• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Clan - Organization Thread v.2

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    >>Last News update - Dec. 23rd<<

Introduction to The Clan
    The Clan is a group of competitive and friendly pokemon players. We strive to improve and be the best just like any other clan. While we are perfectly willing to aid new players and battle them, but our aim is to be a group of talented and experienced players, and that is primarily what we will look for in new members.

New members and those seeking to join: Please refer to the posts after this one for resources, rules, and details.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place for Clan members to seek within-clan battles, discuss upcoming or current Clan events, for others to seek membership, and for other clans to challenge us to contests of skill. This is not a thread for non-clan members to seek battles.

Clan News Page

New Members
    We would like to Shiraishi into our clan! Please treat him well.

Current News
    1/15 - Front page trimmed.

PokeCommunity IRC Chatroom - #thepokecommunity on irc.systemnet.info. You knew this already. People don't often discuss pokemon there, much less battle each other. I will certainly lurk there when I am on mIRC, but it might be better just to look in this thread for challengers instead.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Clan Information Page

Leaders

Nightofshadow
    - Clan Founder. We await his triumphant return.

celestial_okami
    - Temporary Clan Leader / Organizer

Richard Steel
    - Available for testing here

Ooka

Assistants (previously 2nd in Command)
    Sabaku no Gaara
    Name

How to Join

In order to join, please contact one of the clan leaders by PM. You will be required to perform several tasks in order to prove yourself as being a skilled and resourceful pokemon battler.

At the moment, we ask that new members not be members of other clans. This is for the sake of any between-clan competitions. Any current members who are a part of other clans may remain as members of those clans. If you believe your case warrants a special exception or you wish to join another clan, please PM me.

These tasks may include any of the following:
    > A Singles 6v6 Battle, OU Tier
    > A Doubles 6v6 Battle, OU Tier
    > A Singles 6v6 Battle, UU Tier
    > An analysis of one of the above battles and the planning behind the team you chose
    > A test of your knowledge of pokemon
    > A test of your reasoning ability

Depending on the level of skill you exhibit you may be asked to perform as few as one of these tasks, or as many as (but no more than) three of them. The task selected is up to the leader whom you PM. We understand that the Doubles and UU tiers are less explored at this point in time, so if a leader chooses one of those battle types for your test we take the uncertain state of the metagame into consideration. At the Leader's option, you may be delegated to an Assistant who will perform these tests, but at this time no Assistant may give you membership to the clan without Leader approval.

As for knowledge of pokemon and reasoning, we understand that a vast amount of information and resources is available on pokemon, and that anyone can just open a website and pull answers from it. However, a person who does not have the knowledge to answer his own questions about his opponent's pokemon without these resources is at a disadvantage, who does not know how to use these resources at all is at a further disadvantage still. We will take into account both kinds of scenarios and ask you for information which is not easily found on such websites if such a test is chosen.

Success in these tasks is not necessarily determined by winning or losing a battle or by achieving a certain number of correct answers on a test. Your skill, creativity, and strategy in the battle is what is being considered. If you have an OU team which wins by brute force but is typical of OU teams, you may be applauded for your efforts but asked to explain your team's strengths and weaknesses and analyze the battle. If you show excellent in-battle strategy and planning while using a team at first considered to be inferior to your opponent's and only just barely lose, you may instead be granted membership right away. The exact circumstances will vary from person to person and from leader to leader.

If you wish, you may request that your battle take place over Shoddy, an online vs. battle simulator which allows players to create teams of pokemon to their specifications and then battle with them. The purpose of this is to eliminate the effect of breeding on the battle and to let a person's skill be what shows the most. However, remember that this is a site for battling over the Wi-Fi network, not Shoddy, and this site is not a Shoddy battle matchmaker site. Also, be aware of the fact that while Shoddy is a very accurate recreation, bugs do exist and there are game processes which have not been perfectly reproduced. For more details or assistance, visit shoddybattle.com or PM one of the Leaders.

Here is an example list of the things you will be tested on.

After passing these tasks, were will merely ask you to agree to abide by the rules of the clan, and then you are in! You can then enjoy any clan benefits we offer and participate in clan-only events

Clan Rules Page

Rules for Members

We in the Clan have a reputation to uphold as civilized, reputable, and dedicated pokemon battlers. As such, we ask that you abide by these rules when representing the clan in this forum and in other circumstances, (except when they would conflict in which case we ask you to abide by the rules of the forum or other location you are representing the clan in).

