• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Art of Co-Op (Flock of Seagulls, Calvin and Hobbes, Slow Mo Guys) [Daily Bloggity Entry #169]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    [css-div="background-color:#CC9966 ; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]

AKdc19A.jpg

Date: 22 October 2014
    Time: 1:53 PM ET
    Mood: Can it be Friday already?

Ah, it's that wonderful time of the year again. Or rather, I should really say that it's the beginning of a routine that I will be commencing yearly. You see, at the university I attend - i.e. Northeastern University - we have something in our curriculum which we call "co-op." If you've never heard of this phrase before, it's essentially another word for a job. Unlike most colleges, our semesters are split up based off of when we'll work; we'll take classes for four months and then work for four months; we are given time in our school year where we'll essentially have the chance to gain experience so when we graduate we will have an advantage over other students (fun fact: Northeastern University is ranked #1 in the country when it comes to co-op.) The best part about all of this? These jobs are paid ($$$.)

Daily Music - "I Ran" by Flock of Seagulls
    Spoiler:
    As stated prior, I'm hitting full swing when it comes to co-op. I've submitted my resume to all my potential employers and am now just waiting on replies from a bunch of them for interviews. They are all basically the same premise; they are all teaching aid positions in which I get to interact with kids and help them with homework, run lunches, and assist with recess/bus dismissal. I've decided that I want to become a teacher, so I figured that this would be a good starting avenue for me and hit the ground running with this starting occupation. All of them have the same pay except for one ($10 across the board except for one that pays $14.)

Daily Comic - "After Life" by Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes
    Spoiler:
    The one that pays $14 unfortunately, I heard back today that I didn't get the job. It was a little bit of a low blow for me considering I didn't actually see it coming. Leaving the interview I was under the impression that I left a really good mark on the interviewer and I was overall feeling pretty confident about my answers. The only thing that sucks really about the whole situation is that there's no way in which I can accurately measure how I did and what kind of mistakes I made in the interview so that I can make sure I don't make them again in my next interview (which is actually taking place on Monday.) I'll most likely just review some of my resume and try to better prepare myself for some of the answers in which I may be able to anticipate. However, all I can really do at this point is to put that interview and job position in the past and move on to the next one.

Daily Video - "Soggy Flappy Faces in Slow Motion" by educators Slow Mo Guys
    Spoiler:
    It's a pretty exciting time to say the least. Or rather, exciting and also terrifying. I love this concept that I'll be able to start building up my resume at such a young age and which I can essentially graduate with a job under my arms. However, it's still a little bit nerve-racking thinking "what if I don't get a co-op position?" I don't really believe that's going to be the case this time around as I applied to over 9 jobs and my resume in general is pretty tippy-top, but it's a concern nonetheless. As each of these jobs that I'm applying to now are equal in pay across the board, I'm just going to try to build onto each interview and correct my mistakes so by the time I get to the last interview - which hopefully by that time I'll be offered a job - I am 100% prepared and there's no reason for error.

But yeah, co-op has basically taken over my life right now. It's going to be an amazing feeling nonetheless when I do land a job, as well as the fact that I won't have to do any homework for a good solid 4 months. It's not as anxiety inducing as I thought it was going to be - thankfully - but I'd still like to just get through this phase in my life so I can focus on other matters happening in my life. But what about you guys? What do you want to do when you graduate out of college? Have you ever heard of co-op before I introduced this in my blog entry? What is a job in which you would never accept in a million years? Comment below as I'd love to hear and discuss with you what you have to say about this topic!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! And remember, rate each entry so I can know what you guys like and what to improve on! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- El Héroe Oscuro

Spoiler:
    [/css-div]

Back