• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abby

#freecoffee
Years
  • Creep had returned, by now he was a seasoned traveller, four gym badges under his belt. However he wanted, needed more power!

After doing some training and evolving his yamask , it was time to face the gym.
    He led with spiritomb, however it got defeated, then sending out coda gringos, who burned everything to death.

It was then time to travel to mistral ton.
    However he got surf on the way, so he ran back and got that and energy ball.
    His frillish on his team, he went through charge stone cave.
    He then went to celestial tower to get the lucky egg and catch a litwick!
    All trained up I faced and beat the gym with hardly any trouble.

I then continued on my journey, catching a driftblim, teaching everyone shadow ball and evolving lAmpent.

He then then sat down and trained.

Spiritomb
    Faint attack
    Hypnosis
    Nasty plot
    Shadow ball
    Lv43

Coda gringos
    Faceless
    Will o wisp
    Energy ball
    Shadow ball
    Night shade
    Lv 43

Jello cent
    Shipwreck
    Recover
    Energy ball
    Shadow
    Surf
    Lv 43

Chandelure
    Warty
    Night shade
    Will o wisp
    Flame burst
    Shadow ball
    Lv 45

Drifblim
    Cream puff
    Playback
    Shadow ball
    Stockpile
    Fly
    Lv 42

Years
  • Well. I finished my Platinum Ghost part of my Ghost Ultimate Mono. I think I might play on Y next...

Platinum Ghost Monotype Final Update

Log:
    Spoiler:

Final Team and Notes:
    Spoiler:

Badges:
    The Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype Challenge

The Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype Challenge

Elite Four Defeated: 4/4

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Dragon Monotype X Update:
    -Zweilous evolved into Hydreigon
    -defeated the Elite Four and the Champion

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Bug Update #4 (Final)
    I've been chipping away at this since the last update and I finally finished.

Emerald: 8/8
    Platinum: 8/8
    Black 2: 8/8
    X: 8/8

Emerald Team:
    Spoiler:

Platinum Team:
    Spoiler:

Black 2 Team:
    Spoiler:

X Team:
    Spoiler:

-------------------------------------
    Dragon Update #2 (with pics)
    I've also finished up Crystal and Emerald for my Dragon Mono today.

Crystal: 16/16
    Spoiler:

Emerald: 8/8
    Spoiler:

Crystal Team:
    Spoiler:

Emerald Team:
    Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • so dumbass me forgot to save and ended up back before mt moon

Firered Update 2: Fire Edition
    Spoiler:

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    It's been a while since I updated, so I'll try to be more concise because I have a lot of information to cover.

Gamma made it to Celadon and turned the gym there into a salad bowl, claiming the Rainbow badge.
    He then took down Team Rocket in Celadon and Lavender Town. With the Pokeflute in hand, our intrepid hero cleared out the Snorlax blocking his way to Bicycle Road. Once in Fuschia City, he snagged a Poliwag in the Safary Zone and immediately trained it until It evolved into Poliwhirl. With the help of a waterstone, the third member of Gamma's fighting team had been recruited.

With that, he took on the Poison master Koga and collected the Soul badge. Silph Co. and the Saffron gyms were the next to fall. The fourth and final member of Gamma's fighting type team, Omnichan (Hitmonchan), was acquired. A flurry of thunder punches dealt with the swimming trainers between Pallet town and Cinnabar Island. Blaine stood little chance against Battletoad (Poliwrath) and his constant barrage of water pulse attacks. A brief flight back to Viridian City took Gamma to the 8th gym, and his final confrontation with Team Rocket leader Giovanni.

With 8th badge collected, Gamma turned his sights on Victory Road. A hard fought battle with rival Gary ensued, but Gamma would not be stopped. Now, he stands at the entrance to the final obstacle between him and the Elite Four.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Badges: 8 Playtime: 20 hours, 15 minutes

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Here is the first update for my Ghost run in Kalos, on Pokemon Y. I chose Fennekin as my starter so I could easily rush through the first gym and Lumiose City so I could reach Route 6 to catch my first team member, Honedge. I spent some time training it, then proceeded forward with the game. Once I made it to Cyllage City, I tried many times to defeat Grant to no avail. Eventually, I decided that I would have to evolve it before I could stand a chance against him, so I did. After I had gotten Doublade, I was able to easily defeat Grant then plow through the routes to arrive in Shalour City. By this time I was already overleveled, so Korrina stood no chance against me. Next, I moved straight ahead and arrived to Coumarine City where I quickly defeated my rival and the fourth gym leader, Ramos! By the next update, I plan on having the rest of my team caught with a few more badges under my belt!