Rule 1.
    Be respectful of other clan members, other clans, and non-clan members. Do not cause conflicts or argue with other clan members. This does not mean no debating, discussion, or friendly rivalry. If there is truly a dispute between you and another clan member, please take it up with a leader. If your dispute is with a Leader, please take it up with myself or another Leader. If your dispute is with an Assistant, please take it up with the Leader who referred you to said Assistant. If there is an issue that needs to be taken care of by a PC forum moderator, then by all means go to them.​

Rule 2.
    No deceit. This means that you need to be honest in your trades and battles. Do not misreport the results of tournament matches or lie about trades. If your opponent wishes to know your team after the battle, reveal it to him truthfully or not at all.​

Rule 4.
    Show proper battle etiquette. This means that you don't disconnect in the middle of a match, do not take more time than you need to make a move, and only run if your intent is to concede. Do not use pokemon with obscene nicknames or use seals to spell out obscene phrases. A good example is common swear words. If you battle with voice chat, respect your opponent and don't swear unless he or she also swears. If you violate a battle clause, concede immediately or declare yourself the loser regardless of the outcome of the battle. Lastly, take you wins and losses gracefully. Don't lord over those you defeat and insult those who defeat you.​

Rule 4.
    If you use a piece or hardware or software to create or modify pokemon (a method commonly known as 'hacking'), you should not battle using pokemon you create with modifications which could not be normally obtained without said devices unless your opponent is fully informed and agrees to their use. For those pokemon within such limits, you still must inform your opponent that you intend to use them. Some players do not wish to battle against said pokemon, and you need to respect their wishes. Look at my signature if you need a good example of a way to inform your opponents of your intent.​

So to sum it up, it is fine to create max IV, 510 EV, move-legal pokemon. It is also acceptable if you and your friend want to do battle with 999-in-every-stat Spacial-Rending Bidoofs if you both agree to it (although don't expect them to be allowed in any clan tourneys).​

Clan Resource Page

Wi-Fi Battle: Rules and Clauses

As most of us already know Wi-Fi battles often involve player-enforced clauses which seek to balance the game to be more fair. It is oftentimes difficult to recall if you have named all the clauses you want to use, so here they are for your reference.

The most common and widely accepted ones are Sleep, Evasion, OHKO, Species, Uber, and Hacked Pokemon clauses.

Sleep – You may not put more than one of your opponent's pokemon to sleep at a time unless it was by an event you had no control over (e.g. The ability Effect Spore when one of your opponent's pokemon is already asleep via your actions.) or unless your only other option in the battle is to concede (e.g. You are down to your last pokemon, which uses Hypnosis. You miss, and on the next turn your opponent uses Encore).

Evasion – You may not use a move which raises your evasion unless it was by an event you had no control over. (e.g. Raising evasion via Acupressure is allowed because the stat increase is random.) You may use a held item that raises evasion provided that is not restricted by some other clause. This is distinguished from the Sleep Clause allowing violation in the case of concession because you should never have a move which increases evasion on a pokemon you use for battling, and thus no instance in which you are forced to an evasion-increasing move or forfeit.

OHKO Move – No moves which faint the opponent in one hit may be used unless it was by an event you had no control over (e.g. Metronome). For reference, these moves are Horn Drill, Guillotine, Fissure, and Sheer Cold.

Species – No more than one pokemon of each species is allowed.

Explosion – If a player causes a Draw through the use of Explosion, Self Destruct, or Destiny Bond, that player loses the game instead.

Item – No more than one of any item may be used. Items with duplicate effects but different names are allowed (e.g. Black Sludge and Leftovers).

'Hax' Item – No Quick Claw, King's Rock, Bright Powder, or Lax Incense. Some consider these items to be too disruptive by adding an additional luck factor into the game.

Uber – No pokemon in the 'Uber' tier are allowed. Uber tier pokemon are considered to be too powerful for the OU metagame.
    The Uber tier consists of the following pokemon:
    Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet

Legendary – No legendary pokemon are allowed, regardless of what tier they fall into. Phione and Rotom, despite being considered legendary by some, do not typically fall under this rule (primarily due to their comparatively low power) and are usually allowed.

