• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The A/B trick

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I read that if you pressed down + B at the exact moment the pokeball opens (or closes, I can't remember which) you would always have a 100% chance to catch a pokemon. I still do that sometimes, even though I know it doesn't work. D:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    What that website says makes sense, but isn't related to this trick. It's a lot more complicated then that. And I highly doubt Nintendo has said anything on the subject. Regardless, it doesn't work.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I'm aware that the trick doesn't work, but I do it anyway. It feels like it's working when I do that. :P

I didn't get it from anyone either. It just made a lot of sense when I first played the games, so I used the trick to help increase my chances.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    sadly i still do this even though i know it doesn't work. it is just a habit that i have had since the very first generation that i haven't broken and probably never will.

WasNotMe

Charliezard is hot... >_<
    Years
    it doesnt do anything, like everyone said but I feel holding right and b and then letting go of b just before the pokeball bounces but keeping right down works a treat. I can also blame timing on it not working.

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Think about it this way...

Why would the programmers put something stupid in like the a/b trick?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    For one, it's not "stupid"... Secondly, they didn't necessarily "put it in", but, as I showed above, it is in. I don't understand how several people went on about how it doesn't work and is "stupid" after I linked to a site discussing how and why it works.

Years
    I once read in a magazine that you pressed and held down+B to increase catch rate. This was back in... 1999, if memory serves me. So, of course, I did it. As I got older and wiser, I realised that it doesn't work.

I still press down+B to this day, anyways.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Yeah, holding the button while trying to capture a pokemon was proven to be useless a while back.

That doesn't mean I stopped doing it. Like most people, it grew into a habit that I still do to this day. :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Okay, two people say it doesn't work right after I complained about people saying it doesn't work?

Years
    Okay, two people say it doesn't work right after I complained about people saying it doesn't work?
    Redstar, I said that it doesn't work prior to reading the article you posted earlier in the thread. My bad. It works, yes, but the desired effect (an increase in the probability that a Pokémon will be caught) is hard to achieve, from my understanding.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Think about it this way...

Why would the programmers put something stupid in like the a/b trick?
    I don't know, why would they include a truck that was never used but has instead been the source of so many theories?

:laugh:

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    A friend taught me this "trick" when I was younger. Ever since then I do it without thinking.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I have tried it, and it really doesn't make it any better or worse for me. It's still 50/50 for me. But of course, I do it without thinking now. I was told this years ago, and still to this day when I am catching a Pokemon I still try it. lol. It never really does anything though. That I know.

I think it's just a myth.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    I press A in time with the ball rolling from side to side. Its an automatic thing for me, it makes me think that i will catch the pokemon.

Back