The Monotype Challenge
    Doublade / lv45 / Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw, Night Slash, Iron Head

Type:
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon LeafGreen Version
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon HeartGold Version
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Ruby Version
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Diamond Version
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Black Version
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Pokemon Y Version
    The Monotype Challenge

Necrum - Just wanted to let you know, I've already completed my Poison run on Emerald. The update was on page 16 I believe; I'm sure you just accidentally overlooked it when you last updated the first page xD

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Tashiro
    Pokémon Type: Electric
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game: Pokémon X Version

I believe Pikachu has a 5% encounter rate, and I want one with a good nature. Wish me luck.

Upon starting the game, I've decided to play in German, which I barely understand, in order to learn the language better and also just for fun. I realized that I have to learn hundreds of new Pokémon names! Oje!

Check back in for the adventures of Liesel and the Foreigner!

---

Pokémon X German Electric Monotype
    Day One

I begin my journey as a girl named Liesel in a small town called Escissia. I am awakened by an overzealous bird Pokémon, upon which time I get out of bed with my 3DS XL and prepare for the day.

I meet the neighbors, Kalem and Sannah, who direct me to the next town over. Sannah nicknames me Lady L, and I receive my first Pokémon, Fynx. I defeat Sannah with Fynx, take a letter to my mother, and then progress to Nouvaria-Wald.

It takes me at least twenty minutes to find a Pikachu. I switch it to the lead, and then I run into another Pikachu, which I capture. I then find a third Pikachu, which I also capture. I then remember that Static may be affecting my encounter rate and decide not to capture any more Pikachu.

My team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Pikachu, level 4
    The Monotype Challenge
    Pikachu, level 3
    The Monotype Challenge
    Pikachu, level 3

I scan the rules three times for any mention of duplicate Pokémon and do not find anything banning them, but am still half-convinced that I missed it.

Leveling the Pikachu proves to be difficult, but I made my way to Viola's gym.

First Gym Battle: Viola - Krabbelorden

All three Pikachu are level nine; I lead with the one that's the closest to level ten. Viola sends out her Surskit Gehweiher, who wastes the first turn with Water Sport. I use Thundershock, doing a little under half damage. I decide to keep up Thundershock despite the inevitable Potion, mostly because I believe that Gehweiher will have Bubble as its offensive move. Surskit, faster than me, uses Quick Attack and gets paralyzed. Thundershock takes it down to the red. Viola uses a Potion, but Thundershock takes Gehweiher down to the point where one more hit will KO it.

Gehweiher uses a last-resort Quick Attack and is out for the count. Pokachu grows to level 10. I have switching off, so Pikachu stays and learns its own Quick Attack.

Viola sends out Vivillon. I start with Quick Attack because I have no idea how much damage Vivillon can do, but it barely does anything. Vivillon uses a move that I can't identify and raises some of its stats.

Then starts the Thundershock and Infestation. Pikachu doesn't have much longer, and Vivillon outspeeds and KOs it before I can get in another Thundershock. I realize that I should have used a Potion, but it's too late. I send out the next-closest Pikachu to level 10 and start with Thundershock. Vivillon manages a Tackle before Thundershock takes it down to yellow.

Infestation is called Plage, which I find amusing. This paralyzes it, and it's now down to red along with my second Pikachu. I use one of the fourteen potions I purchased for this encounter and hope that Viola does not imitate me. Vivillon uses Infestation, which starts to make my nose itch.

I use another Potion, wanting to be careful. Vivillon is fully paralyzed on this turn.

I finish with Pikachu at 22/25 HP. Pikachu grows to level 10 and also learns Quick Attack, which is called Ruckzuckhieb. Pikachu grows to level 11! The Krabbelorden is mine!

