• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the importance of learning history

Future Arceus

I hate my name
    Years
    That's just stated as a reason not to tell someone something, usually, and can end up backfiring. And, no you wouldn't be better off, as envy and greed are natural human traits that an education/history lesson is needed to teach one how to control them.

AH, but we have not quite learned how to control them. But it was a figure from man's past that first became greedy and envious. Also.... we think we know some history, but we may very well be wrong. once again history is written by the victors, and the losers get envious. I believe in education, but not the spread of our mistakes in history. By the way I would like to thank you very much for actually responding to my argument and not ignoring it. It means my argument was worth listening to if you are able to dissect and pick it apart!

Years
    AH, but we have not quite learned how to control them. But it was a figure from man's past that first became greedy and envious. Also.... we think we know some history, but we may very well be wrong. once again history is written by the victors, and the losers get envious. I believe in education, but not the spread of our mistakes in history. By the way I would like to thank you very much for actually responding to my argument and not ignoring it. It means my argument was worth listening to if you are able to dissect and pick it apart!

I'd argue that we have considering that we have a general environmentally-learned respect for others pervasive in many cultures.

Future Arceus

I hate my name
    Years
    okay than...you make a very compelling argument and i hav nothing left to say.

u win.......for now... :P

was fun and i do love other chat!

(im srry for this spammed up post!)

Years
    there is nothing Stupid, Pointless, or Annoying about his Message. it's totally relevant and i believe necessary to this thread. there are a ton of people like this person who find the study of history totally worthless, so let's make a goal for this thread- to spread enlightenment.

with a certain level of historical comprehension your entire world perspective is built; history is not only a knowledge-building entity but a character-developing one. i know memorizing a few numbers and events doesn't seem useful to you, but allowing yourself to feel some degree of appreciation for the past and what you can learn from it will take away the notion that history is some personally irrelevant assignment and replace it with the understanding that history a tool for guidance. reflecting on the past is healthy- to the individual, the nation, and the world. the more you reflect on the past, the more likely you are to avoid heavily consequential blunders.

Walking into a thread dedicated to History and bluntly saying it's irrelevant would classify as annoying. And as Don, You, And I said, look back through the posts in the thread, read and understand them, and Enlightment you will find. Which I'm glad he did. I just think it could have been worded/posted a tad better.

Years
    um...should i just delete my post to avoid future arguments? im actually srry on that little bit of spam. tho i do not believe learning history is entirely good, i don't think against it now either...

No it's alright, something good came out of it and it allowed us a chance to teach. :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Guys, back on topic. This isn't overly relevant to the thread anymore and if you need to continue this... bring it to VMs or something. @_@

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    My favorite subject is history. I think it is important because you learn about your country.

Years
    History gets written by the victor. (b'-')b
    Then how come the American Confederacy is still viewed quite positively by many people nowadays? Objectively, I don't think history can be altered if the historian actually does his job correctly. Otherwise, it's merely the wording of history that makes this quote true.

Anywho, I think that it's very important for people of any age to learn about history, if only for the sake of avoiding mistakes made in the past and to give respect to those who've made life much easier in the future at their own expense. Learning about history also gives a person a more comprehensive view of the world instead of the narrow-minded one which will inevitably result from a lack of historical knowledge.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Like donnie said, it'd be better as an elective, but its good to know so everyone knows what mistakes we made in the past and to not repeat it.

Years
    If you try and have a conversation with someone who doesn't know alot about history, then, chances are they won't know alot of information about current events and so on. This makes this person so boring it is painful.

History should be known by everyone to an extent, too which that individual can peruse it in greater depth. I find it shocking that some people don't even know about their own country wars. When they started and finished. Who led the crusade and so on.

