• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Lone Hacker?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    I am very interested in making a hack, but I never done one. One of my problems though is that programs used for it does not work on my laptop.

In my opinion, I would rather have some help, but that is just me.

I noticed that Im having alot of those problems too with my own laptop but what I found out that these programs do work and are pretty much all you need, their also the easyest ones to figure out,

They are: AdvanceMap 1.92, unLZ.GBA, A-Starter, OverworldE-RE, Item Editor, Start Map, YAPE, Tile Layer Pro *aka TLP*, and PokeCryGUI

Also I havnt figured out the Spriting programs but these ones work also: Elite Map Scripted and XSE

there are some other smaller programs that work but they did the same thing as the ones above and those above where easyer to figure out.

Hope I helped you some!

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I usually hack alone. but thats because im not putin anything completely unique into my hack. im limiting myself by the programming that nintendo/game freak did for me XD. but i would have no problem in a team though. but most of my hacks are just: personal starters/trainers/obstacle convinience (like my avatar+Eevee as a starter and deleting all HM spots)

DarkPrince304

Back to Hacking after exams!!!
    Years
  • Hacking Alone FTW!
    If I knew how to insert Sprites(Both O/W and battle ones) then I would be continuing my hack alone...But I can't that's the problem...Making Team raises ego of people...People only join a team if they are very much experienced and brag about themselves...They say they won't work just because we are new to hacking...I hate this stuff!!!
    Just if I knew how to insert O/W sprites I would be doing my hack alone..But help is also needed sometimes...All people on my team are good but

Years
  • I am pretty new here, but I have always worked alone, maybe with one other person who really is just someone to test stuff or debug help with me. This goes for all the languages I perform in (RUBY, PHP, C++,C#, etc).

And from reading team threads they seem more like mini-clubs who really just talk about ideas, but it seems that individuals work on separate personal hacks.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • I prefer working alone.
    Well, other than Spriters and much complex stuffs.

We may have ideas that do not click and may not fit the goal and theme for the game.

TheWicked

Pogi ako!
    Years
  • Hmm,i started my hack by myself.then later on,i realized that its impossible for me to do it alone,
    cause scripting is impossible for me to learn,cause i concentrate mostly on graphics.in short iam a graphical hacker.

so i prefer having a partner..maybe a very good scripter,

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2013
    im currently working on my hack alone too but i choose to work on it alone i dont really want to find other people to help although i do need some help kind of on the whole warping thing lol

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Yes. I am working on a hack on my own (yet to be shown), because no one wants to work on a hack with a beginner. The reason there ARE hacking teams is becuase one person can't do everything in a hack, becuase they have skills in one part and not in the other. So other people help out so that the hackl can be finished. For instance, i need someone who can insert sporites without the palette going wierd on them. This is because I cannot do it myself. That's why I would need someone to help, instead of doing it on my own. Simple.

theswordbuggy

Rom Hacker
    Years
  • i am makin a hack of my own. i prefer to work on my own because you can accually do it at your own pace. but sometimes i would prefer to have a team. but i think it is easier to do it alone.

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
  • Im about to start a hack and im afraid im going to be working on it alone... :(

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
  • I have no spriting talent whatsoever :/

I would like to work alone if I could sprite well, but, sadly, I'm only good at scripting (and decent at mapping... I hope...)

There's other jobs that I could probably learn, like World Map and tile editing, but inserting them into the game is a problem I've always had. Oh well. Better get cracking lol.

Though I do think that it is fun to work with other people, as long as they aren't like "ZOMG i cAn HELp YOU I TeH PWNSAUZ AT EVERYTH1NG!!!one!"

Yummeh.Strawberriez

Mapper/OW Spriter (:
    Years
  • Well, i'm working on a hack, not completely on my own.
    My friend is a complete Pokemon genius, he knows everything about it, has great ideas of what can be changed, what kinda story etc.
    So i'm the only one doing the actual hacking, but the ideas are about half half, and i run everything by him to see if he likes it.
    I hate making decisions, so its nice having someone help me, but overall, i'm a lone hacker.
    Although i'm absolutely terrible at scripting, so some help there would be appreciates greatly sometimes :L

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    I'm a lone hacker, I just started learning yesterday and all I've done is change the title and the pokemon on the title screen. seems like working alone would be easier than working in a team, unless you have someone you know you can really trust who has a good knowledge of what needs to be done. I guess I wouldn't mind working with 1 or 2 other people though, if I could find anyone.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • Yup, I hack by myself. I'm trying to learn how to do most things, Script, map, sprite, etc. so when I do learn, I can make a "good hack" and not just small changes.

BananasGoMoo

Pokemon Electrum
    Years
  • i'd hack by myself, except i can only do like half the things, i cant map, sprite, or insert things very well into my hack. so i'd rather work with someone who can do these things, even though i haven't gotten around to asking someone for help. but i did post in the rom hacking tutoring thread today.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2009
    ha this is fantastic, i am also a lone hacker and not only that im a newbie at hacking an rpg like this. I have tried my hand at hacking many zoo tycoon 2 files and it was fairly awesome heh but all this scripting is really kicking my butt.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I always do the stuff myself, the only times I've done different is when I've done maps for other hacks, and that's not the same, right ^^
    The one important thing I don't do is scripting, because it's a real pain to INSERT those gosh darn messages.
    ...And that's probably why my hacks never really end the idea table...

Back