• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
I joined the forum just so I can do this challenge! "10...9... Bah! Who has time for counting!"

*EDIT: Changing my ultimate to Singles. I don't really want to play X.

Forum User Name: Lynda
Pokémon Type: Poison
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): Gold

Pokémon Type: Poison
Game(s): Red

Extra Rules:
Revives are banned from battles
All games are played on Battle Mode: Set

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting Pearl Update

Finally beat the Elite Four + Champion! There were some tense moments, especially against Cynthia, but we pulled through after Garchomp decided to use Brick Break on Lucas for no apparent reason... Anyway next up, Soulsilver!

Final team:
Spoiler:

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Ultimate Poison Update #1
(Gold Version Playthrough)

The run is going pretty great so far, and it's been fun replaying my favourite Pokemon game for the first time in a while. I played most of the run with a Zubat and a Qwilfish, and Zubat is now a Crobat. Here's a brief breakdown of the Gyms I fought.

Falkner: Zubat used Bite
Bugsy: Probably the most involved fight oddly, with a lot of Qwilfish Tackles and Zubat Bites.
Whitney: Qwilfish is awesome and tanks Milktank's Rollouts. Qwilfish's Headbutt is really powerful.
Morty: Golbat used Bite
Chuck: Crobat used Wing Attack
Jasmine
: Qwilfish Used Surf
Pryce: Qwilfish used Sludge Bomb and Surf

It was around this point where my two Pokemon reached level 40, and I kind of felt bad I already had two Pokemon at the same level as Will's Xatu at the Elite Four. I decided to pull out a Gastly I previously caught at level 3, and level it up against some Drowzee below Goldenrod. I taught it Shadow Ball and Nightmare, and it very quickly started to level up. Once I realized how awesome of a move Nightmare really is, I decided to try and take on the Rocket Grunts in the Radio Tower with a level 17 Gastly. Surprisingly it goes really smoothly, and I defeat most of the Team Rocket section of the game with Haunter once it evolves. Being able to stack Curse and Nightmare is a pretty sinister thing.

By the time I'm done with Team Rocket, Haunter is just about caught up to Crobat and Qwilfish, so I go catch a Weepinbell just outside Mahogany since the whole thing went so well with Haunter. I've had Gina's phone number the entire game trying to get a leaf stone in case I would eventually need one, and now that I need one, I'm kind of stuck level grinding Weepinbell until she gives me one. I figured this was a good time for an update while I sit around and wait for Gina to call me.

Current Party Members:
crobat.png
Battata (Female) Level 41 Moveset: Fly, Swift, Bite, Confuse Ray
qwilfish.png
Cactusfish
(Female) Level 41 Moveset: Headbutt, Sludge Bomb, Rollout, Surf
haunter.png
Gashole
(Female) Level 35 Moveset: Hypnosis, Curse, Shadow Ball, Nightmare
weepinbell.png
Doorbell
(Female) Level 27 Moveset: Sleep Powder, PoisonPowder, Attract, Acid

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years

Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Grass

HeartGold

Badges: 2/16​

Progress Report:

1. Started the game with the female protagonist, G.
2. Chose Chikorita of course.
chikorita.png

3. Did the small substory at the beginning with Mr. Pokemon, and the rival (default named Soul), etc.
4. Trained a little bit at Route 30 with the trainers. take that Youngster Joey
5. Captured a Bellsprout.
bellsprout.png

6. Conquered the Sprout Tower.
7. Had a little difficulty with Falkner but won greatly with Chikorita.
8. Journeyed through Route 32 (?)
9. Captured a Hoppip.
hoppip.png

10. Evolved Chikorita -> Bayleef.
bayleef.png

11. Got through Union Cave and Slowpoke Well.
12. HAD A VERY DIFFICULT RUN-IN WITH BUGSY BUT GOD. THAT'S DONE.
13. Defeated Soul on our second rival battle. So far so good. Saved in front of the CUT tree on Azalea Forest.

Team:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 30, 2020
Single Normal Red

UPDATE 3:

Progress Report:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Ultimate Poison Monotype Update #2
(More Pokemon Gold)

The Elite Four was pretty tough, and with four fairly limited Pokemon to work with, it was a pretty messy victory. Will was very difficult, and I had to use Hauner's Hypnosis a LOT in order to beat him. In fact, if I hadn't started training that Gastly when I did, I'd probably still be stuck at the Elite Four.

