• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"That's NOT my sister's name!"

Pokémon Trainer Dylan

Pokémon League Champion
Years
  • I'm pretty sure that I pronounce the names of a majority of the Pokémon correctly. Two that I always used to say wrong were Rattata and Regigigas. I would pronounce Rattata like "rat-ta-ta-ta" and Regigias like "re-gi-ig-ah-ga-gis".

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I hate it when people pronounce Pokémon as Pok-ay-mon and I also hate it when they pronounce Unova as ü-nova when it's supposed to be ū-nova. owo;

Minun4

Volting Justice
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 14, 2014
    I generally wouldn't get annoyed unless they are mocking Pokemon by intentionally saying names wrong and in that case I would be annoyed.

OtherAlias

Just another alias.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2024
    This reminds me of the only incident that bothers me from a different game, but in reverse; when Square officially announced how Tidus' name was pronounced in Kingdom Hearts. I personally think 'Ty-dus' sounds better than 'Tee-dus', but that's another subject entirely... xD

Oh dude, that bothered me a lot too. "Ty-dus" sounds a lot more fitting than "Tee-dus".

But as for the topic. It doesn't really bother or irritate me when people pronounce a Pokemon related term differently than I do as much as it catches me off guard.

I pronounce Rayquaza like, "Ray-Kwaww-Za", but some people pronounce it "Ray-Kway-Za". I don't really watch the anime so I don't know the actual enunciation, but when I first heard someone pronounce it "Ray-Kway-Za", I was like "Oh, is that how it's pronounced?" rather than "Hey, it's pronounced ___-____-___, etc!"

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • I don't get mad if someone pronounces a name wrong, but I do correct them. I only get mad if they purposely continue mispronouncing it just to annoy me >:|
    I pronounce Pokémon as "Poke-uh-mon" cause that's how they always said it in season one so it stuck haha.

I have no clue how to say any of the Unova (and you guessed it, I mispronounce "Unova", too) Pokémon names. I guess it doesn't really matter though, because I don't know half of those Pokémon. I would have known but Pokémon White bored me to death before the third gym.

This has nothing to do with Pokémon, but I remember when my friend, her brother and I played Animal Crossing at their house, they would pronounce the squirrel, Pecan, as "Peck-in". I was like, "Dear lord, really?? It's 'pee-can'. You know, like the nut? ._. " Bahaha xD

This reminds me of the only incident that bothers me from a different game, but in reverse; when Square officially announced how Tidus' name was pronounced in Kingdom Hearts. I personally think 'Ty-dus' sounds better than 'Tee-dus', but that's another subject entirely... xD
    Same here! I've always said "Ty-dus". "Teed-dus" is just weird ._.

Years
  • I'm not really caring most of the time but I can be picky when people just don't get why I purposely say the correct pronunciation for them to point out their mistakes but they just give that attitude. =.= Also, I came across this Youtuber uploading walkthroughs of his game and he kept articulating Pokemon as 'Poke-on' without the 'm'. It totally sounds off! x_x

Well, I've been saying Rayquaza as 'Ray-quar-sar' such that it sounds like there's the word 'quasar' in it, which actually was how the name was created, according to the name trivia by Bulbapedia. That, and I'd like to politely point that by saying 'Ray-quay-zah, I think it would be sounding like Rayqueeza, since 'quay' is pronounced as 'kee'.

Also, I'm quite bewildered over the pronounciation for Luxray. Is it supposed to be 'Lux-ray'? My friends and I always say it as 'Lux-zerr-ray' with the slur, cos it somehow makes the Pokemon sound cool. xD And Vileplume too. I verbalize it as 'Vye-ler-ploom' whereas I've heard some saying 'Vile-plum-mer' or 'Vee-lay-plum'. Confusing? Yeah....

Years
  • lmao, silly gooses, Tidus is the Okinawan word for sun, so of course it would be "tee-dus". I don't see what's the problem with that, "ty-dus" sounds over the top fancy/lamely flamboyant to me.

Anyway, I've always had a lot of trouble pronouncing Rayquaza. I've heard my friends say "Ro-quay-zuh" or "Ray-quar-zuh", lol. And also, I had a little pronunciation misfit with Arceus as well, whether it's "Ark-ee-us" or "Ar-see-us".

Years
  • I used to have a great amount of trouble pronouncing Phanpy and Suicune's names, I called the former "fan-fee" and the latter, "Soo-ee-soon", when I was a wee lad. I once met someone who called Octillery, "Oct-a-lehr-ee", I made sure he wouldn't make that mistake again.

Qin

The Flaming Rat's General!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Yes, I have a friend who insists on calling my favourite, Machamp, Mash-amp. It gets REALLY frustrating!

Anyway, on to me, I used to call Kyogre Ciro-gu but that could just have my accent influencing my speech... Nevertheless, there have been others.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    Do you get irritated whenever someone proncounces it: "poke-a-mon" or "poke-ee-mon"?

There are genocides happening in Africa and other parts of the world. This... No I can't get mad over mispronouncing "pokemon."

Besides, it's PROPERLY pronounced "poh-gey-mans" so you should feel bad about yourself.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I say that you pronounce Pokemon Poh-Kuh-Mawn...
    But then again, I can't talk, I say "Rayquaza" as "ray-kewh-zuh" ._.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    The only time I really got bugged by pronunciation was in a quiz bowl game.. There were a series of ten questions about Pokemon where the moderator (reader) would call out a Pokemon's name and we would have to quickly answer with the Pokemon's type. Clearly I was able to get all of them, but the last one was Meganium and he pronounced it "Meg-ain-um (like the 'g' in vegetable instead of the 'g' in mega)," and I was like, "Huh?" and we got all but the last one wrong :( Other than that time, I always love when Pokemon comes up in a quiz bowl game.
    (My team got 2nd place in national's by the way xD)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Is someone pronounces Vaporeon as Vap-er-on again, I will attack them!

The Dream world doesn't help.
    "That's NOT my sister's name!"

Back