• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Fugitive Challenge

EB

Re: World
    Years
    Hmm... This idea could have easily been more thorough. I really do like the idea of adding outside elements to the games to make them alive again, though!

I might brainstorm more later.

=Introduction=

I've finally put forth the time to delve into my "more thorough" idea that I skimmed over in my head the other day, and I feel that this challenge is reasonably balanced. So here we go!

(A short story has been added for your enjoyment. ^-^ If you choose to read it, you'll get the gist of what the feel of the Fugitive Challenge is supposed to be. If you choose not to, that's perfectly fine as well; just thought I'd put on paper what was running through my mind at the time. Oh also, Red and Blue's roles are flipped; I'm blue-version-biased, sorry guys.)

Spoiler:

Believe me when I say that this version is much shorter than the unedited one. You should feel lucky. =p

Now for the ruleset.

=Rules and Explanations=

The ruleset found in the Fugitive Challenge was determined by taking the simple in-game limits found in most Pokémon RPGs and exaggerating them to make the game ridiculously difficult. The Nuzlocke Challenge did the same thing with a few of these in-game elements, but it left a bunch of them open for critique. That having been said, I think I've found a way to balance what was once stuffed under the category "Optional Nuzlocke Rules" and make them affect one another interchangeably.

Please enjoy my poorly-aligned images...

The Fugitive Challenge
    The Fugitive Challenge

See a pattern? =3

Now before you call me out saying I've fallen off the deep end, allow me to explain the situations that arise when abiding by this ruleset and how the game is still completely doable, even with these seemingly OP elements.

Please Note:

I tried to avoid these kinds of issues when I made this ruleset--and it's a shame that there's no answer to this problem--but you will need to use an emulator for this challenge. The biggest flaw in the Fugitive's structure is that one would most definitely run out of PP early on in the game. To accommodate this, you will have access to an infinite supply of ether (via cheats) usable ONLY when your move is completely out of PP.

While this may spoil the availability of the Fugitive off of the computer, taking into consideration the hardcore nature this challenge implies, I find this crutch to be justifiable.

Another important note, ALL TMs, HMs, BERRIES, AND ALL OTHER MART ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT BREAK ANY OF THE RULES BELOW. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

=

Rule I - Release Upon Fainting & No Pokémon Centers

The first rule of this pair is a parallel to the Nuzlocke. As for the second portion, this also goes for your mom, PCs, and any other forms of healing your Pokémon. The "no Pokécenters" rule goes into effect immediately upon exiting the second town.

Rule II -Three Move Cutt-Off

You are only allowed to use three moves for each Pokémon. Go to Rule VI for more details and answers to your questions.

Rule III -Whiting/Blacking Out = Mugged of All $ and Items

Whiting/Blacking out would normally mean Game Over according to the Nuzlocke, but there's a redeeming quality I added to this that may or may not be beneficial, depending upon your current situation. If you're too far into the game to give up so easily and you think you can handle the challenge, you are allowed one do-over after you lose a battle. BUT, you must act as if your opponent just robbed you... of everything: toss every item you had prior to that battle and head to the nearest PokéMart immediately to spend your remaining cash. After doing this, toss all of the purchased items. (Any items found along the way to the Mart do not need to be tossed; do your best to keep track.)

No items to sell, no money for potions... could you do it?

Rule IV - Avoid Getting Caught (Fight as Few Trainers as Possible)

Your ultimate goal in the Fugitive Challenge is going to be how low you can make your trainer count. This is the only rule in each game run-through that can fluctuate--a personal record, if you will. There is no given limit to how low your trainer count has to be, but remember that this will be the factor that dictates the quality of your performance. (My suggestion is to keep from focusing too much on this aspect until you get a feel for the challenge as a whole. Discover your hardest obstacles, learn to prepare in advance, work strategies, and don't you DARE waste your savings.)

Rule V - First Encounters Only

You may catch only the first Pokémon you see in a given area; same as the Nuzlocke.