Hacked Pokemon – While not really a clause as much as it is common sense, don't use pokemon which have modifications which could not be normally obtained in the game as outlined in Clan Rule #4 above. Please do not confuse this with banning pokemon who have been created within the normally obtainable limits. If you wish to restrict their use in a battle, please expressly state your desire.

Tier Lists
    Uber stands for the strongest pokemon in the game, considered too powerful for the rest
    OU stands for Over-Used, representing the most highly used pokemon in the game.
    BL stands for Border Line. Too strong to be grouped with the rest of UU pokemon.
    UU stands for Underused. Pokemon who don't see very much use at all.
    NU stands for Never Used. Very little chance to best other pokemon. Think Delibird.

Please understand that the tiers are still in debate, even on some of the most dedicated metagame analysis sites like smogon. There are many websites you can consult for old tier lists, but take them with a grain of salt as the creators may not take the effort to update them as the metagame evolves.
    The following diagram clarifies how these tiers are separated: '>' Indicates power difference, wheras '--' indicates a difference in usage only.

Uber > OU -- BL > UU > NU
    _______\_ _ _ _ _ _/

Uber is too strong for OU.
    OU is used more than BL
    BL is too strong for UU
    OU is used more than UU
    Everything is stronger than NU

One aspect which might be lost on some people – This diagram indicates that the difference between OU and UU is usage only, and that might seem contradictory to some people (although often power is the reason for the difference in usage). However, it is very useful to separate the tiers this way. An easy way to think of BL is 'UU Ubers.'

If you need to make a judgment as to what tier something falls into, your decision should be based on whether or not the pokemon is too strong for others in that tier to be balance. To further clarify, A pokemon that is considered UU should not be moved to BL because it can work well in the OU/BL environment. Effectively, all that does it make it unusable in UU as and OU battle can involve pokemon from any tier below it. A pokemon should be moved out of UU to BL if it is too strong or unbalancing for UU.

Smogon's tier list is probably the most reliable at this point given the community dedicated to the metagame there, but feel free to discuss with your battle partner if you believe a pokemon should be allowed in your battle which a tier list would exclude.

Pokemon Resources

Here are some resources for the aspiring pokmon master. Please note that neither Pokemon Community forum staff nor myself can vouch for the accuracy or content of material presented on these other sites. This is the internet of course, but just thought I would give you a reminder.

Clickable links!
    Serebiihttps://www.serebii.net/
    - Complete basic pokedex, movelist, and game mechanics information. A must for the beginning pokemon trainer.
    Veekunhttps://veekun.com
    - An alternative to serebii, contains some information (such as move tutored moves) not as easily found on serebii.
    MetalKid's Pokemon Calculatorshttps://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Default.aspx
    - Source of the excellent MKPP program and highly accurate damage calculators (within 2-3 points).
    Smogonhttps://www.smogon.com/
    - Metagame strategy, debate, and advanced research into game mechanics. See forums as well as the main page.
    ShoddyBattlehttps://shoddybattle.com
    - Pokemon web battle simulator using Java.

Clan Records
    (forgive me for the lists, previous formatting consumed too much space)

Leaders
    Nightofshadow
    celestial_okami
    Richard Steel
    Ooka

Assistants
    Name
    Sabaku no Gaara

Regular Members
    c_dog, sims796, Auraoa, Alakazam17, Mullac51, Lumine, Shiraishi, Forced, TDB_leader, metalslug66.

Ex - Clan Members
    bigv9998 (banned)
    Toki Wartooth (banned from PC)

Last edited:

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    Yes, posts are good to go now.

Ok, here's the big post for me regard my new position as clan leader. I am not a good leader for this Clan.

I have a lot my time taken up by school and work. I am a full time graduate student and a part time employee so half the time I would be free for a pokemon battle or to test a new member, I am also at the university where I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network due to the web based login and should be working more on my graduate thesis anyway.

I am not the most experienced or skilled battler among us by a long shot. I make plenty of mistakes. I have a bit of a hard time wrapping my head entirely around team theory. I have a distinct dislike of certain legendary and OU tier pokemon that are clearly superior to the pokemon I put in their place.

I tend to make things a bit overcomplicated (just look at the rules and new member application overhaul I made). I am a stickler for rules when I feel they are justified even when I should just let it slide. I get annoyed when I have a hard time communicating with people. Even more troubling, I have a BA in Philosophy.