Lance was a pretty silly victory where Confuse Ray did a lot of the work. Crobat actually managed to knock out Two Dragonites that way, and Qwilfish had to do everything against Aerodactyl and Charizard. It was a little messy, but the Elite Four were defeated!

(Pokemon Gold Part 2: Kanto)

My first goal is to go to Bill's and get a Leaf Stone, but I don't have an Oddish to show the guy. Oddish only show up at night, so I have to kill four hours before I can catch one and evolve Weepinbell. I decided to teach Crobat Thief and try to steal a Lucky Egg from a Chansey in the meantime. Amazingly the first Pokemon I ran into WAS a Chansey, but I forgot to remove Crobat's item before the fight.

One Master Ball later, and I have myself a Chansey....with no Lucky Egg. However this Chansey ends up being a tag along that I have been trying to evolve into Blissey just for fun. I don't use it in any trainer battles, and I only train it in the wild, so I don't think I'm breaking any rules by doing it. I just really like Blissey, and I want one. XD

I decide to level grind Crobat while looking for Chansey, and one Nidorina out of dozens actually survives Crobat's Bite! I decide to catch that one since it's obviously pretty tough, and I use the Moon Stone I found in Tohjo Falls. Nidoqueen learns Body Slam and Earthquake, and I start leveling it up.

Once night falls I can now evolve Weepinbell, and she's still pretty useless. I was initially frustrated with her, but after teaching her Sunny Day and Solarbeam only to get knocked out by an Ice Beam from Misty's Starmie, I started to feel sorry for her and grew to like her as an underdog. I tend to get kind of attached to my Pokemon in these games. :P Victreebel finally gets to kick some butt at Brock, though honestly it's nothing Qwilfish couldn't have handled. (We aren't going to tell Victreebel that though)

I clean up the rest of the Gym battles, and I'm now training for the fight with Red. Just for giggles I tried to fight him at level 55, and his Espeon destroyed everything in one hit. Thankfully all of my Pokemon have some pretty sweet new tricks since the last update, so once I'm leveled up it shouldn't be too hard. Here's my current team.

crobat.png
Battata Level 54 (Female) Moveset: Fly, Giga Drain, Steel Wing, Confuse Ray
qwilfish.png
Cactusfish
Level 55 (Female) Moveset: Headbutt, Sludge Bomb, Hydro Pump, Surf
haunter.png
Gashole
Level 54 (Female) Moveset: Destiny Bond, Curse, Shadow Ball, Pyschic
victreebel.png
Doorbell
Level 53 (Female) Moveset: Toxic, Razor Leaf, Solarbeam, Sunny Day
nidoqueen.png
Checkmate
Level 55 (Female) Moveset: Body Slam, Earthquake, Snore, Rest

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Fighting Soulsilver Update

Progress report:
Spoiler:

Current team:
Spoiler:

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Ultimate Poison Monotype Update #3
Pokemon Gold Version Completed!

The final fight against Red was really exciting and came right down to the wire. Every one of my Pokemon got to do something really important, including Victreebel. The only new move I added to the team since the last update was Thunderpunch on Nidoqueen, and I also renamed all my Pokemon.

One of my favourite aspects of the fight was that in order for me to save Nidoqueen from Espeon's wrath, but safely switch out to Haunter to use Destiny Bond while playing on Battle Mode Set, I had to send out Victreebel to get blasted by Espeon's Psychic and take one for the team. While not the most heroic form of battle for Victreebel, I couldn't have won the fight without that, and in the context of an anime version of the run it'd be really appropriate. Victreebel is mostly useless the whole run and dies a lot, and in the last fight Victreebel does what Victreebel does best to help me win. I like to think that when Victreebel takes the blast and gets knocked out, she gives a little thumbs up before going back in the Pokeball. XD

In the end it's down to Nidoqueen against Charizard, and Thunderpunch manages to paralyze Charizard and let me go first on the next turn to deal the final blow. A very close fight, but that's when Pokemon is at its best. :)

Here's my final team, with a little evaluation of each member.

crobat.png
Rogue Level 60 (Female) Moveset: Fly, Giga Drain, Steel Wing, Confuse Ray