Most people just take what the media says like the law. Anyone who can't think with their own mind, shouldn't be allowed to participate in anything that requires thinking. The media is there to scare us and to make us conform to what the government wants us to do. If people can't see this, then I pity you.

tl;dr version: History is important, if you don't think so, go away.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2010

i dont believe that most people learn from their mistakes (we still have wars and we still kill people)
    (im srry if i made a fool out of myself or annoyed anyone)

Wars happen for different reasons. I'm pretty sure something like the holocaust won't happen any time soon.
    People kill people for different reasons as well. Learning history doesn't necessarily mean learning the mistakes and not making them in the future.
    Learning about our heritage, how we got here, who built the nation, etc.
    I don't think that stuff is useless, some of it is pretty interesting. Learning history is important.

Trish

He was dead the whole time!
    Years
    To me, learning History is very important in that you learn that people strived and spilled blood to free the country against outsiders. IMO, it's selfish that these heroes are to be ignored. It is because of them that we are here, free of oppression, living in freedom.

Last edited:
    Years
    As someone else said, it should be an elective class. There is no reason for us to know that Benedict Arnold was a traitor other than to know what the term "your a Benedict Arnold" means the thing is that there is so much history to learn. It's maid more as an intresting class (like science) then a required class.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    As someone else said, it should be an elective class. There is no reason for us to know that Benedict Arnold was a traitor other than to know what the term "your a Benedict Arnold" means the thing is that there is so much history to learn. It's maid more as an intresting class (like science) then a required class.

i'd hope minor facts about one person isn't all you're learning in history >~> i think if teachers were to put more emphasis on the depth of subjects like science and history rather than only presenting the facts, students wouldn't look at these subjects as an assignment but an interesting necessity. if history was an elective course, would you take it? don't you think that your perspective would be totally different if you were never presented any knowledge about the history of the world ?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Ugh ew gross History. Hate Hate Hate Hate. Its the most boring and uninteresting subject I will ever take. Plus, you learn about it and then forget it 2 weeks after. Boring, and I have never learned any of these life lessons and crap from history ever. Gosh I really do not care if Cleopatra knocked up Caesar or whatever the crap happened get me out of this class ;____;

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    To me, learning History is very important in that you learn that people strived and spilled blood to free the country against outsiders. IMO, it's selfish that these heroes are to be ignored. It is because of them that we are here, free of oppression, living in freedom.
    Ignored? Really? The people that fought in the wars are honoured quite often, if I say so myself.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Gah, the wonders of history...

I absolutely adore history. It's amazing. I can't ever understand how people can find it boring. But of course, I guess it all depends on someone's personality. Some people just like learning about that stuff.

Last year I took World History and it was my favorite class. I loved it so much, it's so depressing to be in Civics this year. T_T I just love learning about life back in the day and how everything shaped how our society is today~ My love sudden love for history may have come from my history teacher who was full of epic. Just by the way he taught, you could tell how much passion he had for the subject.
    ... That and my cousin and I have wonderful conversations about history, as he is studying to be a history teacher and only has 1 more year before he graduates from college! :D

Sometimes a love or hate for a subject depends on what type of teacher that you have. I've never really had a great math teacher so I've never had a love for it. I only know that when once in 7th grade when I had a good pre-algebra teacher, that I semi-liked the subject, as I had a better understanding of it because the teacher taught it well.

But mostly it's just that (let me repeat a quote already mentioned in this thread), "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I feel that history is just as important as math and science and english and all of that other stuff. History is not just cramming dates into your head (my teachers rarely made us know specific dates). History is so much more than that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    have you ever thought that the history repeat itself? even in our modern world, some part of history are occurring again

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    I happen to be a bit of a history buff myself. I find it very interesting because it gives a huge amount of insight into how and why a particular event happened and it feels really good to know the truth. There's also the fact that it does tend to repeat itself a lot and by looking into the past, you could have a much greater understanding of what is happening in the present.

Zemu

Years
    The importance of history, be it religion, politics, society, or discoveries, gives us explanations to certain events from our past. These explanations build a relationship between us back then and us now. We need to learn from previous experiences or actions that may have lead us to the point we are in now.

History, like most here have already stated, repeats and will repeat itself: we will always have power-hungry people, a corrupted or tyrannical regime, opposing doctrines and dogmas, wars, new discoveries, and the such. It keeps on passing from generation to generation, shaping the next. Well, that's how I see it, anyway.

Back