• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kanto Project [Video]

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    The Kanto Project

What is this?
    This poorly titled project is my alternative to game making when I realized that I couldn't get custom enough with rom hacking and noticed that not one successful CBS had been completed (at least at the time, not sure about now) for RM2K3/XP. This was discouraging and I decided I would find something to create in the Pokémon universe. Finally I decided that making a little video series of the Kanto Season using sprites would be fun. This is the intro from Pokémon 1st Season.

How long did this take?
    Since about 2006 summer time, I took a little time here and there to work on this project I said I would do long ago. Well finally, I've completed the hardest part of it. The credits will be very hard to compile as I used many sources (with permission). There's over 700 frames of animation that took me well over 50 hours to complete. I'd guess around 64ish. I know that I had racked up about 32 at around 28 seconds. It would've been completed sooner but school kept me busy and I often used free time for things other than this.

Only a minute long... Is this it?
    My plan is to continue doing little videos, however they will be released more often than annually. I'd guess around once every few weeks if I find time to work on it. It really isn't too time consuming and my only future plans are to create the basic story of season one by taking the key points, throwing in a bit of text, and so on. Depending on how it goes, I may fit anywhere from 1 to 10 episodes into one little video. The best bet on that is 3-4 though per video. Also, depending on if I can find/make the sprites, I may skip some episodes.

Credits(abc order)
    Idea - Barry
    Inspiration - Nintendo and Love
    Sprites - Barry, Kyledove, Nintendo, Pokésho
    Sprite Animation - Barry, Kyledove, Nintendo
    Video Animation - Barry
    Backgrounds - Atari, Barry, Kyledove, Nintendo
    Music - ...Duh....
    Special Thanks - Nintendo for creating Pokémon
    Very Special Thanks - Kyledove

Final Notes
    As short as that credits list is, it feels like I'm forgetting something. If I forgot anything important, let me know. We can't be perfect so I'm open to what you have to say about.
    Should you choose to watch this video, thank you for considering it. I've worked very hard on it, and practically, in some cases, pleaded for Kyle's help.

This post will look best with the Winter Friends layout.

Ok, ok, just let me download this!
    [DOWNLOAD DIVX - 14.8mb] You need this to watch it. If you have downloaded it and it says you can't load a codec, that is because divx is the codec you need. It's 100% free.
    [DOWNLOAD KANTO PROJECT - 10.5mb] Please right click and save for the video because if you just click it, it will play in full screen which is bad quality because it's stretching it from the original size (256x192 - DS screen size).

Last edited:
    Years
    You might want to make the water the same resolution as the sprites.

But that aside, it looks good. It will be interesting to see the first season of Pokémon in sprite form.

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    You might want to make the water the same resolution as the sprites.
    Believe it or not, when you see that same shot in the video moving with fluid animation, it actually looks great.

Last edited:

Shadez

-
    Years
    i thought of that idea put i wasn't sure how to make it
    is it me or is the video now only the opening song

Last edited:

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    celebi6 said:
    is it me or is the video now only the opening song
    Yes, it is just the opening song. Considering that I am the only one that actually worked on the video part of it, that's why it took so long. On intros like the actual Pokemon intro, they had a full team of people working. If this were a full team project, it would've taken probably more like a couple of weeks for the intro. Your question is why my first post says "Only a minute long... Is this it?" because I was anticipating that someone would say that. So if you didn't happen to read that, it should answer your question of why it's only the intro.

celebi6 said:
    i thought of that idea put i wasn't sure how to make it
    I've always loved Kanto and the first season of Pokemon but wasn't sure what to do with it. This idea flashed back and forth over the past several years. I originally made a topic called The Series in game development back in 2005. This turned into a video project when .. as I said in the first post, a CBS had never been successfully completed at that time in RM2K3/XP and Rom Hacking didn't allow for custom sprites without know how to code in Hex (at that time).

Back