• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's A Wrap! #4: The Lego Movie (2014) [Daily Bloggity Entry #262]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
[css-div="background-color: #660033 ; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]
EDmKUz7.jpg
Date: 28 February 2016
Time: 12:10 PM ET
Mood: Must blog!

"That's A Wrap! is a new series in the Daily Bloggity which gives my personal opinions and ratings on movies that I have either backlogged or never had the chance to watch until now. Be wary in reading the entries as they may contain spoilers if you don't want the movie ruined for you if you haven't seen it. It's not exactly a review of the movie, but rather just things I like and don't like it about the movie. This will be a random series that will occur on days at 5PM Eastern Time."

As some of you may know, I work - on top of in an elementary school - at an inner city daycare center. And as such, there are many differences that I could point out between the two. However, one similarity that I can strongly point out was the kids desire of wanting to belt out the "Everything Is Awesome" song each day I came in. This was last summer, mind you, and whenever the kids came in they would start singing that song; as a person who never saw that movie, I could never fully wrap my mind as to why they wanted to sing that. Last night, however, I finally got a chance to see the movie, ancd I can now see why the kids were so in love with it.

The Lego Movie is an excellent movie for children. When you think of "Legos", you think of three things: creativity, imagination, and wit. The amazing thing about Legos is that there is no limit in what you can build, where your imagination will shape what you can make. With this movie, the Lego Movie did an excellent job portraying that. From scenes where one moment they were driving a car to the next where they transformed it into a helicopter, to cuckoo land (or whatever they called it) where there was just-off-walls creativity everywhere, the Lego Movie really dictated how expansive the universe could really be.

And speaking of the universe, my god the effects were outstanding. It's amazing to think that Animal Logic, the studio behind the animation, built the universe from the ground up with so much care for detail. From emphasizing the way the horse would gallop - as the legs of it were glued together - to the water effects when they crashed into the ocean to the flawless integration of real world items, each scene was seamless in transition and flowed very well. It didn't seem clunky, but rather very fast paced in terms of the action going on within the movie. Two thumbs up from this guy on this end.

In terms of plot, I did enjoy the way it all panned out. The way they implemented the concepts of the instruction booklets vs master builder worked very well in my opinion, and they delivered the story in a very witty and funny way. The Lego Movie actually had a very, very good cast in terms of this movie with huge names like Will Ferrell, Chris Prat, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Charlie Day, and the list goes on and on. I did enjoy how they applied a parent vs child scenario near the end of the movie, but to me that was the only downside of the film. I sort of anticipated that this "godly figure" they kept referencing was an actual human, but the way it was delievered was a little bit confusing. It took me awhile to fully comprehend how ti was being played out, but in the moment of watching the movie it was difficult for me to understand whose actions were having a direct effect on the world the child was asssociated with: was it just the child who was fabricating what was going on in the Lego world, or was the dad also fabricating events going on? It also didn't make sense for me that the flying headquarters blew up at the end of the movie and not blow up in actual real life, but I digress. Just a minor complaint on my end.

As you could probably tell by my review, I thorouhly enjoyed this movie. As a person who grew up on Legos, I was very happy with the wittiness and creativity of the movie. It makes me very happy to the Lego brand making a great resurgence in the form of movies and video games, and it gives me hope that our upcoming generations will have as much creativity and imagination as ours did playing with these toys. As a result, it can be said that everything was quite awesome with this movie, and I'd be very curious to see if a sequel is in the works.

Final Rating: 9/10

What did you think of The Lego Movie? Comment below with your thoughts and opinions as I'd love to hear and discuss with you what you have to say about this subject!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! And remember, rate each entry so I can know what you guys like and what to improve on! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- El Héroe Oscuro

Spoiler:
[/css-div]

Back