? Or Monferno? If you are talking about OU tier here forget them.

Anyway, I am going to try to make a good competitive team for you. However, it's only for singles because I don't play doubles ^^

I just made this team in the simulator but I don't know if you do have access to the moves and items. But here it is :

Metagross @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Mash
    - Bullet Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Earthquake
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Recover

Your team doesn't have a glaring weakness to hazards so I didn't put Defog here but Earthquake instead so as you can lure Heatran and KO him. If you see that you need Defog, replace EQ.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Suicune is just another Pokemon in here, it's water and it's bulky. You can put him in late game and sweep with CM. He is good.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Earth Power

Heatran is for Talonflame and he also sets up rocks. EarthPower for opposing Heatran. Also he kills Scizor, Jirachi.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Extrasensory

Raikou is for Skarmory and generally he is useful as a pivot with Volt Switch and he is strong. Extrasensory is there for Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Absol (M) @ Absolite
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Sucker Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Play Rough

Absol is your mega Pokemon. It's Magic Bounce ability means that most Pokemon will just attack it so Sucker Punch is the first option for priority. Knock Off is your main attack and it cripples opponents. Play Rough is for other Dark types and fighters that resist it's other attacks.

That's all for now. It's just a team I made at the moment. I could use some other Pokemon to make it better but you don't have them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    Thanks, those are awesome and I'll try them all! I definitely would have evolved up to Salamence or Infernape if requested

OliDSi

Pokemon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    How to make a good single-type team?

Ok, I've never done one before and I would like to try.
    So let's say I want to make a Fire team. How do I make each Pokemon play differently and how do I cover weaknesses?
    What can be the strategy of a single-type team?
    Also which are the best types for making a monotype team?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back