• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Great Nostalgia Thread

Years

• Happy Nostalgia'ing

Simple thread for a simple answer. What is the one game/s that make you really sit back and go 'Wow, those were the days...'
    It can be anything really, but for it to really be a nostalgia game, it should be AT LEAST a couple of years old, most likely going back to your early teen years/child hood.

You can talk about your experiences with this game/s, good and bad. How you felt when you played it and have you ever played it since? You can post pictures, gifs and/or videos, BUT PLEASE USE SPOILERS IF YOU DO.

Ps. Picture is from Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    [SIZE="a"]Pretty much the things I really enjoyed (though they're still going, and I'm only 13...)

Were Star Wars and Marvel super heroes. Still enjoy them. Can't wait for the Avengers next month.

Other than that....pretty much just Bakugan. That was my all time favorite game as a (younger) kid xD[/SIZE]

NatureKeeper

Don't look at me this way, I'm 14 and got interested in Pokemon at 7.

Years
  • I had some of the best times I've ever had in gaming with Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis, Wacky Races for the Dreamcast, Toy Commander for the Dreamcast, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the Dreamcast. Some great local multiplayer in all of these titles, especially Toy Commander. Battling it out with three friends was seriously fun. I still also play all these games to this day, and evens show new friends the glory that is Toy Commander.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Playing Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation... those were the days. The way I seen it, those games were the equivalent to Nintendo's Mario at the time. I literally spent hours upon hours sitting on my bedroom floor, glued to the TV screen.

It's been a very long time since I've last played any of those games, but hopefully that will change when I get a PlayStation 3 in the near future.

TY

Tiberian Sun was it for me, my dad bought it when i was 4, and let me play it..
    I fell in love on a single unit and the entire design:
    222856-61114769_super.jpg

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII.

When I look back on my childhood I remember my dad playing both those games with us watching, reading the text out loud to us and how he always pronounced Hyrule like he was insane and we thought it was great. And how he named different FFVII characters after family members (I was Tifa, my sister was Yuffie, my mom was Aeris), and I always wondered, since they got divorced a few years later, if my dad was trying to send a message by naming my mom after the character that died, lol. :(

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Although Chrono Trigger was my first game, I've posted that a lot on PC already, so I'll talk about some other gaming experience when I was younger

When I was a mere 5, my mum picked up a copy of Tales of Monkey Island for PC for me. I have so many fond memories of this game, and I loved the humour. This hit it for me.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • oh man. i'd have to say "final fantasy 9," hands down. it's one of the first few video games i've ever played EVER as a child. just hearing some of the music from its soundtrack can make me nostalgic.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    If I had to sum up my childhood into one game (outside of Pokemon) it'd have to be Legend of Mana. It's one of the first few games I actually played, instead of just watching someone else play it. I probably poured hundreds of hours into it. It has a vibrant art style, eccentric characters, and a really beautiful soundtrack that just hits me with nostalgia whenever I listen to it.

I wish I had a PS3 or a PSP so I could play through it again. Despite all my playthroughs, I never did manage to 100% it, haha.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • The Magic School Bus games on PC. They were so much fun and I had most of them at home so when we'd get to play them on the school PCs, I was so much better than everyone else at the minigames. >:D

Also, Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape up or Slip Out was my first point-and-click adventure game. I was about 3 or 4 when I would play it as a kid. I think my dad let me because I was so bad at it and I didn't understand any innuendo anyway that the most I could do was just wander around. xD; When I decided to replay it a few years ago, I was amazed that I was ever allowed to play it at all, but also realized just how many things went right over my head as a kid, haha.

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • Zeus: Master of Olympus and it's expansion pack Poseidon: Master of Atlantis, as well as RollerCoaster Tycoon 1+2. I remember playing them when I was around five years old and I didn't really have much understanding of what I was supposed to do, especially in Master of Olympus. But nonetheless they were very fun to play, from creating huge rollercoasters and rides to building towns and sanctuaries. There were a few bad times though, such as in RollerCoaster Tycoon, when nobody would visit my theme park (probably because I had set the prices for rides and such too high) and when rollercoasters crashed. Then in Master of Olympus, when Gods and monsters attacked my towns, and natural disasters occurred. That reminds me, I had once built a fantastic city in Master of Olympus. I was so pleased with it - when suddenly, several tidal waves came out of nowhere and completely destroyed everything. I was so devastated. Though if I remember correctly, the episode was called, "The Sinking of Atlantis" so I should have expected it.

I've played a bit of Master of Olympus since then. I really like the music and the art (although it looks pretty rubbish and outdated compared to today's standard).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The Magic School Bus games on PC. They were so much fun and I had most of them at home so when we'd get to play them on the school PCs, I was so much better than everyone else at the minigames. >:D
    OH! MY! GOD!
    I'd completely forgotten about those games but now the memories are all flooding back! Along with the Nickelodeon Movie Maker (also for PC), they were probably the first video games I properly owned. Now I'm feeling all wistful for a bygone age... sigh!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Tiberian Sun was it for me, my dad bought it when i was 4, and let me play it..
    I fell in love on a single unit and the entire design:
    222856-61114769_super.jpg

Haha, Titan "Camel" walkers. Hell yes. It's a great design, althouth I always prefered the MRLS for its superior speed.

Anyway, this game has always been one of my favorites. It's from... 1999 if I remember right. Its a mech fps, with numerous mechs to choose from and even more numerous customizations. Here some pictures. (Long descriptions so my comments about them are spoiled.)

51ZK87GT7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spoiler:

hg2006.jpg

Spoiler:

Only bad thing is that the control configuration for this game is pretty much the control configuration from hell. Complex as ****, and its very hard to repoint one control since you'd proably have to repoint something else to prevent control conflicts. Just to show how many keys are used, all of the important movement controls are on the numpad.

I'm kinda depressed though. It's a great game, but it refuses to run in win7.

Last edited:

Sonicfan9988

Sonic, Hilda & Rosa! ♥
    Years
  • I have fond memories of playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my sisters Sega Genesis. It was the first Sonic game that I have ever played and when I was 4, I managed to get all 7 Chaos Emeralds! Everytime I listen to the songs from that game on my phone, I remember all of the fun that i've had playing what is in my opinion the best Sonic game ever, and I have been a big Sonic fan ever since =D!!

xdom

Jaguar Skills
    Years
  • first game i owend was final fantasy 1 for the NES nobody else had it and thaught it was stupid but that game was awesome i stayed up when i was 10 for hours playing it and i would fall asleep with the contoller in my hand on the floor in the living room looking at me person on the world map and graping a waffle eat it and keep on playing it till lunch then took a break then started playing again lol i have played that game with every possiable combnation of heros you could have it was awesome!

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    The first few games I got to play were Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Mario 64 (I guess Starfox 64 too but I sucked at it). I was 3-4. But my favorite was Banjo-Kazooie! I played the heck out of that game and it sequel.

Also Pokemon Silver/Gold when I was 6-7 and Tales of Symphonia when I was 10. Symphonia is my favorite game to this day.

..Actually, I feel like I have a lot of nostalgic feelings for every game I've played in the past ._. Every game has some kind of memory attached to it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • 250px-Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

Sorry guys. I win this thread and you know it.

Who knew such a classic game was addicting and fun...
    Well, let's call it a tie then?

Super Mario Bros. was my first game. I will always remain partial to the series. I was deep into Mario Mania in the early '90s. XD I watched the cartoon show, I still love the movie (sue me), I would draw Mario characters and creatures all the time, started a Super Mario Bros. club at school, had a Mario birthday cake one year, etc.

Back