• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nintendo DS Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

So starting today, the Nintendo DS has ceased production. In memory of the second best selling video game console, I decided to make a thread for it akin to the NES one.

Wait, you expected a fancy banner? Nope, but have Elite Beat Agents.

Anyway, the DS Lite is actually my favorite console. (Of course that's taking account the GBA compatibility, because games like Advance Wars and Rhythm Tengoku look gorgeous on it. :) ) My fondest gaming memories are thanks to this thing, and it brought us innovative and truly unique gaming experiences that you can't have on other systems, like the aforementioned Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk and Kirby's Canvas Curse. A lot of people thought the touch screen was just a gimmick, but to me it was pretty much revolutionary when done right. (see the above mention games, again.) Most of my favorite games on the system made amazing use of the system's capabilities. It also was the start of 2D platformers revival, which is my favorite genre. It also introduced to the west a lot of previous japanese only games, the biggest being Ace Attorney. But Rhythm Heaven, Jake Hunter, Starfy and some others I'm probably forgetting should all be acknowledged. I also can't stress enough how much joy this thing brought me, and the amount of times I played the thing is enormous.

I currently own around 20 DS games and counting (Advance Wars DS is next), and had even more but lost all of them. I also experienced some games using the R4 back when I didn't know better. (Currently trying to buy all the games I really liked.) The system's library is insane and despite the 3DS there's already a lot of games I want for it, even for someone who doesn't like RPGs like myself.

My personal only gripe with the system is that my favorite series, the Wario series, didn't get good enough exposure. Master of Disguise while fun was still mediocre, and Touched! was a one-trick pony and wasn't as good as the GBA games. I still haven't gave DIY a proper try, but a lot of people seem to really like it. Who knows.

What about you? Hated it? Loved it? Let's discuss what was once a joke next to the PSP to a king amongst others!

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
    Years
  • Ah, I remember the first DS commercials I ever saw; most noticeably, the one about Kirby's Canvas.

At first, the Nintendo DS seemed like a weird concept; how were we supposed to play a game that has two screens? And touching? That was definitely new! But, as soon as I bought a Nintendo DS, I never looked back! The first Nintendo DS game that I played was New Super Mario Bros. I really loved that game; it had very nice castle music, and it was pretty challenging on some world levels. I also of course, bought the Pokemon Games for the DS. Remember the game, Metroid Prime Hunters? I never officially got that game, but, all the kids in my class played it all the time. But ugh, I was horrible at it because I didn't get good experience, so, I kept losing (damn that sniper hunter).

Mario Kart DS was also a personal favourite of mine. I remember in High School, I was with a group who played Mario Kart all the time. I was constantly second place (I barely got first since there was also this guy who actually knew how to snake, while I can barely do that. I got the concept of Drifting and Accelerating by drifting quite well, though). I also bought a game called Mario Hoops 3 on 3, which it was fun to play, but then, it got really irritating, because it seemed as though the opponent CPU always had a star or a red shell, while you'd only get green shells, and a banana. Let me tell you, the lightning items were the most annoying things of all.

And who can forget about Phoenix Wright for the DS. n__n I think it was virtually my favourite series for the Nintendo DS! My first game for that series was Trials and Tribulations, and that made me want to Play Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. Followed up with Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations.

Now, when it came to my favourite Nintendo series, the Legend of Zelda series, I was sort of... disappointed with their games for the DS. Well, don't get me wrong, I did like those games, but I just didn't really like them as much as the Legend of Zelda for the NES, and especially the ones for the N64. However, they were still pretty good; I played Phantom Hourglass first, and it had an amazing concept, but, my only issue was that you had to keep going back to that Oceanic Temple, and ugh, I can't tell you enough how annoying it was, avoiding the Phantoms, and doing everything before time ran out. Spirit Tracks was pretty cool to play too; I liked the way that you traveled around in a train. However, eh, I felt that... it should of had more? if that makes sense.

All and all, owning original Nintendo DS and the Nintendo DS Lite held some wonderful memories for me. :3

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I officially consider Super Mario 64 DS the definitive version because of the toy room and playable Wario. lol analog controls.

But man I played that game ALL day. I was literally addicted to it for a while, especially the toy room. Poker was my favorite! (Still is.) I know I also logged like a 100 hours on both Pokemon Diamond and Mystery Dungeon Blue.

