• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE END OF GAME SHOPS IS NIGH!

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I made 8 grand on GAME stock. It went to stupidly low amount so I bought 2k worth and got a 6k profit. Pretty happy with that. It went down to 1 at some point which was when I bought mine and yesterday it was at 4, so I sold them all making a huge profit <3 my mum also did the same. (Slightly offtopic I know)

I have heard about other company's looking into buying them but I really hope that doesn't happen as walmart has show an interest in buying them out.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    BWAHAHAH- *Ahem*
    I stand by what I said earlier. I think GameStop is still going pretty strong for the time being.

As for physical game copies themselves, I can't really try to predict when, but I don't feel like they're going to last much longer.
    I feel like physical game copies will eventually phase out to the point of where they're still there to purchase, but it's not the preferred method of purchasing games. Kinda like how music CDs still exist, but most people rely on buying MP3s off the internet (granted they even purchase their music).
    However, if publishers like EA keep restricting how many times you can download/install a digital copy I think physical game copies will have a chance to stick around much longer.

It's up to video game retailers whether or not they think they'll be able to stay afloat in those times.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    BWAHAHAH- *Ahem*
    I stand by what I said earlier. I think GameStop is still going pretty strong for the time being.

As for physical game copies themselves, I can't really try to predict when, but I don't feel like they're going to last much longer.
    I feel like physical game copies will eventually phase out to the point of where they're still there to purchase, but it's not the preferred method of purchasing games. Kinda like how music CDs still exist, but most people rely on buying MP3s off the internet (granted they even purchase their music).
    However, if publishers like EA keep restricting how many times you can download/install a digital copy I think physical game copies will have a chance to stick around much longer.

It's up to video game retailers whether or not they think they'll be able to stay afloat in those times.
    I think the appeal with MP3s versus CDs is that you don't have to download the entire album. You can just download the tracks you want.

We're not going to get to a point where we're downloading individual levels (I hope). So, I don't think digital distribution will replace physical media for while. Appropriate download speed and storage capacity has to be more widespread before it goes "mainstream"

Back