• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Metal thread.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
  • It's definitely Metallica and Megadeth for me as well.... OLD Metallica and Megadeth that is. Can't pick a favorite Metallica album though because I think the first four are absolute masterpieces, not including the Black album. Amazing, but not Metallica's best. I also agree with groteske, not a fan of their newest works. Some would argue that sounds generic, but it wouldn't be generic if it weren't true.

If there was a fifth one where we instead would be talking about the "Big Five," who would you pick? I think Pantera would be able to fit the fifth slot.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • If there was a fifth one where we instead would be talking about the "Big Five," who would you pick? I think Pantera would be able to fit the fifth slot.

Definitely Pantera for me. Cowboys From Hell is their most famous record but my favourite album of theirs is Vulgar Display of Power. Dimebag Darrell was such an amazing guitar player, may he rest in peace
    The Metal thread.

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • Iron Fire is in my top bands. If you check them out, make sure you listen to "thunderstorm" first. One of the most epic songs I've heard

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2012
    THREAD, I HEREBY RESURRECT YE

@the Big 5th band: Remember, the Big Four was based on record sales, not skill or anything. If there was a fifth band included, it would definitely be Testament. I would have loved Death Angel to be there though...

Anyways, stuff I've been listening to recently, with links underlined:
    -Red Fang (Stoner, but they sort of push the line between rock and metal)
    -Mumakil (Deathgrind)
    -Slayer
    -Iskald (Black metal)
    And surprisingly, Whitechapel's first album.

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Metal <3 This is the perfect thread for me, lawlz.

Well, where to start off... I listen to a lot of metalcore, it's my favorite genre and it's what I play on guitar. These are some of my favorite bands:

August Burns Red (progressive metalcore)
    A christian band that wears American Eagle polos might seem a bit far off from metal, but this band has added so many elements to metalcore, I see them as one of the leading bands in the genre. And their lyrics never fail to impress. While there are moments in their lyrics that are obviously Christian influenced, they are in no way preaching, which is what I love about them. Their riffs get more creative and complex with each album, and they seem to grow as a band with each one.

Job For A Cowboy (deathcore, death metal)
    Of course I had to include these guys, AZ pride ya'll!! Anyways, this has to be one of my favorite metal bands to come out of my home state, and they rarely fail to impress. However, I wasn't all for their most recent album Ruination, I'm still looking forward to hearing what they release next.

Eyes Set To Kill (metalcore, post-hardcore)
    Yet another band to come out of my heated home state, but I truly do love this band. This band has had quite the bounce around in their line up- from their original screamer leaving, to a screamer who only appeared on 2010's "Broken Frames". And then their lead guitarist who appeared on their first 3 studio efforts left, but I think the band has finally found balance as a four piece with their new screamer, who I met after a recent show. He's really cool, lol.

Whitechapel (deathcore-death metal)
    Need I say anything more? lol, I LOVE Whitechapel. They go so heavy with skill, and I'm really looking forward to their next album. They are a band that never fails to impress me.

Atreyu (metalcore)
    This is the band that got me as into metalcore as I am today, and I credit them for a lot of my inspiration for playing the genre that I do. I regret not seeing them at their last AZ show on their Congregation of the Damned tour, seeing as they went on a hiatus shortly afterwards.

Haste the Day (metalcore)
    Ah, this band. I got into them only a month before they broke up last April, but I'm glad I got into them when I did. I wish I could have seen a show by them, but I guess I just didn't get into them early enough. However, as a musician I felt so inspired when I saw a video for their last song at their last show. I could feel their energy from my damn laptop. This is one of the bands I credit for helping make the metalcore genre as great as it is today.

Trivium (metalcore, thrash metal, heavy metal)
    I remember I didn't like this band all too much at first, I thought they were just another band trying to be Metallica. Which seems to be the case with some of their early efforts. However, after listening to them more and more, I became a fan- especially of their later works on Shogun and their upcoming album "In Waves". This band has clearly grown from where they were at before, and I'm really looking forward to their upcoming album. Their sound seems to have a fresh aspect to it with their new drummer.

And of course I still show love for 80's and 90's metal. My favorite bands from that era are Metallica and Pantera.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Could anyone recommend for me some good industrial metal bands?
    I only really know of Rammstein and Turmion Kätilöt — prefer the latter if it matters.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Turmion Kätilöt seem to take a lot of influence from ebm and aggrotech, so check out those genres if you care too. It's usually a lot more electronically based though, not sure if you care for that. Industrial is pretty broad.

