• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Legendaries

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    Do you think they should slow down on making so many legendaries? While I'm not trying to be 'that guy', it seems that the term legendary had more of a meaning, but now, there are so many "mystical Pokemon" running around, that it is breaking the willing suspension of belief for me. I mean seriously, I believe they are making WAYYYY too many. What do you guys think?

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
    Years
    Well, some of the so called "legendary" pokemon aren't actually as legendary as they seem. ex: Articuno (according to the anime). Also, there are a certain amount of legendary pokemon per region, many of them do not travel.

So in my opinion, there isn't too much of an overabundance. My opinion may differ after the next set of generation 5 legionaries are released.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]I don't really know honestly, I agree that the line between legendary and super rare Pokemon has become really really blurred, however, the "legendary" Pokemon are region specific, but I feel that the term legendary should be tossed out, considering that there are so many throughout the game itself.[/SIZE]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Many of the legendaries we have so far I wouldn't even call legendary but rather just incredibly rare pokemon.

Keep in mind that in Japan there are categories of legendaries. There are literally legendary Pokemon, that figure prominently in legends (think Kyogre/Groudon, or Reshiram/Zekrom). Then there are illusory Pokemon, such as Mew, that are very rare (to the point that people question they exist), but that's all. And then there are the fourth generation mythical Pokemon.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well I always thought gen IV just added wayyy to many. Heatran is the LAST legendary Pokémon I'd actually call a legendary. He can even have a gender, to me he's about as legendary as the Drifloon that appears every Friday in the Valley Windworks lmao.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Out of 649 Pokemon, only 47 are Legendary. That's not many.
    It's not many on an absolute scale, but it is a statistically significant number: 7.2% of all Pokemon are considered 'legendary'. To me, that seems like a lot, and I do wish that there would be fewer legendaries 'created' as time goes on. If nothing else, if there are fewer legendaries being created, each one will have a greater air of mystery about it, apart from being just another Pokemon to be given out at an event and then forgotten about, or to have a movie based around it and then forgotten about or something similar.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen yesterday
    It's not many on an absolute scale, but it is a statistically significant number: 7.2% of all Pokemon are considered 'legendary'. To me, that seems like a lot, and I do wish that there would be fewer legendaries 'created' as time goes on. If nothing else, if there are fewer legendaries being created, each one will have a greater air of mystery about it, apart from being just another Pokemon to be given out at an event and then forgotten about, or to have a movie based around it and then forgotten about or something similar.

Also gen IV added way too many legendaries. If I'm correct, Hope my counting skills doesn't fail, there are 14 legendaries introduced in ge, IV which is 29,79% of all legendaries are from gen IV. Gen IV added way too many.
    Personlly I think they should just add the amount of the 3th gen added with each upcoming gen..

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Out of 649 Pokemon, only 47 are Legendary. That's not many.
    If you consider evolution families, the figure comes to 14.3% of all families contain legendary Pokémon (47/329). That's a lot.

If it was only the case that legendary Pokémon were said to have special powers, or even better just be very rare, then that'd be fine. But no, nearly all of them are near godlike and literally have whatever insane powers they're said to have.

The real answer as to why there are so many legendary Pokémon is, of course, because Nintendo then has that many special promos to do with as they please (event Pokémon, make movies out of them, etc.). And they've gotta be special because of that, right? Who wants a boring old non-legendary?

From a realism perspective (which I tend to prefer in a Pokémon world), many more Pokémon would have legends and tales about them (like Shedinja's back hole and tugging on Ninetales' tail), but no Pokémon would literally have such ridiculous abilities as time travel or wish-granting or space-time creation. They would be powerful, certainly, but that's a completely different thing to the godlike abilities Game Freak insist on giving them.

In summary, I can see why Nintendo make so many legendaries, and am fine with it (so long as it doesn't get out of hand), and I just ignore the godlike aspects given to them and treat them as nothing more than rare and powerful animals.

Also gen IV added way too many legendaries. If I'm correct, Hope my counting skills doesn't fail, there are 14 legendaries introduced in ge, IV which is 29,79% of all legendaries are from gen IV. Gen IV added way too many.
    Personlly I think they should just add the amount of the 3th gen added with each upcoming gen..
    Gens 4 and 5 both have 13 legendaries in them (Phione apparently isn't one). However, Gen 4 only introduced 45 new families of Pokémon (of which 13 were the legendaries; the rest of the Pokémon added were additions to existing families), which is probably why it feels so excessive. In comparison, Gen 5 has over 80 new families, more than even the 70-odd of Gen 1.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I personally agree that the games need to slow down on the Legends. I actually would not mind seeing the games reintroduce older Legendary pokemon with new purposes and story relevance instead of having to constantly create new ones all the time. I would rather they take Older Legendary pokemon and make them FEEL like their Legendary instead of making brand new ones and just slapping a Legendary label on them.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't really mind legendaries at all. To me, they're just another goal, or an obstacle until I complete the game. Like Maruno said, I only treat them as rare and powerful Pokemon. Besides, I'd rather have too many legendaries than too few.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Limping the Pokemon into families isn't fair. All that does is exaggerate the issue. The Eevee family is made of 8 Pokemon, but 7 of those are fully evolved. See?

How many Rattata or Pidgey can you find in a game? Endless. Regardless of how many Pokemon are considered Legendary, there are still only 1 of each in each game. And people who don't get the events wont even have some of those Pokemon.

However, GF isn't going to over do it with Legends. I doubt we'll see a Gen with 20 new Legendary Pokemon, unless of course the grand total of Pokemon introduced was around 200 or higher.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    legends

i personally think that legendary pokemon is something you come across in the regular grass. but i love how hard it is to find them.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It would be interesting if you could actually find certain legendaries in that way but with a 1 in 1000 chance of meeting one in any given location.
    That'll be the roaming legendaries, then.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well, that wouldn't exactly be roaming since you can see where they are and it's not a 1/1000 chance of encountering them either.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    If it was only the case that legendary Pokémon were said to have special powers, or even better just be very rare, then that'd be fine. But no, nearly all of them are near godlike and literally have whatever insane powers they're said to have.
    Well if you look at it that way, almost every civilization (especially the Greeks) had about a thousand gods, all with their own super powers. They were still worshipped with as much awe and splendor or whatever as any other religion to have ever existed, with like the temples and stuff.

Now, in the 21st century we have like 47 or something "gods" and now we're already starting to question their legitimacy. Although they are definitely starting to get lamer as there are just so many of them. .

js

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I don't really mind the amount of Legendary Pokemon in game, they all have some part to play in the Pokemon World (Groudon creating land, Dialga master of time, etc.) However, some Pokemon I think, shoudn't even be considered legendary.
    A legendary to me is a Pokemon with such enormous power (not regarding it base stat total). An example would be Arceus, who created Dialga, Palkia, Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit which are all considered Legendary by me as well.
    Pokemon such as Heatran, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, aren't so 'Legendary' I mean what great Power do they possess that has earned them to be considered a legendary? It dosen't suit them in my opinion, I treat them as incredibly rare and strong Pokemon.

Back