Rule VI - Enemy Critical Hits = Special Stun

A lot of you are probably asking what Rule VI is about. Put simply, anytime one of your Pokémon that knows a total of four moves gets stricken with a critical hit, it is stunned for exactly four turns (excluding the turn you got hit). You can't use any attacks from your Choice Three, you may not heal any Pokémon, and you cannot call back your stunned Pokémon during these four turns. So what does this leave you with? This is where your unavoidable Fourth slot comes in. This is the ONLY time you are allowed to use this move and there are certain rules that you must abide by when deciding which move will be your "Pocket Fourth."

• The Pocket Fourth must be decided upon as soon as possible. This means that as soon as your Pokémon learns their fourth move, or immediately after you catch a Pokémon that already has four moves, you must make a choice--then and there--on which one of the current four moves will be your Fourth.

• You may not overwrite this move at any point during your run. The move you decided upon initially will be stuck with that Pokémon for the rest of the game.

Do what you can to make sure your pocket Fourth is viable. Choose wisely.

Rule VII -5 Pokéballs

You are allowed five Pokéballs, and only five. If one of them you throw doesn't catch a target, tough luck. Make sure you know you can catch what you're after before you start chucking s*** at it.

Rule VIII - No Legendaries

Pretty self-explanatory.

Rule IX - Lv. 55

This was one of the hardest decisions I made when analyzing this ruleset and I still don't really know if it should be applied or not. But until I get hard evidence showing this is too game-breaking (especially when grinding and with the huge limit associated with healing), it will have to stay. The reason being that if you get too cocksure and raise one Pokémon as if it were a solo run, or grind a high-level Pokémon in a low-level grassy area where you're guarenteed OHKOs on all of the wild, you essentially have a Lv. 100 Pokémon--if you were patient enough.

These situations break the underlying purpose of this challenge and cannot be tossed under the rug. I do not wish to recreate another Solo Challenge thread. The rules for the Lv. 55 limit are as follows:

• If a Pokémon reaches Lv. 56, they are to be either replaced with an egg of the convicted Pokémon's species. You are to re-level your partner starting from scratch.

• If you are playing through Generation 1, you must release the Pokémon and must purchase one Pokéball. Use the ball however you like.

=

Fugitive Challengers:

Spoiler:

Fugitive Champions:

Spoiler:

This challenge is not meant to be available for spinoff games (i.e. Colleseum, XD, etc.)

=Final Thoughts=

Please note that this challenge is meant to encourage high-level thinking. By no means is this challenge one that is made to be done over and over with certain Pokémon to add to your signatures. (In the least derogatory sense possible.) Bring out your most hardcore trainer skills, put your best foot forward, and plunge tooth-and-nail into a world completely devoted to finding and exterminating you.

Happy stealthing!

Last edited:

EB

Re: World
    Years
    Alright, added! =]

Let me know what you think; I'll be updating my results in this post over the next few days.

rew_s11

ERROR 404
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016
    in my opinion,Rule IX - Lv. 55 should be active only until you battle the first member of elite four(except johto games)

when battling elite 4,it is garanted that you will gain a few levels.So you are truly limited to level 53-54,not 55.

also for HG/SS,I think lv 55 isnt enough to beat red(lv 80s),not sure about this trought

not sure version game I will join

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    This sounds so awesome. I'm already doing a grinding challenge, but I think that's starting to lose its spark since almost no one even does it anymore. Oh well.

I'll sign up with this on Sapphire. And one quick question, we can still teach Pokemon moves right? As long as it doesn't override the fourth move?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've never been much for updates. It's a big deal, but I'm just so darn lazy. This challenge wasn't much of an exception. I finished though, and that's an accomplishment. With a combination of luck and "brains", I conquered Hoenn. Kinda.

And no screenshots! I've been using some new emulator for this, just in case I wanted to catch an Abra and evolve it. Which totally happened.

Spoiler:

I liked this challenge. It was really freaking hard and made me grind my teeth. I think it was a miracle that I didn't have a Pokemon faint, nor did I waste any Poke Balls. Zigzagoon saved my life thanks to Pick-up, and you really want a Pokemon with one. Otherwise, there isn't a steady supply of potions coming your way. PP shouldn't be a problem if you hack it in, as the challenge dictates, so I did well in that aspect.