"Wow, du... Nien, ihr! Du und dein Pikachu, ihr seid ein tolles Team! Ja, sehr gut! Genau danach suche ich! Bitte, das habt ihr euch verdient!"

I understand about half of these words of encouragement.

I will never use this TM.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    Gamma here. I'm tired of story writing so I'll just post my update :15:

Ran through Victory Road and wearily climbed to Indigo Plateau. Lorelei and Bruno posed little threat, but Agatha gave me a run for my money. Lance was easy to deal with after his Gyrados fell. At this point, I was feeling pretty confident. Gary taught me to never be confident during a monotype fighting run. Pidgeot and Alakazam proved to be the greatest challenge I've faced through the entire game. Venusuar and his Sunnyday/Solarbeam combo were annoying, but he didn't like Screech very much. I have never hated Gary so much. I feel amazingly rewarded after having finished this run, and totally certain that I will not be making Fighting my type choice for the Ultimate Challenge.

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Forum User Name: PJBottomz / Awkward. (soon-to-be nickname)
    Pokémon Type: Rock
    Challenge Type: Single (I only have ROMs for the first 3 gens or I'd do an ultimate >.>)
    Game(s): Red -> Crystal -> Ruby

Can't wait to get my ass handed to me by Misty and Erica. Yay. Also I'm using Universal Randomizer to remove trade evolutions because I don't feel like going through all the trouble of setting up trading for my emulator.

Last edited:

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    I'll be trying out another type with this run. Wish me luck.

Forum User Name: Call me Gamma
    Pokémon Type: Psychic
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): HeartGold

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    Hello, I'd just like to sign up again in regards to the name change (previously Feraligatr13).

Forum Name: Mega Mawile
    Pokemon Type: Poison
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Games: LeafGreen, Silver, Omega Ruby (probably doing this one last), Pearl, Black 2, X (Once I get Bank I will start on this hopefully)
    Previous Progress: LeafGreen (Completed), Silver (Not even the first badge), Black 2 (3/8)

Currently, I'm working on Silver and Black 2, but I should be getting Pokemon Bank within a couple of days. Once I send over all of my Pokemon from X (except the ones I don't want, of course) I will restart it and do my Poison challenge. And in November I will get Omega Ruby (Hopefully it's in Hoenn, Nintendo never said Hoenn confirmed) and do that as my first run in that game.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    (Hopefully it's in Hoenn, Nintendo never said Hoenn confirmed)

Actually it was comfirmed to be a full remake, so yes, it's in Hoenn. :)

Dragon Update #3 (with pics)
    FireRed: 8/8
    Platinum: 8/8
    White 2: 3/8

Pics:
    Spoiler:

FireRed Team:
    Spoiler:

Platinum Team:
    Spoiler:

White 2 Team:
    Spoiler:

Also a new sign-up.

Forum User Name: Matthew Jay Reynolds
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Game(s): Blue, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    So after defeating Ramos, I traveled south to Lumiose City, defeating Team Flare at the Power Plant along the way. I didn't explore Lumiose too much and got straight to business, challenging the gym almost immediately. Clemont wasn't much of a challenge, so I moved right along to Route 14. I quickly defeated my rival then caught my second team member, Haunter. I spent some time grinding Haunter to around level 42 then used it to solo the Laverre City Gym to rack up more experience points. Valerie didn't pose much of a challenge thanks to Haunter's high special attack. Afterword, I dealt with Team Flare once again in the PokeBall Factory. Next, I avoided the trainers on Route 15 so I could get to Route 16 and catch my final team member, Phantump! With the kind help of someone over in the trade corner, I evolved both Phantump and Haunter. Then I went through Route 15, Route 16, and the Lost Hotel to level up Phantump. Eventually, I decided that I was ready to move on to Frost Cavern, where I defeated Team Flare once again. Afterwords, I traveled through the snow on Route 17 to arrive at Anistar City where I immediately defeated my rival and the seventh Gym Leader, Olympia. Now it was time to deal with Team Flare. I traveled to Lumiose City and ran them out of Lysandre Labs, then traveled to Geosenge Town where I awakened Yveltal and defeated Lysandre one final time. Then I was able to move on, traveling to Snowbelle City and Pokemon Village. Once Wulfric was back to his gym I defeated him, earning my final gym badge. I wasted no time in traveling through Victory Road to arrive at the Pokemon League. I spent a little bit of time grinding and adjusting movesets, then began challenging the Elite Four. First I defeated Malva, who proved to be a bit of a challenge. Then I took on Wikstrom, who was slightly easier. Then I took on Drasna and Siebold, who both proved to be the easiest of the four. Diantha was actually pretty easy, thanks mainly to MegaGengar and Aegislash. After being entered into the Hall of Fame, I was awarded the Honor of Kalos and defeated the final trainer of my Ghost Ultimate Monotype, AZ!

