• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily-Chit Chat of 09'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Let me just say this:

Guys, back in the day, the battle stadium was one of the worst things that ever even happened to Diamond and Pearl. Before the wifi forums were even implemented, that would most likely the only time that D/P ever acted mature. Other than that, it always went downhill and it always will go downhill. Especially when clans were allowed; this became a major problem for people like me and Shiny Umbreon to fix up. >__> Nowadays, I suppose I can say it's a bit better(even though I rarely check on it) though for sure I can say it's a hell of a lot better than the trade forums now. Back then, however, it was vice-versa.

Oh I agree with you there, I understand what you guys as former staff members/active DPP people were trying to present. And I THANK YOU guys so much for destroying clans. They were wastes of time, threads, and collected all the stupid people in one bunch to form rallies for no purpose. -_-

You see, people made arrogant and stuck-up posts almost all the time, thinking they could do whatever they hell they want and whatever, and thinking they're going to get away with it and whatever. You had some serious members that gave you some serious crap, and they don't really play around with you either. If you want an argument, and they'll give you something to argue about. Trust me, this sight is not pretty, as it very much happened to me before.

We only get one or two of those every blue moon now, in the stadium anyway, so of course I know what you mean. I wasn't disagreeing that the place doesn't get out of hand in spots on occasion, it's just (at least nowadays) not AHHH MASS CHAOS, EVERYBODY DOWN like..ever. I mean, CME closes a topic, she'll get bad mouthed for it by some n00b to which she says 'and you're point is?' and that's about the only heat that occurs. Which is all she really needs to do since the moderator's word is law and should be respected, not stabbed.

What me and CME are trying to point out is that; the D/P forums won't necessarily grow intellectually because hardly any smart posts are ever being made. Show us something that'll prove us wrong and maybe you can call your case out on that, then. But honestly, as much as I do lurk around the D/P section, intelligent posts are rarely ever being made. Trading hacked pokemon, Battling with hacked pokemon, battling with illegal rules, whatever(this may not be the case today, but that's how it was before).

Unfortunately, that does still occur. There aren't supreme ways of eliminating those using/trading hacked pokemon..it's been chopped quite a bit, mind you, since again I say we have a vast amount of members who are respectable battlers, trainers, and collectors. But it does happen. X_x

However, if you want intelligent posts, you won't be looking in the right forum anyway, depending on your definition of intelligent. If you mean sincere, more than one sentence, discussion of traded-Pokemon or how a match went/how one thinks it will go, check out the popular (as in not created in the past month) tournament and gym threads. ^_^ We're proud to say we've established ourselves quite well and in full respect/detail.

I'm not trying to hurt any feelings; I'm just pointing things out based on observations. You see, the forum section itself has existed for approximately 3 years. I've only recently stopped stalking the forum this year, because I never really felt the need to ever really look at it anyway(nothing offensive, I just...lost interest). But really, I'm not trying to insult anybody. It's basically pointing things out; because hardly anyone can just spontaneously mature over an extreme short period of time.

This is just my view on things.

I understand you completely. ^_^ I was just pointing out that the generalizations were the things that bugged me, not your overview of the forums themselves, those are correct to extents. And inactivity is usually what befalls the lands of DPPt to the orcsn00bs. If we had 10+ really well thought out, unique, active gyms and tournaments, a variety of established trading centers instead of just random people's threads, and natural, intellectual discussion in regular DPP-talk, we'd have a sparkling forum with just as many n00bs as anyone else.

We just need more active, brighter members to put in a little effort. Which is why I'm excited that Platinum seems to be getting a lot of the older folks to come back and see the place up a bit.

Guys, do you really need to argue about how a specific forum used to be like and refuse to accept the fact that there are n00bs who thrive in that section?

Is that really how you want to spend your time posting in the DCC?

Seems kind of pointless.
    Just sayin'.

Oh, I'm not arguing, just stating we have plenty of people in DPP that know what they're doing and are just a bit clouded by the weekly n00b entries (who again, let me state, leave within a month of their stay on PC because people ignore them.) I'm not saying the n00bs don't exist, I was stating the n00bs aren't the bulk of what DPPt is made to be.

And I apologize for bringing it up, again, I just wanted to defend my favorite section. We're not all bad! And if people would help out and put some effort into creating some good things, everyone on PC would have much less reason to think anything of that sort.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    The thing is, with Platinum's release, comes more hordes of noobs. Ever heard of the saying: "What goes up must also come down" ? The upside is that Platinum is coming out, and a lot of the veteran(the actual sensible, like you) D/Per's are getting highly excited and whatever and cannot wait for instant competition once you get your hands on it, whilst the other not-so-knowledgeable D/P'ers will just be spamming threads on how to get to Point A to Point B and vice versa. :| It's highly annoying.

True, but how do n00bs become active, healthy, intelligent forum members? By being reprimanded, told to review all the rules before posting again, and helped out by those of us who have been here long.