My personal favourites are Godflesh (Crush my Soul, Suction, Nail, Paralyzed, Like Rats = best songs imo), Skinny Puppy (go for their album The Process, less electronic, more metal), Fudge Tunnel and Front Line Assembly. Which you may like.

Based on what you said you'd like, I'd recommend Deathstars, Hanzel und Gretyl (I used to like, but can't stand the lyrics, not sure if lyrics matter to you), Eisbrecher, KMFDM (WWIII album is really good imo) and Pitchshifter.

Another big name is Ministry. But I don't enjoy them, nor would I recommend them. They are pretty popular though, so maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years

• <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

We need some more Cynic in here. One of my absolute favourite bands of all time.

Cynic is basically a band which I would recommend anyone into more experimental metal to check out. They're quite proggy and hell almost jazzy with death metal influence in parts, the former two showing up way more than the latter in their newer stuff from their last couple of albums.

One of my favourites by them from their first full album after they released like 5 EPs or something like that. They later released another version of this which was re-mastered iirc but I think this one's better.

Not that I listened to check which version it is.

So this is leaning towards their more proggy end. If you like this I'd really suggest you get the whole album which was imo simply phenomenal. It's called Traced in Air.

And something from what is, as far as I know, their most recent album. It's more or less an acoustic-ish re-release of Traced in Air which they called Re-Traced. This was a completely new song tho, and not nearly as metal as normal.

tl;dr, Cynic is great.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I've found a lot of good bands the last few days.

Spoiler:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Cynic is a band I feel like I should have gotten into, but I can't seem to do so. I'm not big on their Focus album, I enjoyed Traced in Air, and their recent EP (Re-Traced) did nothing for me.

I did find joy in one of their side projects though, Aeon Spoke. It's not metal in the least bit, but it's some nice alternative rock and it does/did feature practically all the band members of Cynic.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    So many amazing albums out/coming out. :D

Of Mice & Men's and I Set My Friends On Fire's new albums are absolutely amazing. I think Suicide Silence has gotten a lot better too. Their new album is, also, absolutely amazing. BD

I can't wait until Chelsea Grin's new album. My Damnation and All Hail the Fallen King are awesome songs, and having Phil Bozeman of Whitechapel do guest vocals was a great idea. Two of the best deathcore vocalists together in a song. That just makes me soooo happy! <333

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • *determined to keep this thread alive*

Has anyone else ever seen or owned a MetalHammer magazine before? I picked up what I think was last month's issue and look at what I found. <3

The Metal thread.

The Metal thread.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'd go just for Gojira, as well as In Flames who I've seen before. They put on a good show, for suuuure.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • Yeah, that's the only reason why I got it; for Gojira.
    Um, I can't get into In Flames actually. They're melodeath right? Oh God, I just reminded myself how I pretended to like Bodom for a while.

uh, anyway, wanna recommend me an album of theirs?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm not a big In Flames fan, but I hear a lot about Whoracle from the people who like In Flames earlier stuff, and then their three most recent albums for the fans of their newer sound (which imo is bordering onto pop metal). The only album of theirs I enjoy is their latest, but I'm not much of a metalhead so that's probably why I like it, hurr.

Anyway, for all you weirdos like me who enjoy industrial/black metal I recently discovered Spektr who I think are pretty good. I also found Reverence who I don't like so much, but though I'd throw out there anyway.

And one for the hipsters, shoegaze influenced post-black metal, Hypomanie.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • This fell into inactivity.

I'm looking forward to Megadeth's new record, "TH1RT3EN", coming out this fall. The glimpse of "Never Dead" we got from the game's trailer and the song they have been performing live, "Public Enemy #1", seem to be good indicatives of what's coming.

Another band I kinda like is Children of Bodom. It's the only band with non-clean vocals that I can actually stand listening to (death or black metal aren't my thing, and just get the -core genres AWAY from me), maybe because the instrumental is so melodic. That Alexi Laiho guy is such an awesome guitarist. Their song "Downfall" got stuck in my head.

I'm also going to try some different bands. Maybe Machine Head? I like their song "Halo".

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Oh now it's been bumped I have to post again...

Toxic Holocaust released a new album this month, which I think is decent. Reminds me of old school thrash. Havok are also doing some thrash revival, their album Time is Up was released earlier this year, but they still need more exposure.

I discovered some old school industrial metal as well, Pitchshifter. I've heard their more recent stuff before and didn't care for it, but I think this is much better.

I'm also going to try some different bands. Maybe Machine Head? I like their song "Halo".
    If you like modern metal go for The Blackening; if you prefer old school start with their debut Burn My Eyes.

Last edited:
    Back