• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen the game that is complicated at the beginning

darkace

super dark elite kid
Years
  • I started over my game saying my pokemon sucked last time what will i pick. I think to my self and say Chimcar, Starly, and Buizel. I still think this line up sucks, what should i really do. I want my fellow members opinions.

:nervous: Isn't the game easy at first and hard at the end. Apparently not!!!

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • I think for beginners, you should start up with either Piplup or Turtwig... Since the first gym is Rock-type, it's best to have super effective types against them... Also, if you're using Piplup, catch a Starly so you can have no problems with your rival. If you're a Turtwig, catch another Pokemon you like (you can catch anything so you can use it against you're rival's Chimchar, just don't catch Budew!)... You can catch Budew if you already started with Chimchar, since it's got Absorb... Anyway, hope that helped :) ...

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    Just out of curiosity, how far through the game did you go before you restarted?
    Almost all Pokémon 'suck' in the beginning - it's not until they learn their better moves, and evolve later in the game that their worth really shows.

Infernape and Staraptor are very strong Pokémon. A Staraptor with Brave Bird hurts - A LOT. Floatzel is certainly a decent Pokémon too, with a good Speed and Attack.

Try and find a Gible when you get to the Wayward Cave this time, Garchomp will surely help you through your quest.

Also, another Pokémon to take into consideration is Drifblim. It could be handy for passing big HP Substitutes to your other team Pokémon, and Defence, Special Defence and Special attack boosts from Stockpile/Calm Mind.
    (you can find Drifloon at the Valley Windworks on Fridays)

But if this is single player battles, then anything is good if you train it up enough.

Last edited:

darkace

super dark elite kid
    Years
  • I have started over the game many times and beat it again. I just want to know because i might stop erasing since the legit darkai is coming out.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    If you've completed the game many times you should now how it starts easy and ends easy, advice really isnt needed. Just level up high and you can get through it.

Btw you either need to make that 2nd quiz or you owe me a prize.

A Loc BK

4425 1371 5707
    Years
  • I think for beginners, you should start up with either Piplup or Turtwig... Since the first gym is Rock-type, it's best to have super effective types against them...:) ...

In that case just pick any since they are all super effective to rock
    Water,Grass,Fighting

Also any pokemon can beat the game
    Beat E4 with just Torterra in Pearl
    Beat Game with the first 4 pokemon on my Trainer card thing, and as you can see they are pokemn you can get at the beggining

Mikoliah

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2012
    there is nothing wrong with starting with chimchar. i did and the game is very easy.. i had his fighting moves bu the time i went to the first gym.

"Dont use chimchar the first gym is rock" that is the dumbest thing ive ever herd.

thats like saying Dont use any pokemon there is a gym its weak to eventually.

Dont use piplap there is a fighting gym, a grass gym, and a lightning gym.

that is all nonsence, use what you want.. and btw in D/P i always pick chimchar. if you dont like having a weaker type pokemon maybe you just need to be a better trainer.

Back