Held back a little in this game due to a limited movepool that doesn't even include Sludge Bomb. Confuse Ray is a wonderful move though, and Fly is still a really powerful move for Crobat. Using the leftovers on her was a great idea since Crobat's primary attack allows her to heal up a bit while in the air. A fairly inconsistent Pokemon due to depending on Confuse Ray for tougher foes, but overall really helpful.

qwilfish.png
Dori
Level 59 (Female) Moveset: Headbutt, Sludge Bomb, Hydro Pump, Surf

I knew from previous playthroughs that Qwilfish is better in Gold than people give it credit for, so it was no surprise to me how great she was. Qwilfish was more useful early in the game than later, but could still pack a wallop with a Sludge Bomb and Poison Barb. If you've never been a fan of using Hydro Pump, you may want to get used to it with Qwilfish since it adds quite a bit of needed oomph to its special attack. That being said, had I tried it against Red's Charizard and missed, I would have lost. In some cases it's better to be safe and use Surf.

haunter.png
Leota
Level 64 (Female) Moveset: Destiny Bond, Curse, Shadow Ball, Pyschic

Haunter ended up really surprising me, and was probably the most useful Pokemon on my team. With a lot of great damaging tricks like Nightmare, Curse, and Destiny Bond, Haunter could very easily make an unlikely situation more manageable. Even though I couldn't evolve it to Gengar, it was powerful enough to blast enemies in one hit with a Psychic if her other tricks weren't needed.

victreebel.png
Mina
Level 57 (Female) Moveset: Toxic, Razor Leaf, Solarbeam, Sunny Day

The obligatory "deadweight" of the team, but I blame that more on the overall design of Gold than Victreebel. Gold and Silver are not nice to grass types, and I felt more sympathetic to Victreebel as a result. While mostly useless, she helped out in the best way possible at Red, making her probably the most interesting "character" on my team.

nidoqueen.png
Allaria
Level 55 (Female) Moveset: Body Slam, Earthquake, Thunderpunch, Rest

A late addition to the team, but incredibly helpful during the end game battles with Blaine, Gary and Red. Nidoqueen has always been a pretty versatile Pokemon, and her ability to learn Thunderpunch was the final trick to beating the game. Overall a very useful Pokemon, and I encourage future Poison challengers to catch one much earlier than I did.

Coming up next: Pokemon Red Version

Yuutsa

Regretting life, one step at a time
Years
Forum User Name: Yuutsa
Pokémon Type: Psychic
Challenge Mode: Ultimate
Game(s): Blue > SoulSilver > AlphaSapphire > Platinum > White > Y

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 30, 2020
Single Normal Red

UPDATE 4:

Progress Report:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Rattata was the heavy lifter in this battle. Between his high speed and attack, as well as his ability to lower the opponents defense with his tail whip. He did practically swept through Gary's team.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Ultimate Fire Monotype - Pokemon X - Update 2

Not much to say here. I just traveled around and beat all the gyms. I think I need to do these faster, forgetting the stuff that happens too fast xD

-Beat 5th gym
-Beat 6th gym
-Beat 7th gym
-Cutscenes galore while ending Team Flare
-Caught Torkoal
-Beat 8th gym
-Wasted all my money at that expensive clothing place (when boredom strikes, waste virtual money :D)

Team:
Houndoom - lvl 49
Charizard - lvl 55
Delphox - lvl 47
Torkoal - lvl 46

Playtime: 15:45
Badges: 8
Last update: After E4

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
First post in 2 years (or so) to say that I finally finished my Normal Y monotype, yay! I had to ridiculously overlevel to compensate for the fact that nearly all of my pokemon were the early crappy pokemon you encounter when you first set out in the game. Ugh.

Final party:
Spoiler:

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
Years
Ultimate Poison Monotype Update #4:
Pokemon Red Version Completed!
(Thank God)

You know Pokemon Red was my favourite game as a kid until Gold came out, and playing it all these years later has made me have a better understanding of the concerned parents at the time. The original Kanto games have not aged gracefully, and I was actually kind of surprised at how violent the game felt compared to later ones. Pokemon Red is also the darkest take on Pokemon, where everyone is mean, and there's no sense of attachment to your Pokemon. It's just constant fighting. The Elite Four aren't even all that tough in Red, so the ending is pretty unsatisfying too. I may have loved these games as a kid, but now it just feels pretty miserable. The best thing one can still say about Red is that it's very short compared to other Pokemon games.

