• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Fortress 2

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • With the exception of heavy, your claim that a pyro should lose close range is well... completely absurd and wrong in every possible way to be wrong. The pyro is supposed to be the best class at close range which is why the pyro has nothing that's very effective over long range (the flaregun doesn't count because even though it's useful it's not powerful at all), and getting close enough to any enemy with a mid to long range weapon as a primary (essentially EVERY class except pyro) isn't as easy as you'd like to believe. If a pyro is able to get you in his range then you should die, and if you're getting killed by pyros that are charging headfirst into you in plain sight, you're just bad.

I disagree and find the way your phrased that in poor taste. All it takes is a corner camp to get a kill with almost no skill involved the way you imagine it. And quite frankly, the Pyro has always been inferior to the Soldier at close range (Try puffing a rocket at flamethrower range, it will not work well.) Just because The Pyro is an offensive close range class doesn't mean it should be the best vs defensive classes at close range.

With me, Pyros have always been a, keep your guard up and they're screwed, but if you let them have one bit of luck, you're screwed kind of deal.

This impacts the game experience if anything for me, as I don't find luck of surprise a very satisfying way to kill or be killed.
    ^
    Fyi, this applies to the sniper too, and why I have a love hate relationship with that class.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • I disagree and find the way your phrased that in poor taste. All it takes is a corner camp to get a kill with almost no skill involved the way you imagine it. And quite frankly, the Pyro has always been inferior to the Soldier at close range (Try puffing a rocket at flamethrower range, it will not work well.) Just because The Pyro is an offensive close range class doesn't mean it should be the best vs defensive classes at close range.

With me, Pyros have always been a, keep your guard up and they're screwed, but if you let them have one bit of luck, you're screwed kind of deal.

This impacts the game experience if anything for me, as I don't find luck of surprise a very satisfying way to kill or be killed.
    ^
    Fyi, this applies to the sniper too, and why I have a love hate relationship with that class.
    Like most people that complain about the pyro, you really don't know how the class works. It does take some skill and quick thinking to set up an effective ambush on the fly. It also requires you being able to predict your opponent's actions. If you can't set up an effective ambush or find a way to get close to your target without being noticed, you get ripped to shreds most of the time, and with the pyro's average running speed and no extra mobility options (like how scout has double jump and soldier has rocket jump) closing the gap on most classes isn't always easy. The skill lies more in actually getting your target within the pyro's burning range. And your "corner camping" argument is invalid because you can pretty much do the same thing with any class, especially with the demo and his stickies. If you want to complain about a "luck" based class, look at spy. But please, humor me, if the pyro can't be effective at the range he's SUPPOSED to be effective in, then tell me how the pyro SHOULD be effective. And don't say be a supportive class, Valve already tried that, and they failed.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • I have some 300 hours logged into this game, possibly the best online multiplayer game I've ever played. O.O

Anyone feel like the soldier becomes so much easier if you switch to the regular rocket launcher after using the Direct Hit for a while? It takes no effort to kill with it at all.

Dawn

Years
  • Like most people that complain about the pyro, you really don't know how the class works. It does take some skill and quick thinking to set up an effective ambush on the fly. It also requires you being able to predict your opponent's actions. If you can't set up an effective ambush or find a way to get close to your target without being noticed, you get ripped to shreds most of the time

Excuse me excuse me hold on.

You just said camping takes skill, and admitted that you have difficulty doing it, less you have the gall to speak for someone else when you said most of the time you get ripped apart.

Kinda seems like evidence against yourself, on the contrary. Either I'm a genius or you're the one that doesn't know how the class works.

Because I can do it very easily.

Also, The Spy? The Spy is based on trickery, not luck. There's a big difference between rolling dice (luck) and poker (Not that simple). Somehow I imagine you're not a very good spy, either.

Your argument is weak. Official TF2 maps are fairly linear. There is one or two bottlenecked ways to get to where you need to go, three at MAX. It's not hard at ALL to find a small place to camp where people are BOUND to come through continuously through the match.

Do you play a lot of Mario Kart? =/ Perhaps achievement servers? Because those are not valid maps to base skill on, obviously, since they're so different from official maps.

And Demoman are a defensive classes. They are meant for camping. Bad comparison.

The Pyro is an offensive class. So why does it function best camping, or "ambushing" as you so call it?

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • Excuse me excuse me hold on.

You just said camping takes skill, and admitted that you have difficulty doing it, less you have the gall to speak for someone else when you said most of the time you get ripped apart.

Kinda seems like evidence against yourself, on the contrary. Either I'm a genius or you're the one that doesn't know how the class works.

Because I can do it very easily.