EV training is practically a necessity. This also goes hand in hand with choosing the right Pokemon. I thought that you really wanted to kill all your opponents with a single hit, two on very few occasions. The Elite Four is tough. They'll out level you, and since I only had three Pokemon, it was difficult. Anyway, EV training really helps since you want two things: High Attack/Special Attack and Speed. Defense will drag you down. You do not ever want to get hit. Actually, that's just my playstyle so you can take those words like a grain of salt. I got OCD if one single HP bar mark was down and it annoyed me, adding on to the fact that I couldn't heal at a PC so I wasted a few potions making sure my Pokemon were at full HP.

The grinding limitation is decent, I guess. But this is just for RSE. The Elite Four is probably the lowest of the series, so the level jump isn't so big. My biggest level differential was a -4, and that was against Steven's level 58 Metagross on my level 54 Blaziken. You might want to raise the level cap at around 60ish, but that depends on the game. For GSC/HGSS, you might want to raise it higher for Red. Red has an 81, so combatting them with a 55 would take nothing short of a miracle, combined with EV training and some serious competitive battling on hand.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Planning is a big deal. Of course, since you can only catch the first Pokemon from each route, it's harder than it looks. Have backups. I thought that if I couldn't catch an Absol, I wanted a Medicham. It can learn Shadow Ball so I could easily counter the Elite Four. It never went down to that, but yeah. I really wanted an Aggron because it's a monster and its typing is great (for me anyway), but I got an Alakazam and that's a good substitute.

My singular update is getting ridiculously long and tedious. I'll experiment with a few other games so I might give back to the thread, but this challenge was fun. I might do Fire Red next, just to see the level cap differences.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
    Sly Cooper's Fugitive Run - Prologue

"A world out to kill me. Things are far different here in Hoenn. Team Magma teamed up with Team Rocket inKanto, so now there's them to deal with. Even worse, Team Aqua got involved, dispite the fact that they're still rivals with Team Magma. I will escape Hoenn. I will reach Kanto to stop Team Rocket. I am a master thief. I am known as Sly Cooper. With Professer Birch and my Treecko on myside, I'll sneak my way out of Hoenn, and I will take out Team Rocket. Hoenn Region, meet Sly Cooper, master thief on the run..."

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    Hey, this sounds kinda fun, I'll try it. I'm gonna do Pokemon emerald on the GBA (not VBA). Question, how am I supposed to heal my pokemons' PP with only like five Ethers/Elixirs in the whole game? They will get used. Oh, and I have no GameShark.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    Well, the thing with using the VBA is, my laptop is broken, and I can't download anything on either desktop. Am I allowed to ignore Rule #1, where it says no Pokemon Centers? I won't, like, spam Pokemon Center use, and I will still acknowledge the "Release upon Fainting" part, but I will need to use Pokemon Centers because I have no access the the VBA on my laptop. I will probly update in a few minutes. Anyway, cya!

EDIT: Here, I will start my quest. (Now I have to fix my signature)

Part 1:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They are coming for me. I am in the year 2020. Team Magma has started up again. Team Aqua, to which I am an ex-member of, is chasing me. Team Magma simply wishes to capture anyone who does not favor the Fire type. I favor the Water type. I call myself the Samu-Man, but my trusty Samurott was captured several years ago. I have not seen him since. I live in the small town of Littleroot. I was forced to leave five months ago. But, I had realized something. I have no Pokemon. Samurott was my only Pokemon. So, I have been planning a heist. I will attempt to steal ex-Professor Birch's last five Pokeballs, as Poke Marts have been banned, and a Pokemon from him as well, most likely a Mudkip. Luckily, I was successful in stealing the Pokemon at night. However, Team Magma saw me. They are following me as I speak. My fate, my entire life, lies in the hads of Mudkip and these five Pokeballs. I will defeat the Gym Leaders, whom have become Team Magma spies, in order to weaken Team Magma's defence. It is starting to get lighter. I must be on the run now.
    -Samu-Man

Last edited:

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    I'm not sure if we're supposed to update,so sorry about that.

Anyway, I finished emerald, with my final team being

Blaziken
    Wailord
    Linoone
    Manectric
    Venusaur(traded from leaf green)
    Gardevoir(traded from ruby)

Pokemon that died during the playthrough:

Camerupt
    Blastoise
    Lapras
    Snorlax