Here's my full team of Pokemon. Beedrill sat out during the Elite Four, and Venusaur sat on his butt and did absolutely nothing during them. Basically it was Haunter and Tentacruel doing most of the work.

venusaur.png
Venusaur Level 44: Body Slam, Toxic, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf
beedrill.png
Beedrill Level 41: Poison Sting, Reflect, Swords Dance, Twineedle
nidoking.png
Nidoking Level 45: Rock Slide, Strength, Submission, Earthquake
golbat.png
Golbat Level 40: Double Edge, Mega Drain, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray
haunter.png
Haunter Level 46: Thunderbolt, Confuse Ray, Night Shade, Psychic
tentacruel.png
Tentacruel Level 49: Warp, Barrier, Surf, Ice Beam
weezing.png
Weezing Level 45: Selfdestruct, Rest, Sludge, Fire Blast

Having finished this game, I feel like it's a good time to go play Pokemon X. I might gain a new appreciation for it when contrasted against the grim violent days of Red.

Next Time: Pokemon X!

Pokémon Type: Grass

I had too much fun playing the Poison Gold run. After seeing how poorly Victreebel did, I'm interested in seeing if I can do a grass monotype. I actually really like a lot of grass type Pokemon, but many of them aren't too useful. XD Here goes nothin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 30, 2020
Pokémon Type: Grass

I had too much fun playing the Poison Gold run. After seeing how poorly Victreebel did, I'm interested in seeing if I can do a grass monotype. I actually really like a lot of grass type Pokemon, but many of them aren't too useful. XD Here goes nothin'!
Try taking advantage of their ability to unleash various status conditions like sleep and paralyze to make your opponents easier to take down.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 30, 2020
Single Normal Red

UPDATE 5:

Progress Report:
Spoiler:

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
I completed the game awhile ago, but hadn't gotten around to updating until now.

Platinum Poison Monotype (Final) Update #2:
Spoiler:

Final Team:
Spoiler:

My only regret is that I forgot to nickname my Tentacruel.

Last edited:

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
Hohen Update 4
1st fishing encounter after saving was a Carvanha,
Caught it and moved up to Route 119 to catch a Feebas
After about 5 encounters I caught a Feebas
Feed it all the blue Pokeblock I had and went North of Rusboro City made more Pokeblock and evolved Feebas
Went back to Route 119 fought a few trainers and saved the game.

Team
Swampert Lv 39
swampert.gif

Tackle
Mud Shot
Muddy Water
Rock Slide

Lombre Lv 40
lombre.gif

Surf
Nature Power
Uproar
Zen Headbutt

Wingull Lv 23
wingull.gif

Water Pulse
Air Cutter
Supersonic
Wing Attack

Carvanha Lv27
carvanha.gif

Assurance
Screech
Swagger
Ice Fang

Milotic Lv 28
milotic.gif

Tackle
Splash
Surf
Dragon Tail

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Completed platinum for my ultimate normal challenge! That just leaves the Unova region and I'll be ready to claim my third ultimate championship! :D

I'm still working on Unova for my bug run as well. I'll most likely have that finished before my normal run, so that will actually be my third ultimate and normal will be my fourth :] I'll update as soon as I finish one of those, or one of my many other challenges :P

Challenge
Spoiler:
Badges
50px-Coal_Badge.png
50px-Forest_Badge.png
50px-Cobble_Badge.png
50px-Fen_Badge.png
50px-Relic_Badge.png
50px-Mine_Badge.png
50px-Icicle_Badge.png
50px-Beacon_Badge.png

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Final Team
Spoiler:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Forum name - CharmedGardy
Pokemon Type - Fairy
Challenge Type - Ultimate
Games - Alpha Sapphire, Y
Previous Progress - Alpha Sapphire Fairy Monotype Completed

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
Years
Dragon Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Hoenn Update 1

Spoiler:

Current Team:
trapinch.png

Sandy (Trapinch) ♀ Lv. 30
Arena Trap, Mild Nature
Sand Tomb, Sand-Attack, Faint Attack, Rock Tomb
swablu.png

Nimbus (Swablu) ♂ Lv. 18
Natural Cure, Modest Nature
Peck, Fury Attack, Astonish, Sing

HM Slaves: Treecko (Cut, Flash, Rock Smash)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back