We assume, everyone does it, that any person age twelve and up should be educated enough to post correctly on these boards without anyone having to tell them otherwise. That isn't always the case...we'd like it to be, but we can't change that. The best thing everyone can do is to take their own n00b (well..pick somebody that has good quality/potential, not the BTL ME PLZs..they can just scoot..) and help them on the path to becoming an established contributor to PokéCommunity.

Again, of course I understand what you mean completely. Platinum will ring in the newbies like yesterday's waffles. Though instead of sigh at the forum and all it's ilk, people should try to embrace it and assist in sorting things out. While the mods do the "No, you can't post that." portion, they tend not to be the most helpful to newer members (of course again, members really should read the rules, but with all those stickies, sometimes reading all of it without examples can be overwhelming.) So regular members should take in account that they too were once considered a n00bskillet and try to give a little instead of folding arms and shaking heads.

Lol, new topic besides the n00byness of DPP plz. We're pretty much arguing about nothing XD

Nobody's arguing XD Just stating facts and opinions. Feel free to bring in the "why is Pluto no longer a moon!?!" debate anytime.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Just trying to change the topic. See, it worked! ^_____^

You didn't intend for that to happen at all. :P

I dislike when spell/grammar check doesn't catch everything. I've also noticed, some words are corrected differently on Macs than on PCs.

EDIT: And Twilight, of course I know you guys have done things in the past! Some stuff worked quite well, and I wish we had more things being implemented. I assure you, no longer is our DPPt the 'not give a crap' style of forum, like I said we've got a few small-minded lame-o's, yet a vast majority of us would take to new ideas (such as the just now implemented PC Wifi Ladder and Angela's own Hall of Fame list) quite well! I look forward to what other new ideas anyone and everyone bring to the table. It's just for as long as I've been active here (about the last the year or so), the only idea brought out was Apostle's Summer League tournament which was just a formatting error in how the tournament would progress that caused it to fail, not participation and n00boverthrowing the place.

And yes, the simple "dos" and "donts" handed out by the staff help along. I just meant that it wouldn't hurt to give a little extra attention to some of them. Yes, they have to learn on their own, but a mentor (or a PC brother/sister if you will) probably wouldn't hurt in the beginning.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    Ugh...dial-up. I hate having to deal with it. I don't think I'll have to deal with it anymore, thankfully. I used to have the (extreme) patience to handle it...now, I don't think I could.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Ugh, no Youtube? I wouldn't be able to survive X(

My wifi is sometimes a bit spotty here at school, but it's generally pretty reliable.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Haha, my wifi is going out like 3 times a day at weird moments nowadays. I don't understand it, but hopefully my dad can fix it from dropping signal so much.

And Twilight, no worries, I edited my above post up there. =] I didn't mean any hard feelings to you or the others talking about DPPt, and I understand you don't either. It was just a matter of how much (supposed) effort was being put into the place, rather than having it require defibrillators (still shocks me that that word has two L's) and a n00b broom to sweep up the mess every weekend. But we're all good, we can discuss other things. ^^

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Someone loan me 400 bucks so I could get myself like a 1 GB Dell Laptop. >> In addition to a router, my life will have finally been complete.

Well Arcanine only accepts cash, but..will you take debit? XD

I had a Dell Studio. The sound sucked, the screen was bad quality, the speakers malfunctioned/I couldn't use headphones, and the video chat didn't work with anyone who didn't have Dell Messenger.

So my dad sent it away and decided he'd buy me the Macbook if I would pay for half of it. ^__^ It's well worth it..I feel so organized, on top of everything I do on the internet, as well as keep in contact with all my friends who just left for college in the Fall. But..everyone hates me because they're so expensive >_> Which I understand is hard to handle if you don't work 6 days a week each summer.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Hey, it's a good thing rather than a bad thing. I'm hoping they'll still be cheap by the time I actually have the money to buy them, or else I'll be in a pretty deep hole, then. D:

Yeah, I was just commenting on the prices. It's great that more people will be able to afford them and such. Eventually I'll have to get a computer not half paid for by my parents ;D

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I'm going to desperately need one before I even go to my Junior year, because I'll be taking college courses then and it'll be incredibly difficult to manage my college courses with my mother being on the same computer as I am working her daily job and whatnot. It gets really frustrating at certain times, but at other times it gets bearable, I suppose(that is, provided that I don't/barely have any work to do on that day).

Hell, even if I wasn't given wifi and still got a laptop, I would still feel really accomplished. ;__;

My parents didn't let me have a laptop until I went to college. But my parents both had laptops, so I pretty much had the home computer all to myself =P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I got a laptop for my... 16th birthday? It was a used one though so it was really old and nearly falling apart. xD; I wasn't allowed to take it off the main floor and for a good year we didn't have wireless internet anyway so if I wanted to be online with it, I had to sit on the floor in the computer room. :( That sucked.

Once I went away to university, my graduation present was a new laptop and they don't care what I do anymore. My dad and I often stay up late when I'm home just watching TV and sitting there with our laptops. XD;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back