• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket, Lame or Got Game?

Ponyta

Diamond Hooves
Years
  • Oh boy, that didn't make much sense. But I don't think they should go. They make for good comic relief, I guess. :/ They need another good Rocket takeover to help them

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    There was a VG Cats comic strip from a while back parodying this exact subject; as Jessie and James begin their motto (the old one; the new one is stupid), Ash interrupts.
    "Stop it! You've been following me for ten years. TEN (bad word) YEARS. AND FOR WHAT!? PIKACHU!? Take him! He's not even shiny... Because, instead of stalking some kid, I've caught my own Pokémon! I've got so many Poké balls I don't know what to do with them. I'm (bad word) trippin' balls! Ask Oak!" (Oak interjects with his own bout of wisdom) "Stay the (somewhat bad word) outta my sight." He walks away, and Meowth pipes in "Meowth, that's right!" (The link is right here; just be aware that there's cursing in it)

As in that strip, they've gone from being good criminals (wow, oxymoron) to being stalkers. They do absolutely nothing to the group. In fact, on DP episode had them go into their mecha early in the episode. They jumped out at the group, and after an initial shock, Dawn said "Oh. It's only Team Rocket." Brock: "Listen, we're in a hurry." Ash: "Pikachu, can you do a Thunderbolt please?" A blast off ensues.

Zenkovi

Class B Team Rocket Agent
    Years
  • During the Kanto saga, the Orange Islands saga, and the majority of the Johto saga, Jessie, James, and Meowth were all excellent characters. They each had likable personalities and provided the series with great entertainment. However, I thought the inclusion of Wobuffet to their team in Johto was a mistake, since it is nothing more than a poor man's version of Misty's Psyduck.

Beginning with the final episodes of Master Quest, the quality of Jessie's character decreased. Jessie was usually portrayed in the final Master Quest episodes and the Hoenn saga as being entirely cold hearted and inconsiderate. While she was hot headed and could act selfishly in series' episodes prior to the final ones from Master Quest, she was still shown as having some redeeming character traits. For some reason or another, the writers of the series also started to make her appear very ignorant. She has never been the most knowledgable character from the series, but she was never as uninformed as she was in the final Master Quest episodes and the Hoenn saga. I also dislike how the writers decided to include her in contests, since they were one of the worst new features added to the series in the Hoenn saga (though Jessie was a more amusing rival than most of the other ones May had). James, who was depicted in the Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto sagas as being an easy going and gentle guy, also became snippier mid-way through the Hoenn saga. And Meowth? In the Hoenn saga, he fizzled into the background and became nothing more than wallpaper, not unlike what happened to Brock and Misty during the Johto saga.

With the exception of "The Ole Berate and Switch," Jessie, James, and Meowth remained essentially the same during the Battle Frontier saga. In the Sinnoh saga, I have noticed that Jessie and James do sometimes go back to the ways they were before the writers decided to alter their characters. Alas, the same cannot be said for Meowth, who is still mostly a background character (I only remember him having an important role in "Noodles: Roamin' Off"). Unfortunately, James now also serves as a background character half the time. This usually occurs when Jessie is competing in contests.

My verdict:

Kanto: Got game
    Orange Islands: Got game
    Johto pre final Master Quest episodes: Got game
    Final Master Quest episodes: Got game for James and Meowth. Lame for Jessie.
    Hoenn: Lame
    Battle Frontier: Lame
    Sinnoh: Sometimes got game, but other times lame

If you are rating the trio solely on villainy, they were only villanious in "Pokemon Emergency." After that episode, they became comic relief villains, though they would still occassionally have villanious moments throughout the Kanto saga.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Team Rocket used to be a threat even having a watend poster, then they became... Team Rocket >.>

They can be pretty good heros when they get the opportunity when they get the chance, they're good at being heros, but as villains, they're pathetic, the twerps aren't threatened by them. and they blast off at the end of every day :<

not that thats stopped them from being...team rocket, and stalking a ten year old for ten years for an electric rat the boss doesn't even want not to mention their boss hardly even remembers that they're Rockets <_>

By now it seems like they just do their Team Rocket thing because they like being bad, and because they have nothing better to do with their time,

They got all flanderized and goofy, lost all their game
    but i still lauf them :>

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Team Rocket's rockin,
    Talkin' trouble, walkin' trouble,
    Double trouble, big trouble's gonna follow you,

Team Rocket's rockin,
    Talkin' trouble, walkin' trouble,
    Double trouble, big trouble's gonna follow you,
    We're gonna capture Pikachu

Sigh... When did those days go by?

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I miss VHS casettes

*wakes up* , hey DID I say something ??
    Yes really , they looked so badass and Jessie had red hair...
    Now her pink hair and Joselina disguise are so childish...

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • yeah and thats game! like jaden yuki says yep team rocket have got game

Back