• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Next Nintendo Console

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
  • I've seen other articles saying there was still a handful of games left. A Nintendo Rep are people who also told use Animal Crossing would be supported until 2024, but were off by three years since there were no major updates for the game and have confirmed none were coming. So while sources can be wrong, there are other people who have said there is more major games in the pipeline. Noy yo mention their change over from Switch to whatever next will take a few years until they drop support. And we have Mario Kart Updates and Splatoon 3 Updates for at least another year. And TotK will probably get DLC.

Also there is more to VR than the Facebook stuff. There are so many games supported by VR now, it is likely the next evolution of gaming and there probably won't be any stopping it.

Then I want nothing to do with it then. Sorry. Nothing about VR interests me at all.

I look forward to it failing like the Wii U did

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen May 19, 2023
    I think if Nintendo have proven one thing it's that they will not do what people expect when it comes to innovation, which means a VR console is almost certainly not on the cards. VR support is a definite possibility, but Nintendo won't want to split their playerbase by making VR exclusive titles, so at the very most it would likely be a peripheral only. VR isn't conceptually sound anyway, and with Sony slashing their expected sales of PSVR2 in half, the cost of the hardware, and the general lack of enthusiasm for it in most corners, I don't think it's an avenue Nintendo will seriously explore as a mainline gimmick for their next system.

Although going by past trends, I can see a Switch successor being little more than an upgrade with an added gimmick, in much the same way the 3DS was to the DS. It's a solid concept and well on its way to becoming the best selling console of all time, and with no clear unique gimmick to replace it - at least, not to my mind, although I don't work as a developer so for all I know there could be something - I can't really see them doing much else. Improve the hardware, add some much-requested features like 4K support when playing in docked - or even in handheld, although I imagine the cost of that would be pretty nasty for the consumer - and call it a day.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think Switch Pro is more likely than another console. The Switch is the 3rd highest selling console of all time, and it's still generating a lot of buzz.

Going for a new console in the middle of a recession would not necessarily be the best move they could do. And especially not for something like VR.

VR is disorienting for a lot of people, fundamentally inaccessible and while the feeling of "total immersion" might be a plus for hardcore gamers, Nintendo is the casual, family friendly console. Like, parents aren't going to buy a VR videogame for children both due to health concerns and safety concerns (do you really want your children to be playing something you can't even monitor at a glance?)

Also, the hybrid console / handheld thing is working out well enough for them that I don't think they'd want to stop doing that for a trend.

If they do go for VR I'll probably skip that console, since I'm just fundamentally uninterested in the entire concept and it would very much likely be actively harmful to my eyesight.

Back