• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Moral of Hacks

Ezashin Koori

Cold Steel Wing Trainer
Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Hacks, codes, ARs, GSs, etc. No matter what you may call it, if by a third party or another a game goes beyond what is already written on the true version, it is some form of hack.

Now, there are many kinds of hacks, the most common being walk through walls and map edits and encounters and the like. However, there are those hacks which do absolutly Nothing, like having the running shoes or activating the Pok'etch. What I'm asking you is what is the most acceptable hack, and which is the most horriblest cheat.

Here's an example:
    Acceptable: Shiny mod for the later gens (its only a color change)
    Tragically Wrong: Have Max EVs

The only thing to remember is to be repectfully of others opinions and be somewhat serious with this.

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • Acceptable: hacking a pokemon you can get a few routes away (at the same level) so you can train it earlier. (or because its your favorite pokemon)

Not acceptable: hacking a team of uber lv 100 legendary OU pokemon like a noob

ACE9

is looking for a shiny miltank
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2013
    I think that cheating for items isn't bad. Personally, I wait till after I beat the game to use the rare candy codes because it take alot of fun out of the game to level up without really working.Also, for some items, such as stones, there is only a limited amount of a type so if you want to evolve something you're gonna have to cheat or trade.

Cheating in any way on a pokemon itself can be good and bad. People put hard work into RNG'ing shinies/perfect IVs so hacking one and distributing it is really undercutting them. But if you wanna cheat on your own game, and keep it to yourself(ie not trade it) then I don't have a problem with it, nor should anyone else. It becomes bad when people hack entire threads and trade them.

Years
  • Acceptable: Quick Egg Hatching (less steps needed). It's acceptable because you know you can hatch it, you know what's inside and you are just trying to use less of your time.
    Unacceptable: Obtaining an Egg with a hacked Pokémon whether it's the stats,moves,shiny or not shiny, etc.

Years
  • Hacking in order to get multiples of the same TM is perfectly fine, especially if you can only get one copy of that TM in the game (eg. what if you EV trained a Pokémon and got everything perfect only to realise the TM you were going to teach it has already been used and can't be found again?). Also, hacks to get the running shoes early is okay (but I don't see the point).

What is wrong is hacking to get multiple Master Balls, Rare Candies or any other special items that you can't buy in the shops. Also hacking non-event Pokémon because you are too lazy to go and catch them yourself (event Pokémon would be fine because there is no other way to get them, as long as they have reasonable stats and aren't an obvious hack). Hacking to get moves a Pokémon wouldn't normally have or hacking so a Pokémon has perfect IVs or anything like that is wrong as well.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I accept cloning only.
    I don't mind hacked Pokemons, as long as you train it the legit way and don't trade them and pass them off as legits, it's all ok.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Most Acceptable - hacking in Pokemon that you wouldn't otherwise be able to obtain with messing around with trading - like a trade evolution or version exclusive), with fair abilities and IVs, caught legitimately (ie. not with hacked Masterballs).

Most Unacceptable - Wondertomb.

_Kyle

Starting Fire Trainer
    Years
  • Acceptable - Shiney Pokemon, Xp Boost. Having any pokemon you want, Starting with any Pokemon as long as you train it legit.

Not Acceptable - Walking through walls, Full EV train Lv.100 pkmn.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Acceptable: Hacked Pokemon with legitimate stats, provided you don't pretend they're actually legit Pokemon or anything. I mean, not everyone has the patience or time to breed to perfection and then EV train. ;-; RNG abuse is fine by me too.

Unacceptable: Hacking to finish a game. It just kills the fun of the game. If you can get a Pokemon later in the game, get it later in the game. A legendary is too hard to catch? Too bad, they're meant to be. You don't need Running Shoes until you get them! The only thing I'd accept from here is if you want to get a Pokemon if, and only if, you're doing a challenge and need it (ie. ONLY in the Random Pokemon Challenge).

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • Acceptable- Using hacks to obtain Pokémon that cannot be obtained otherwise.
    Creating Pokémon that have fair stats and moves.

Unacceptable- Creating Pokémon with moves and abilities that cannot be obtained legally.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Acceptable: Creating Pokemon with fair EVs, IVs, and everything like that because you screwed up on one of your other Pokemon, but is just a clone of your real one.

Not Acceptable: Level 1 Spiritomb with Wonder Guard and all stats 999 with Spacial Rend, Roar of Time, Judgement, and Shadow Force that is shiny. Also, the PPs are all 99 and it's holding Leftovers.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Acceptable: When it's legit, especially if it's perfecting something you've already got, while keepig it legit of course
    Unacceptable: When it's not.
    simple as that.

Years
  • Acceptable - Quick Level gain codes (because I hate grinding), 1-step egg from daycare, quick egg hatch, cloning, getting an event pokemon from the guy in the pokemart.

Unacceptable - obtaining any items and pokemon that you can't usually get, shiny codes

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years
  • You will always find people with different thoughts on what is acceptable and what isn't. A culmination of everyone's answers will make a list with everything acceptable and everything unacceptable at the same time.

What I find acceptable: Hacking to get TM's, Hacking to get Event Pokemon that are no longer distributed, Hacking for the sake of Challenges, Ev Training

What I dont find acceptable: Hacking for multiple items (ie. Masterball, Rare Candies), Modifying stats (ie. giving all your team 999 of each stat)

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Acceptable: hacking pokemon with legal movesets and stats because you are sick of grinding and want to go straight to battling.

Unacceptable: hacking shiny uber teams with 999 in every stat with impossible movesets that can kill anything in one hit.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Acceptable: Cheating on your own game. Giving yourself shiny Pokemon, infinite items, max stats, etc. is okay if it's on your own game.

Not Acceptable: Cheating over Wi-Fi.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Hacking event Pokemon is completely fine IMO as long as you don't plan to trade. A lot of people don't have access to the events.

Back