• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
Years
  • https://www.hsperson.com

I've always considered myself to be highly sensitive, not just emotionally, but rather to the environment. I'm always the first amongst my group of friends to notice certain things, and I absolutely hate to be around loud noises. Also, it seems that different cultures react differently to those who are more sensitive, which I find rather interesting. Western cultures refer to HSP's as being "overly shy" or "timid", so it makes people feel like there's something wrong with them, which I don't think is fair.

So, do you consider yourself highly sensitive? Do you try to hide your sensitivity from others so as to seem "normal"? Are there certain things you are more sensitive to than other people? What is your opinion on how the world views more sensitive individuals?

Discuss! ^^

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    At what point is every personality trait some kind of disorder or labelled "thing"? This kind of reminds me of how it's so standard to talk about how your introversion is so special online. You have a personality. Logically, since there are endless categories of personality, less than a majority of people will share that trait. Ta da, you're special!

For the record, I do match the signs. I just also think it's dumb.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • At what point is every personality trait some kind of disorder or labelled "thing"? This kind of reminds me of how it's so standard to talk about how your introversion is so special online. You have a personality. Logically, since there are endless categories of personality, less than a majority of people will share that trait. Ta da, you're special!

For the record, I do match the signs. I just also think it's dumb.

^this, all of my this.

Find me someone that enjoys listening to sirens and having ridiculously overwhelming bright lights shoved in their face and I assure you, they're a minority. Do I want to make my life easier by avoiding needless conflicts/upsetting people? Well, obviously. Give me 5 hours work in 2 hours and I'll get mad about it, and again, some peace and quiet from the world is not a bad thing.

I would not say I'm a HIGHLY SENSITIVE HANDLE WITH CARE I'M SO DELICATE LOOK AT ME I HAVE A DISORDER I'M SPECIAL NOW person though even if I do strike a chord with 14 of those boxes which apparently would mean I am Highly Sensitive. It's silly. I'm just someone who can appreciate a peaceful, pleasant and smoothly ran day. And understandably, I'm someone that's going to be annoyed by things that obstruct that. It's all a marketing scheme to get her books selling to people.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Find me someone that enjoys listening to sirens and having ridiculously overwhelming bright lights shoved in their face and I assure you, they're a minority.

I thought it meant that they couldn't stand bright light. Or maybe it's just me translating it wrong in my head. :/

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit too sensitive when it comes to my senses. I mean, I couldn't stand bright light even though others said it's not that bright. I couldn't stand having ridiculously loud audio blasted into my eardrums, which is why I tend to cover my ears whenever I'm in some sort of concert in order to dampen the loud audio. My headphones never went past 40% during quiet times, and only made it barely louder than the already loud surrounding when needed. And honestly, if you ever try to scold me by shouting to me, I would definitely cry because I really can't stand loud noises.

Maybe I really am HSP...

It's not exactly something stupid though. As stated in the website in the first post, sometimes there are places where being too sensitive is bad, which I have to deal with my whole life, both in physical and mental terms. And honestly... no matter how many times people tell me to stop being too sensitive, I can't.

There's being observant to the surroundings, and there's being observant to every single leaf on a tree. It's different.

But all in all, I really don't think both sides are any different. Maybe being overly sensitive makes people think you're some sort of delicate glass, but I personally don't like it if people do treat me that way. It's annoying, and I think normal people think the same.

btw I suck at making a point so disregard my rambling

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The only thing that my body's highly sensitive to is the heat & humidity. In truth, heat by itself isn't bad at all, but if it's both hot & humid...

The Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

There's a reason why I disdain summer, & that would be it.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't even have to take the test. I know I am quite hypersensitive to my environment, especially when it comes to my anxiety. I don't like unexpected touch and I also don't like loud noises. I also don't like the heat either. I have to be really cold in order to survive. DX

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I thought it meant that they couldn't stand bright light. Or maybe it's just me translating it wrong in my head. :/

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit too sensitive when it comes to my senses. I mean, I couldn't stand bright light even though others said it's not that bright. I couldn't stand having ridiculously loud audio blasted into my eardrums, which is why I tend to cover my ears whenever I'm in some sort of concert in order to dampen the loud audio. My headphones never went past 40% during quiet times, and only made it barely louder than the already loud surrounding when needed. And honestly, if you ever try to scold me by shouting to me, I would definitely cry because I really can't stand loud noises.

Maybe I really am HSP...

It's not exactly something stupid though. As stated in the website in the first post, sometimes there are places where being too sensitive is bad, which I have to deal with my whole life, both in physical and mental terms. And honestly... no matter how many times people tell me to stop being too sensitive, I can't.

There's being observant to the surroundings, and there's being observant to every single leaf on a tree. It's different.

But all in all, I really don't think both sides are any different. Maybe being overly sensitive makes people think you're some sort of delicate glass, but I personally don't like it if people do treat me that way. It's annoying, and I think normal people think the same.

btw I suck at making a point so disregard my rambling

I'm on my phone so I can't quote each part individually to respond but the point he was making with loud noises isn't that HSPs need them, but that most everyone reacts badly to bright lights in their face and sirens, so setting those as signs you match this super-special group that has to be handled in special ways is silly. Sirens are DESIGNED to overwhelm our senses so we notice them and get out of the way.

No one's saying that the signs themselves are stupid, but that slapping a label on it and defining yourself by it is stupid, especially if you then expect the world to recognize that label and read articles on how to "handle" you as if your inner self is so incredibly unique that people can't interact with you without coaching.

No one denies that there are people that can't handle strong smells, but the "signs" of this thing are beyond stupid. Everyone has a complex inner life. Everyone enjoys nice scents. Everyone is stressed when they have a lot to do in not much time. Everyone takes their own comfort level into consideration when planning their days. People who do these things are not misunderstood and don't need a support network that teaches people about their specialness.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    No I would not say I'm a highly sensitive person. Yeah I'm shy and can be timid, but what was listed as being hsp doesn't fit me. Honestly the only thing I've found strange about my shyness and that was also listed here is how uncomfortable I get in a very loud situation. Like a passing loud siren doesn't bother me, but a loud event or just loud things going on around me for an amount of time make me very tense and irked. I just figure I'm annoyed really.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • No one's saying that the signs themselves are stupid, but that slapping a label on it and defining yourself by it is stupid, especially if you then expect the world to recognize that label and read articles on how to "handle" you as if your inner self is so incredibly unique that people can't interact with you without coaching.

Oh, okay. I can see your point there.

I guess society has dwindled to the point that even the most normal out of all things are considered a disorder. :|

Years
  • Just curious -- is the whole concept or term of the the HSP an accepted medical condition?

No, it is not.

I have the sensitivty of a tank running over a bed of flowers. Although I do have sensory integration disorder, which basically means that my senses are overamplified and things like well-lit libraries give me anxiety and are a bit unpleasant. I learned to ignore it and deal with it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Depends on your definition of sensitivity. I'm not easily offended, and I'm oblivious to my surroundings in most cases, but I'm much more emotionally sensitive than most, as in I care about other creatures, and get upset if they're being hurt. I'm a vegetarian for this reason, and won't kill anything intentionally, even bugs. (Germs are an exception. lol)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    I notice everything but usually it does not affect me positively nor negatively, I use it to my advantage. Sometimes being around people can be exhausting but overall its more amusing than anything else.

Back