• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Mono-Generation Challenge

Years
  • WELCOME

Welcome to the Mono-Generation Challenge.
    Is there a generation of Pokémon in particular which you think gave us some beautiful new creatures? Want to use them and only them to play through the entire game? In that case, this challenge is right up your street.
    The basic aim of this challenge is to use a team of six Pokémon from only one generation of your choice to beat the game. However, the choice really does depend on which Pokémon from that generation are in the game which you have chosen.

AVAILABILITY

Here are the generations which can be used in each game:

Red/Blue/Yellow - GEN I
    Gold/Silver/Crystal - GEN I, GEN II
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald - GEN I, GEN II, GEN III
    FireRed/LeafGreen - GEN I
    Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - GEN I, GEN II, GEN III, GEN IV
    HeartGold/SoulSilver - Pre-Elite Four: GEN I, GEN II - Post-Elite Four: GEN I, GEN II, GEN III, GEN IV

Black/White will not be included, as only one generation can be used for those games.

RULES

-> The game ends once you beat the Elite Four and the Champion on all games except (Heart)Gold, (Soul)Silver and Crystal. In these cases, the game ends after you beat Red.
    -> Only use Pokémon from the generation you choose. If the Pokémon from the generation you have chosen isn't available until after you have started the game, use your starter Pokémon until you encounter it.
    -> You may trade over ONE Pokémon from another game to your game, incase it is one of your preferred Pokémon from the chosen generation and it isn't available. You may also breed it and use the offspring, in case you want a stable Pokémon which will always obey. You may also trade over another Pokemon to breed with it to get an egg move too, but you must NOT use this Pokémon in battle. Trading is also accepted if any of your Pokémon require it to evolve.
    -> No hacking.
    -> You may use an emulator.
    -> You may use HM Slaves, whether from your generation or not. Just don't use them in battle, ever.
    -> No legendaries are allowed to be used, whether from your generation or not.
    -> On HeartGold/SoulSilver, if you are planning on using Gen III or Gen IV Pokémon, beat the Elite Four with a team of any Pokémon you like, until the Safari Zone and native generation Pokémon are available.
    -> Post updates of how far you are in your game. Screenshots are optional, but provide more detail.

ULTIMATE CHALLENGE
    This only applies to certain games where the Battle Tower is available.

Want to go a little further than the Elite Four? No problem. Use three Pokémon from your team after the Elite Four/Red, and challenge the Battle Tower.
    The ultimate challenge ends at different stages depending on the game:

Ruby/Sapphire: When you earn the Gold Shield.
    Emerald: When you beat Salon Maiden Anabel the second time.
    Diamond/Pearl: When you earn the Gold Trophy.
    Platinum: When you beat Palmer the second time.
    HeartGold/SoulSilver: When you beat Palmer the second time.

SIGN-UP:

Use this form to sign up:

Spoiler:

For example, for my challenge:

Spoiler:

CHALLENGERS

Spoiler:

WINNERS

Spoiler:

--

The challenge begins whenever, so get signing up and show your generation some love! :D

Last edited:

バイナリ人

Binary Person
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2011
    Okay,a few pointers

1) On GRBY you can only use Gen I mons,so it should be banned.
    2)On BW you can use mons from other generations(by using DW)
    3)Crystal also have a battle TOwer
    4)Signe me up

Game: Gold
    Generation: 2
    Username: ^^^^

Years
  • Sounds fun :P :) . I'll join in

Game:FireRed
    Generation:1
    Username: Pokepokemo
    signed up. :D

Okay,a few pointers

1) On GRBY you can only use Gen I mons,so it should be banned.
    2)On BW you can use mons from other generations(by using DW)
    3)Crystal also have a battle TOwer
    4)Signe me up

Game: Gold
    Generation: 2
    Username: ^^^^
    1. yeah I know, I just thought about including them incase anyone chose to go generation 1 so that they could use all the games.
    2. hm well I suppose you could, although it'd bypass the 'only trade one pokemon' rule, even if it's not trading it's technically transferring a pokemon of your choice.
    3. oh yes, I forgot about that. I'll add it in. :)
    4. signed up. :D

edit: just had a look and, just like firered/leafgreen, the battle tower in crystal doesn't appear to have much of a challenge to it unlike the other games, therefore I think I'll still not count it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • UPDATE

started off with the name 'RK9' and obtained a treecko for the starter. not my favourite, but I rarely use it and won't be using it for the whole challenge so I thought I'd choose it anyway, until I get the chance to get a gen 2 pokemon.
    as per normal, I destroyed every trainer in my way with treecko, and just around rustboro, it evolved into a grovyle, in time for roxanne. from then on, the rock-type gym was easy. especially considering that most of the pokemon there were geodudes, 4x weak to grovyle's absorb. roxanne was no exception.

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:

TEAM

Grovyle - Level 18 // Fury Cutter, Pursuit, Absorb, Quick Attack

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    This sounds fun! I've already started a Platinum game, so I can just continue with Gen 4 Pokemon.

