• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gimmick of Motion Control in Video Games (Arctic Monkeys, Cyanide & Happiness, Kiwi!) [Daily Bloggity Entry #7]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • thumbnail-motion-controllers.jpg

Date: 28 February 2014
    Time: 2:53 PM ET
    Mood: Chilling out to LoZ: Wind Waker's OST :3

Video gaming has come a long way since the first video game was invented in 1958. From the Magnavox Odyssey - the first home video game console - to the current generation titan consoles of the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U, the quality of video games has exponentially improved via graphics, sound quality, and game content. Although I am not old enough to make this generalization, but I could only fathom what a gamer in the 80's would think if you told them that they would be able to play games in glorious 1080p with fellow gamers from all across the globe. You could say that thanks to the advancement of technology that video gaming is hitting the threshold of perfect gaming....well, you can almost say that.

Daily Music - "Snap Out Of It" by Arctic Monkeys
    Spoiler:

Over the last few years, I believe that game companies are starting to stray away from what made video games great to begin with. Because of the availability of technology over the past decade needed to produce a good quality game, companies have been frantically trying to discover something new and innovative to set themselves apart from the rest of the competition. Even in 2001, Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto noted this, stating: "The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction." This of course, was when consoles introduced what I like to call the "gimmicks" of video gaming.

Daily Comic - "Here is the church..." by Cyanide and Happiness
    Spoiler:

The quote above my Miyamoto was in reference to the reasoning and thought process of their choice to design an interactive console, which would later be formally known as the Nintendo Wii. The Wii, which capitalized on the idea of using motion control as it's backdrop, would end up becoming the second most sold console behind only the Playstation 2, Nintendo shipping over 100.90 million consoles worldwide. Why do we think that is? Because it was fresh and new; it was revolutionary to the gamer and it was a must-have. As a result, competing companies of Microsoft and Sony introduced the Kinect and Playstation Move to combat the Wii; by doing they so, they formally recognized that this was the direction that needed to be made. But in all honesty, it didn't need to be made.

Daily Video - "Kiwi!" by animator Madyeti47
    Spoiler:

I challenge someone to list off 10 games that successfully implemented the concept of motion control where you felt in control of the character. And I'm not talking about using the Nunchuck as a standard controller, but by actually making the motions with your arms and your character responds accordingly. Games such as Just Dance and Wii Sports come to mind, but other than that I cannot really think of games where you fele 1:1 with what was happening on the screen. I understand why they introduced motion control at the time, but I don't understand why it's a required thing (I'm looking directly at you now Microsoft)

The Xbox One is the prime example of forced gaming. As stated above, the Kinect was introduced to combat the Wii. In the Kinect's short life span though, it has had a very small catalog of games; considering the high cost it is to make games these days, publishers are hesitant in developing a game around something that could be a total bust. And even though sales have shown that the Kinect has not been as successful as they wished, they are still blinded by the ideology that the Kinect is going to pave the way into the future for the Xbox One. That, and coupled with the idea that video gaming is incorporating voice commands - I just don't need that. Give me a good ol'fashioned shoot em up any day over motion control.

*Side note: If anyone's curious as to the breakdown of the pricing between the PS4 and the Xbox One, the required Kinect is the reason why the One is $100 more than the PS4. Get rid of the Kinect, I'll get their console.

What is your opinion on motion control? Do you like it? What are your favorite games incorporating that? Do you think the Xbox One needs Kinect? Or do you think they should ditch it? Comment below what you think, I'd love to hear some of your answers!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro
    Spoiler:

Back