• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Generation?

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010
    Alright everybody, what is your favorite generation. and why?

For me it was the 1st because it has all the best of them, I mean there shouldn't have even been anything else. There should only be those 151. And don't get me started on the stuff like HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    By 'generation' I'm assuming you want us to judge the entire package, such as the new pokemon, the region(s) featured, battle mechanics, storyline, etc... right?

In that case, I have to be perfectly honest and say that each generation has been better than the last in its own regard. Sure Sinnoh is lame and the story for DPPt drags on fooorever, but the new pokemon introduced and the overhaul in the battle mechanics made it more enjoyable overall, plus HGSS totally redeemed the series to me after DP left such a bad taste in my mouth. :P

BTW, when you say that there shouldn't have been anything after RBY, are you taking into account how horribly broken the battle system was back then? Competitive battles were nothing but, "lol, who can get Alakazam out first?" XD

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    My favourite's probably the 4th,

I love LeafGreen, and HeartGold, so they can't divide between 4th and 3rd Generations.

However, despite Hoenn being nicer, I just find Diamond/Platinum more easily re-playable, and wi-fi really boosts the whole package, therefore I prefer 4th Gen over 3rd Gen. Just.

Years
    4th Gen. I hadn't played Pokemon in almost a decade, and it completely captured the spirit of the original, all while adding in tons of awesome new features. HG/SS just completed the package to make it the best.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    They all have their pros and cons, but I'm going to say generation II. I didn't play GSC as a kid, but I did play Pokemon Stadium 2, and with that game, I found my three favorite Pokemon of all time (Umbreon, Quilava, and Smeargle<3) and learned how to battle (since I sucked in Yellow). But generation III is a very, very close second because of it's replay value for me. :)

loganinak

I just lost the game :)
    Years
    I personally liked generation 3 because of pokemon emerald. Pokemon emerald is my favorite pokemon game of all time. Mostly because it had the hoenn region. but I also really like the wi-fi feature in gen. 4 so its hard to decide.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
    My fave is the 4th generation. Soul Silver and Platinum.
    Although I really liked Hoenn when I first played it... but nothing could beat my love for the nice graphics that the newest pokemon games have.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    I say that I liked them all.

All generation had they own pros and cons, so I can't say which one I liked the most.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    All of them are pretty cool.. im kinda disappointed in the 5th gen so far but the chinchilla pokemon is friggin adorable x333 <3

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    I had my best memories with generation 3 it seems due to the remakes of Red and Green as well as the beautiful Hoenn region. And it also would seem that I was into Pokemon the most at that time.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I have to say that the first generation is and always will be my favorite. Obviously the plot and some Pokémon designs seem lackluster in comparison to newer ones, but that is not what made the first generation great for me. I remember sitting around my elementary school lunch table discussing the latest rumors of how to obtain Mew, Pikablu, and the PokéGods, debating the origins and effects of Missingno, battling and trading with one another every chance we got, and so on. It was the culture of this generation that made it so much fun and memorable, and I haven't had quite that experience in any of the subsequent generations (except maybe the second to a slightly lesser degree).

That said, every one of the generations have been immensely enjoyable in different ways. I think it would be impossible for me to pick a least favorite.

Last edited:

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
    I think I'll go with generation 2. I loved the Johto series, the Johto land, the Johto pokemon and gym leaders/trainers/Elite four.
    And, that goes for the first generation as well, I loved the music ! But yeah, I also loved the Emerald Theme when you battle against the Elite Four Champion !
    But overall, I think I will just say Gen 2. :3

Back