The Monotype Challenge
    Aegislash / lv70 / Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw, Sacred Sword, Iron Head
    The Monotype Challenge
    Gengar / lv71 / Thunderbolt, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball
    The Monotype Challenge
    Trevenant / lv70 / Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Horn Leech, Phantom Force

Type:
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon LeafGreen
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon HeartGold
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Ruby
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Diamond
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Black
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

✔Pokemon Y
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Pokémon X German Electric Monotype
    Day Two

I woke up in the Pokémon Center and changed my clothes while I was there.

I followed a few tourists to Magnum-Opus-Palast, where I cornered a missing Coifwaff and watched fireworks with Sannah. I stopped in the library to see about books on mega-evolution, but I couldn't understand any of them. I stole a shiny amulet from a rich man's fireplace because I appreciate pocket money better than he does.

*ahem*

I nicknamed my three Pikachu, mostly to tell them apart but partly because I already had headcanon names for them. In order, they are Julia, Klaus, and Hannelore. Julia has Thunder Wave, Klaus has Return, and Hannelore has Protect. If I replace most of them, I believe that Klaus is the one I will be keeping, mostly because I prefer the look of his tail.

I walked into the wrong cave, mostly because I wondered what it would be like to truly not understand the sign pointing me in the right direction. I met a Pokémon Breeder with a Ducklett, Leufeo (Litleo), Myrapla (Oddish), and a rival Pikachu.

Leveling these Pokémon is incredibly difficult. I need more diversity on this team. What is the next electric-type progress-wise?

--

Klaus is a champion. His Return is proving far more useful than either Thunder Wave or Protect, which also means that he's fainted fewer times than the others and thus would have a higher-powered Return. Still, I have to retrace my steps after every battle to heal my team.

Klaus is a champion. He defies death, smites his enemies, and returns home in time for breakfast. He's definitely staying on my team forever.

I am off to capture Helioptile.

Day Three

I have captured Eguana (Helioptile), which I named Lina. I deposited Julia and Hannelore in the PC, and now I am off to Glittering Cave.

It was a busy day for me. I'm surprised I got this much done.

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Klaus - Level 18
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lina - Level 17

Badges: 1

Summary: A lot of trouble with battles. Captured Helioptile and am on my way to Glittering Cave.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Forum User Name: Mathewravencllr
    Pokémon Type: Electric
    Game(s): Yellow, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, Y

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2021
    Actually it was comfirmed to be a full remake, so yes, it's in Hoenn. :)

Ok, I must not have heard the news; that's a relief.

I just started X now, having transferred everything to my Bank. I currently have nothing, but I plan to have something along the lines of: Crobat, Dragalgae, Drapion, Venusaur/Roserade, Gengar, and probably one of the Nidoran lines.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2016
    Bug update #2
    -Beat Blue on the SS Anne
    -Beat Lt Surge easily (Parasect and dig done wonders)
    -Swept Blue with weevil on the second try
    -Got Pinsir from the game corner and called it Youpi
    -Destroyed the rocket base with Pinsir
    -Easily beat Erica and got my fourth badge

Years
  • Well, since Sapphire decided to delete it's data, I don't think I'm going to be playing a monotype on it for a while. So, I've started a part of my Poison Ultimate on Black 2. So... can you please delete my Sapphire progress from the page?

Black 2 Poison Update

Log:
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Badges:

The Monotype ChallengeThe Monotype Challenge

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back