Username: thedollargamer
    Game: Platinum
    Generation: IV
    Ultimate: YES

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • I second the RBY ban for obvious reasons.

Also, can cross-generational evolutions (Aipom>Ambipom being one example) be used for the evolution's generation? This would make Gen IV legal for HGSS pre-E4 (with a team of Ambipom, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, and a traded Pokémon.)

Finally, can a Magneton, Nosepass, or Eevee be traded from HGSS to DPPt to fulfill their evolution requirement, and if so, can their happiness be restored to what it was pre-trades via hacking?

Yes, I'm making a lot of "I need a rules clarification" posts. This time I actually plan on doing the challenge.

Young4Ever

No need to be bitter,is there?
    Years
  • Username: Young4Ever
    Game: Volt White a harder version of White with every 649 Pokemon available in the wild,so this qualifies right?
    Generation: ... 1

Ultimate: will you be taking part in the ultimate challenge? NO

And yeah I second bwburke's post.

If BW were banned,why RBY wasn't?After all in BW you can get mons from otehr gens via Dream World.
    And Cross-Generational evolutions should count!
    Since I plan to get a Porygon during the gameplay,I want to know if that rule's okay ^_^
    Well,awesome challenge,new idea so count me in ^_^

Years
  • I haven't done any challenges encompassing multiple games for quite a while, it's about time:

Username: mondays
    Game: Red, Crystal, Sapphire and maybe Pearl if I feel like it
    Generation: I
    Ultimate: God no.

I'll probably give up halfway as I usually do nowadays (except for that one Crystal World 'locke, not my fault the game didn't continue), but we shall see.

I did everything you can do before getting the Flute and saved after obtaining it.
    There's not a lot to report about what happened, nothing particularly notable. Well, fighting Brock with just Beedrill at lv.14 while he had a stupid tons of Full Heals (like 10, he kept healing and healing Poison, he only ran out of them when victory was close anyway) was interesting, but that was pretty much it.

Team at this point:

Well, these and a level 6 Charmander with Cut.

Aaand I took on the rest of the game:

So, the first thing I encountered in Safari Zone was a Kangaskhan. I was like "Would be hilarious if I actually were to catch this" One Safari Ball later...

Turned out to be actually useful, since it turned out Clefairy can't learn Surf. So I just kept Bubblebeam until the end.

A gym or three and some very easy E4 battles later, I have beaten the game:

- Twinneedle Bug= Best attack type in the game!
    - Double Edge
    Mainly helped getting rid of these pesky Fighting types faster.
    - Swift
    For when Twinneedle wouldn't help a lot but there's no need for DE
    - Swords Dance
    We all know what it's for. Wonderful especially vs Lorelei and Agatha.

- Body Slam
    STAB, para chance, excellent BP, hits most stuff neutral, what do I want more?
    - Thunderbolt Water and Flying are come right after poison and maybe even before Normal when it comes to common types!
    - Bubblebeam Because I need at least something against Fire types. Also nice not having to waste an Ice Beam on a Graveler.
    - Ice Beam No need for explanation, Ice Beam is a must on almost anything.

- Scratch
    Crucial against Gary's Squirtle in the beginning. Also helped catching Weedle. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without this move!
    - Growl I might have used this like once. And I'm pretty sure that one use (if it exists) was game deciding!
    - Cut Helped me beat Surge, helped me beat Erika, helped me in lots of other situations. Definitely a must for a core member like Charmander.
    - Strength As if Charmander wasn't already strong without this. Shined in Victory Road.

- Comet Punch This move name sounds so awesome, by that alone it was already useful to me!
    - Rage ... -fu?
    - Surf Not even one of the Laprases or Venusaurs Kangaskhan fought wasn't OHKOd by this!
    - Nothing Apparently Kangaskhan is an atheist, because at the end, there is nothing.

So, for general usefulness, I'd say: Charmander>Kangaskhan>Beedrill>Clefairy. Because without the first two I'd still be stuck somewhere not even close to beating the game, Beedrill did the most fights and Clefairy mainly fought what Beedrill didn't like - and leveled insanely fast, Beedrill has 70k exp more but is a level lower.

Next: Whatever gen2 game I mentioned above. I'll have to look up which as I already forgot my pick.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Started Crystal. Did everything up to leaving Azalea. Team:

Beedrill was so much fun to use in Red so I felt like I might as well do it again. Or at least it seemed more appealing to me than any of the other Pokemon available at this point. Well, I considered Goldeen, but... Nah. Beedrill is fine, even though Twineedle isn't going to be half as good in this game.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Just wanna point out that some people are able to trade with BW and/or hack in non gen V Pokemon in on emulators. The fact you exclude gen V is putting me off on doing this, lol. Just thought I'd mention it though, plus even if you wanna exclude BW challengers from entering with non gen V Pokemon, they could still go with gen V Pokemon. I mean, you allow gen I games in the challenge, which only have gen I Pokemon, so...

Back