Also, The Spy? The Spy is based on trickery, not luck. There's a big difference between rolling dice (luck) and poker (Not that simple). Somehow I imagine you're not a very good spy, either.

Your argument is weak. Official TF2 maps are fairly linear. There is one or two bottlenecked ways to get to where you need to go, three at MAX. It's not hard at ALL to find a small place to camp where people are BOUND to come through continuously through the match.

Do you play a lot of Mario Kart? =/ Perhaps achievement servers? Because those are not valid maps to base skill on, obviously, since they're so different from official maps.

And Demoman are a defensive classes. They are meant for camping. Bad comparison.

The Pyro is an offensive class. So why does it function best camping, or "ambushing" as you so call it?
    Did I say anything about camping? No, when I play pyro, I never camp, I'm always moving around looking for a target. Camping is boring, and really is not productive at all. You're the only one complaining about camping, which ANY class can do just as easily as the pyro (except for scout, but if you're camping as a scout then why are you playing as him at all?) so I don't know why you're only complaining about him. Your entire argument is based around camping which is not part of playing pyro at all and any half decent player would know that, so please stop assuming that is what I'm doing and actually pay attention to what I'm saying. And if you REALLY knew how to play demoman, you'd know that there are much better ways to play him than camping behind a door and spamming stickies all over it.

Last edited:

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Camping with Pyro is fun... until the heavy turns around.

Not even Pyro can outsmart boolet.

Dawn

Years
  • Did I say anything about camping? No

Yes, you did.

It does take some skill and quick thinking to set up an effective ambush on the fly

Definition of ambush: To wait in hiding to attack.

Google (Define:Ambush) said:
    1. wait in hiding to attack
    2. the act of concealing yourself and lying in wait to attack by surprise
    Google (Define:Camping) said:
    In video gaming, camping is a tactic of waiting for enemies or useful objects to appear or to come to the player rather than actively seeking them out. Players camp in order to gain an advantage over their opponents.

Ambushing is automatically camping by definition in video games. In fact, it's a euphemism the way you're using it. Some people consider using a euphemism lying, you know.

Google (define:euphemism) said:
    an inoffensive or indirect expression that is substituted for one that is considered offensive or too harsh

I'm... honestly finding a lack of a point to your post. Perhaps you should ask someone to help you out?

---

I sneak up on people as the Heavy for lulz.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • 1. Circle the Heavy
    2. ???
    3. Profit!

That works if the Heavy doesn't know how to follow the Pyro around his circle with the minigun. The best way for a Pyro to take out a Heavy is to surprise him with the Backburner IMO.

Kalsard

Looking for time travellers.
    Years
  • Yes, but backburner is a weird item. Compression blast is EXTREMELY useful in lots of situations. Saving medics ( Yes I know this is support), or bumping people over the edge to let them die. :P
    Fire Axe'ing heavy might be good, which I have done lots of times. Well, until a Pyro extinguished the heavy just before I axed him. =(
    Heavy turned around, and dead me.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • I agree that the airblast flamethrower is a lot more useful. Especially now that it minicrits when it reflects projectiles. And it's just stupid on maps that have bottomless pits, Pyros can just airblast people off of cliffs.

Kalsard

Years
  • Well, it's not that easy to compress somebody over a cliff, is it? Granted, if you surprise them it's quite easy, but then again if you just attacked them from surprise you'll normally get the kill anyway, the fall over the edge is just more amusing. ^^ Running up to them is the hardest part I think. This point may be debatable though.

Jarate

The Jar Based Karate
    Years
  • I agree that the airblast flamethrower is a lot more useful. Especially now that it minicrits when it reflects projectiles. And it's just stupid on maps that have bottomless pits, Pyros can just airblast people off of cliffs.

This.

Vanilla Flamethrower on Steel is crazy at the main point, just push off people who are trying to cap, and reflect whatever the Soldiers and Demos toss at you from across the Gap.

As for Heavy? Flamethrower + Quick Switch to Axetinguisher works quite nicely. Better than the Backburner. This is starting to make me miss my Axetinguisher CURSE YOU SCOTSMANS SKULL CUTTER ;_;

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Meh, I'm not really good at playing a Pyro... I prefer playing classes which can just kill characters instead of having to hit-and-run, and then hope you happen to get a few kills.
    No, a good class for me is definitely the Spy. I've got over 40 hours of playtime on that class now, and I'm already notorious on the saigns.de servers for my spawncamping! Then again, it's pretty easy if you've got Premium and know where the medkits are...

Without premium though, I'm relatively good at playing a Soldier, especially now that I've got the Gunboats!

Kalsard

Years
  • Gunboats aren't that great. The secondary weapon of a shotgun is pretty handy against the pyros who stand around waiting for you to fire your rocket.

Back