However, what I do want is to see this clan continue and provide its members with fun, entertainment, a sense of community, and of course a place to battle. When Nightofshadow returns, I will gladly give up my position to him to assume full control of the clan, and repeal any changes I will have made in his absence. I never felt like I was a leader anyway, I just want to be the man behind the throne who gives support the one who leads. In this case, all I would desire is to continue to help as an organizer and Assistant. At the moment, I trust Nightofshadow's decision to make me temporary leader.

Should an outcry emerge for me to step down, should I need to step down for personal reasons, or should a more suitable leader appear who I feel would be better in my position and is willing to take over, I will of course release control of this clan to that person should you be willing to follow him.

Thank you for your consideration and continued support of The Clan.

At the moment, I would like to get Richard Steel and Name confirmed so we can get the clan going again.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Well, I tried to join but I guess some people don't like to respond to pms >_<

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    I apologize for the delay Kazaam but at the moment I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network and I am the only confirmed leader so resolving these issues is of course my first priority. Please be patient while we resolve these issues.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Hm.. Punishment (my Rival D:) has been going inactive ever since, and Fiore was never seen, Richard Steel is still on and going, Born 2 B Evil is inactive ever since, R.A.M. left wi-fi battling, BIGBigman is still inactive, but logged on a few days ago, Pipluper was never seen after the 5 day outage. Nameless111 is active =D

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    I have been an acquaintance / friend of Nightofshadow since before he joined PC. As for his / her gender I believe that may just be a mistake he has never bothered to correct and has let run this entire time (given that I knew him to be a male in the other forum in which we met), although who knows since it is the internet.

@ Kazaam - Name and Richard Steel, while previous clan administrators, might not wish to continue with their previous positions. I can attest to Richard's skill and would happy to have him test you, but again he may not want to support the clan in its new form. I have no idea as to Name's skill and have no other leaders to vouch for him at the moment, and Sims is not even a previous leader nor has he expressed his desire to be one.

I may be able to be availible for testing in a few hours, however. Again, please be patient as we work to resolve these issues. Hopefully we will get going smoothly.

EDIT - Oops. Name was not an administrator, Nameless111 was. My PM refused to send to his address however. Hopefully he will see this thread and PM me instead.

Last edited:

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Well, in there lies another problem. I'll probably be going to bed within the next few hours.

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    I sorted through the old thread to determine who was a previous member of the clan. If your name is on the following list, you need to either post in this thread or PM me so I can confirm that you want to be a member of the clan.

Samson
    Law07
    Mysterio
    Source2007
    SharinganFlames
    Sabaku no Gaara
    Sir Beasty
    Luigi264
    DemonPrince

EDIT - Sorry for not being clear. The following people are already confirmed as active members by posting in this or the previous thread during the time of the switch-over:

sims796
    Toki Wartooth
    c_dog
    Name

If your name is on the following list, there is some uncertainty as to whether or not you are a member. Please PM with some evidence if you are a member.

Jinnai taichou
    41victory
    caster

If your name is on the following list and you still want to join the clan, please be patient, I am working towards resolving the new member issues whenever I can, but I do have other personal responsibilities beyond this forum. At the moment I am working towards getting Richard Steel to return and help govern, but he has not yet returned my message.

Poketrainer2004
    Kopaka96
    TheSharinganWar

Last edited:

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    If you note, your name is not on the list of those who need to PM me and is already in the last section of the first post as an active member. Sorry about all this delay people.

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    Thanks for the offer, but at this point the most important thing for me to do would be for me to get at least one other leader (I am aiming for Richard Steel but again no word) so we can start adding new members and get interest going. Other than that there isn't much we can do.

I won't be availible for testing for practically the whole of next week and I have to go to work in about 10 minutes. I'll try to come up with some things I can delegate to other members and have it up tomorrow.

At the moment, if you could check all the members on those lists I posted and PM all the members who have been active within at least the last month and direct them to this thread, that would be most helpful

Again, I am sorry for the delays and problems. :'(

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Toki, DOESN'T CHANGE TO FACT!! =D If you can beat me in a battle, then I'll say you are the master. I was the second member so HAH SIMS!

celestial_okami

~Druck der Farben~
    Years
    Whoa, what? Nameless111 is now Name? Revelation. Hey Name, if you can prove yourself to me in a future test then I will make you an acting leader. Another time though, my lunchbreak is over and I have to get back to work.

Back