• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The logic side of Surf and Fly.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    I was playing Pokemon Emerald the other day when it suddenly popped in my mind. Pidgey is so darn small, still we must believe that it can carry a teenager trought the air by using the move Fly?
    Same with Surf. How the hell can a Horsea sail you throught the water? With Lapras, Blastoise, Feraligator it is possible but really....

Lihinel

so what?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2008
    Ever heard of something called Game Mechanics?

Logic is death, and btw, have you ever had your way blocked by a small stone or something like that or illuminated a cave for several hours by just using a light for like 4 seconds?
    And even Doduo can use fly. (at least at R/B/Y if i remember right)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Pokemon are magical in that aspect. o.o Things won't always make complete sense. Yet if they made a game that took everything like that into consideration, it would be very realistic and perhaps not so Pokemon-ish.

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    Well I guess you could hold on to one of pidgeys legs as he carried you, and as for surf horsea could be the same concept and drag you across the water and keep you afloat. Only logic I could think of.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Well I guess you could hold on to one of pidgeys legs as he carried you, and as for surf horsea could be the same concept and drag you across the water and keep you afloat. Only logic I could think of.

Yes, Horsea would make sense, but yet Pidgey would need a lot of strength to be able to carry you while you hung on it's leg. It makes sense, but it doesn't at the same time :/

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Just like Rivvon said its all about Magic, like how can a fish that lives in the pond shoot a beam from there mouth *points to goldeen* Yea but I see what you are saying

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Athena

Untitled.
    Years
  • Haha that is so funny. I actually was talking to a friend about this the other day. XDD We just rationalized it as the pokemon are RLY strong. xD; Or something. *cackles*

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    How about using them in (link) battle?
    Whereever we fight, you can use fly (even in dive), dive/surf(in cave/grass), dig (while surfing)

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    It indeed would be a little stupid that you need a big pokemon already to use surf or fly. Indeed Pokemon is quite unlogic or to put it better, Logic in it's own way.
    Althought this again proves the difference between te Pokemon games, and the Pokemon Animé.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Ha! lol. I made a thread for this last year. xD

Same Idea popped in my mine.
    I guess it's mainly a plothole, or as most say: the magic of Pokemon Games.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Let me see if I got this straight. You're looking for logic in a world where living beings can be captured in small balls of plastic which also turn them into completely obedient servants. Oh, and of course both living beings and objects can be broken down to data and reassembled perfectly and a ledge - no matter how small - is an impassable obstacle. Yeah, we're obviously dealing with a world of complete and all-consuming logic. :P

It's just game mechanics, plain and simple, logical or no.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • things doesnt really make sense anymore
    and its almost impossible for you to heard domeone thinking logicaly
    its just like this question:"Which came first the chicken or the egg?"

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • And even Doduo can use fly. (at least at R/B/Y if i remember right)
    It's actually wire-action, like in those old Kung-Fu movies.

The logic side of Surf and Fly.

SilverDragon

--Anime Fan--
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2009
    Lol a pidgy is too small to fly a teenager to places but once it evolves, it's a whole 'nother story.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Heh, I don't have to watch the anime to know that there won't be a Flying Doduo anytime soon. And also, in the anime, I don't believe any of the smaller birds were used for flight. Ash just rode his Pidgeot after it evolved(Charizard too, but Charmeleon didn't have wings =P).

But if you think a Flying Doduo is scary, how about all those Pokemon who can get it via Metronome? I remember, on Pokemon Stadium 2, seeing a Togepi take flight. It was hilarious to say the least, XD.

Back