• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] The Bread Atelier

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Hi everyone! I do nature-related traditional art, while my digital art consists of simplistic images, pixelart and spritework.

Here are some bird drawings from my current sketchbook. I draw these while in the field, ie the wilderness, which might explain why the pages look as battered as they do. The point of these is to look as realistic as possible, but I still have ways to go. My main influence is Dan Zetterström, a swedish ornithologist who provided a lot of artwork for the Collins Bird guide. Some of the drawings are dedicated to someone I know and their names have been censored.

Rock bunting
Spoiler:

Laurel pigeon
Spoiler:

Sandwich tern
Spoiler:

Crossbill, Siskin and Pied flycatcher
Spoiler:

Griffon vulture
Spoiler:

Rubythroat
Spoiler:

Hoopoe
Spoiler:

Black redstart
Spoiler:

Red phalarope
Spoiler:

Red-rumped wheatear
Spoiler:

Nile valley sunbird
Spoiler:

Long-tailed tit
Spoiler:

Grey wagtail
Spoiler:

Corn crake
Spoiler:

Years
These are great! Have you ever tried to use watercolors for coloring? It takes a bit of getting used to and finding the right paper, but it can be very good for quick color on outdoor drawings! There are also watercolor pencils, so you could color mostly with colored pencil like you are doing, but can do some blending with very light amounts of water!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
These are great! Have you ever tried to use watercolors for coloring? It takes a bit of getting used to and finding the right paper, but it can be very good for quick color on outdoor drawings! There are also watercolor pencils, so you could color mostly with colored pencil like you are doing, but can do some blending with very light amounts of water!

Thank you! That is something I definitely want to transition to and I was looking at some quality pencils, but I was deterred by the price at that moment. My savings have grown since then, so maybe soon?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I love this!! Your bird anatomy is spot on! Man, you must live somewhere really cool to have such diverse species of birds. Then again, maybe everywhere does and I'm just blind to it? But this definitely has inspired me to keep my eyes open cause wow those are some gorgeous specimens!

My only critique is to not be afraid of color. I can tell you're using a light hand with coloring, which is good for getting the base colors down, but don't hesitate to really add some value and depth to your work. Really make those vibrant colors POP and contrast it with those dark blacks and neutral tones. As it is some of the birds are getting a little lost in the background scenery. Maybe try outlining the subject in a slightly darker color?

I also want to second Nina, have you tried watercolors? I feel it would really compliment your soft style. Keep up the great work!! (●♡∀♡)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I love this!! Your bird anatomy is spot on! Man, you must live somewhere really cool to have such diverse species of birds.

Oh if only hahaha.
I don't draw birds when I see them in nature, they would never stay put for long enough to do something like that. The way I do it is, I open the bird guide, take a very good look at the bird and then draw it from memory. Before I start adding finer details, I open the bird in the guide and make some corrections.

Back