• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Lone Hacker?

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
  • Personally, I prefer to work alone. I find that team threads (especially of the newer hackers) are very unorganized, cluttered, and overall just indirectly asking "hey can u halpz me wit mah hax???". I find that if I hack alone, I can really let my ideas flow to the rom, you know?

But, there are times when you just can't do something/can't figure out how to do something and need help/advice/information, which is fine, to a point. This is what really divides the n00bs from the pro's, in my opinion. n00bs, new hackers, and ignorant members think it'll be easy and everything will turn out right the first time, then when something doesn't, they ask for help. Even if someone helps them, they ask for more help until said n00b/new hacker/ignorant member isn't even hacking. Pro's/experienced hackers know when to ask for help, or at least try to figure out what's wrong on their own.

With that aside, teams ultimately fail unless everyone in said team knows what their doing (such as the Rom Revearz (however you spell it ><) Hacking Team). Everyone is as strong as the weakest link. Which is why if you have a n00b in said team, things fail.

I find that being a lone hacker and having a couple of experienced people helping when needed can be best.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I was just wondering.... whats the hell is the point of beta testers? I know they can look for glitches n' stuff, but do they realy do that? there just people who want to play the beta first XDXD And anyway you could do the testing yourself!

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • I was just wondering.... whats the hell is the point of beta testers? I know they can look for glitches n' stuff, but do they realy do that? there just people who want to play the beta first XDXD And anyway you could do the testing yourself!

That's not entirely true. If I get chosen as a Beta Tester, I will actually post screens with bugs in them.

TAKUORO

Pyro from WAH ;D
    Years
  • well...I prefer to work alone, my first and my second hack Imaded alone and I think that is better to do the first hack alone, you will lear much more ;D

If you will do a hack in team, make sure you know them well, I think it's much better xD

Sorry my english :P

I was just wondering.... whats the hell is the point of beta testers? I know they can look for glitches n' stuff, but do they realy do that? there just people who want to play the beta first XDXD And anyway you could do the testing yourself!

some people don't have time, but the beta testers are very important, if a hack has a wrong warp, you maybe could not finish the beta xD

Chevalier

Réveiller
    Years
  • Well, as others have already mentioned, the hacks that are particularly successful tend to come from a single developer. Although I'd say Legend of Fenju is a great hack that came from a team. There are a few exceptions but the vast majority of the time, the more popular hacks (if that's what you're aiming for) are made by a single hacker. It just gives you so much more control over the hack and nothing gets lost in translation, so to speak. If somebody else has to do a job for you, then the result will never be what you wanted it to be, no matter how good they are or how detailed the instructions you give them are.
    On top of that, you get a much greater sense of accomplishment when you can step back from your work and say "I made that" and have it be completely true.

Exactly!

Although having a hack team saves you time and offers a variety of different values to the game, there will always be an element missing in a team hacked game compared to a single player hacked game.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Personally, I prefer to work alone. I find that team threads (especially of the newer hackers) are very unorganized, cluttered, and overall just indirectly asking "hey can u halpz me wit mah hax???". I find that if I hack alone, I can really let my ideas flow to the rom, you know?

I find that being a lone hacker and having a couple of experienced people helping when needed can be best.

I find this true about myself too. Yes,organized teams are fun, but also resricting. Everything needs to be approved by one member.. or it's not really a team. I think nowadays the team threads are just a place for people to ask others to work for them, which is why i stopped going there xD. For a team to not be a hacking sweatshop everybody needs to have their input. Working alone lets your own ideas flow, but getting your hack to actually be fun to play while being the only one playing it requires massive amount of trial and error and experience, something that you cannot work by just doing one thing.

BrokenRoses

Rom Hacker & PSP Hacker GOD!!!
    Years
  • I have made 4 hacks by myself and it is no fun at all T_T
    Constant hand pain and head achs drove me insane to stop lol
    BUT... The postive this about hacking by myself is I know how to hack every part on a rom and now love helping those who cannot work by themselfs like I did... *waaaa* XD
    But ANYONE who is serious about a hack and needs a master hacker to help them, send me a visitor message w/ detail and ur hack post and ill reply ASAP, Thank You :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2013
    I don't know if I could team hack - most of mine come from strong storyline/gameplay ideas. I kind of want to follow them through, even if some of my skills in other areas slow me down.
    But a team experience can be great for a newbie.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I''ve wanted to hack, though I'm not one yet. I'm a little scared to try to by myself. XD Mapping, Scripting, its all so complex to me, I'm sure its not once you learn about it.

However, People are meant to work in groups by nature, so I would assume that hacking should be the same way its a thing that should be done in teams If a person can do it alone more power to you. Biut it would go easier with a team.

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Although its always difficult to work alone especially for noobs but
    I think the first hack people make is usually alone as they want to implement the things that they learnt via tutorials,asking others and find their strength and weakness

Atleast this is what I did :D

RainDogg54

Crown of Love
    Years
  • I'm a "lone hacker" I guess. I prefer to do things myself. I do get help from time to time with certain things regarding my hack but that's understandable (especially when you've only been hacking for a couple months:P). I find it kind of funny when people assemble a team of like 15 different people to do jobs that 2 or 3 experienced hackers can do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2017
    I'm working on a hack now, and I've done it all myself so far.
    I might try and find some people to lend a quick hand here and there, but I wouldn't want to build a team. I want to work on my own schedual, and at my own pace.

BlazingShadow

Stealth God
    Years
  • ZZzzz.... Im a lone hacker too.... I just started creating my own hack alone.
    But maybe Ill need some help from others.... too.....
    So by the way can someone help with my Title Screen In Ruby?

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I made a hack my myself. Unfortunately, if there is only one person working on it, it can't be bumped every day. I was making a hack called MissingGlitch, doubt any of you heard of it. I have started working on it again, but I'm not making another thread until I get very far in the development of it.

Lone hacking can be done, but it's a lot better if you have a team as, as well as the reason above, you can have people who are very good at certain things cover up your weaknesses, and can increase the speed of development, for obvious reasons.

Back