Multiplayer Metroid Prime Hunters was great. Me and my friends called it "Halo for the DS", and I know I especially said that because I didn't have a 360 at the time. We played a HUGE amount of Mario Kart DS though, and believe me when I say one of us actually mained R.O.B. (I went for Dry Bones and Yoshi most of the times lol) Then there's Mario Part DS. How the hell can I describe that game with people? Most fun I've had with local multiplayer, seriously. I also had fun with local Pokemon D/P, but the level 30 cap sucked. It did teach me that Roeserade was pretty damn good though lol. Elite Beat Agents for multiplayer was surprisngly fun as well!

But obviously, it isn't limited to the multiplayer. If I had to list my top 5 games in the system, I'd go with
    1. Elite Beat Agents
    2. Rhythm Heaven/Paradise
    3. Hotel Dusk
    4. Mario Kart DS
    5. Super Mario 64 (was hard to decide, but TOY ROOM)

Mario Kart DS is my favorite MK title. Although I prefer Super Circuit and 7 mechanically, DS was just a lot more fun with people and the challenge mode was pretty damn addicting, so it got the edge over the two. Hotel Dusk was one hell of an experience, it was just so moody and the atmosphere was great. I also think the story is my favorite video game story by far, even if it got ridiculous by the end. (it was cute, though.) It was a great compliment to the over the top silliness of Ace Attorney and the unrealistic gritty story of 999, but I also thought it was a better game than those by a huge margin. (I do read and love detective novels, so I might be biased.) Rhythm Heaven on the DS, while the weakest in the series, was still a completely solid entry and I had enjoyed it immensely. (it did have the best OST of the series, imo.)

And Elite Beat Agents. You know that "Just one" thread? If not Warioware (the original), then EBA would have been my answer. The game may look barebones at first, but the difficulty system gives it tons of content and it's amazingly fun trying to get the best grade on each level and on each difficulty. I'm a huge fan of the art style and the comic book esque style it adopts, and the over the top humor and craziness of it all. The songs for the game rocked. I just loved the western aspects of the game, which is why Ouendan never captured me the same way EBA did. (though I don't mind japanese humor, it's the japanese songs that I don't like.) I just can't describe how much I love that game, it's just BRILLIANT. That's it. It's actually one of my favorite games of all time, and in my top 5 as well. I'm still sore it bombed, and I blame all of YOU.

I've got games on my backlog that I still haven't played. DK Jungle Climber, Another Code, The Last Window (because I loved Hotel Dusk) and Jake Hunter are what I'm gonna play soon. Advance Wars DS once I'm done with the first two and once I get it as well. I also need to get around to beating Spirit Tracks, but for some reason it didn't capture me like Phantom Hourglass did.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The system had a lot of good games, and I went through three of them (DS -> DSi -> DSiXL). If I had to make a Top 5...it'd be pretty hard, but it'd probably look like this:

Honorable Mentions - Inazuma Eleven 2, Chrono Trigger

5. Rune Factory 3
    4. The World Ends With You
    3. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2
    2. Phoenix Wright - Trials and Tribulations
    1. 999 - Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors

But there are a boatload of others. Granted, the system had a lot of shovelware, so I didn't even know about most of these games until I got into piracy (which I somewhat recently got out of), but once I did, I fell in love. Heck, the only genre that was really on low supply was the FPS genre. Other than that, there was no shortage of variety in terms of the library, and eerily enough the system managed to have a lot more variety than...pretty much any other console of the seventh generation.

And like you said, Spinosaurus, it did help to bring over previously Japan-only franchises, and it also aided in sort of bridging the gap of Western-Eastern gaming bias among the younger demographic as well as avid gamers. It also led the charge in giving us quite a few 2D RPGs, both traditional and unique, and it also led to some of the most unique games that would be until the indie revolution (such as TWEWY, Kirby's Mass Attack, and Ghost Trick, to name a few).

My first title? I had two: Urbz: Sims in the City and Super Mario 64 DS. Urbz was not what I was expecting, but it was incredible fun that I absolutely loved. I still consider it the definitive DS Sims game. It managed to somehow make this unique experience fleshed out, interesting, and appealing to all demographics without turning out to be bland and boring or throwaway in the process. I got it in 2005, so I was 9 at the time, but after playing it again, I realize that it really was a genuinely good game.

SM64 was...SM64. It was definitely unique, though; certainly no rehash of the N64 version (which was what I grew up with). I had it for years, but I don't think I ever ended up finishing it. Last I remember of it...I was on the level with the rainbows and the airships (which I can't for the life of me remember the name).

I also found my love for Chrono Trigger on that system, and the series that came to become one of my favorites, the Ace Attorney series.

Still waiting for that TWEWY sequel that they alluded to, though.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The DS is my favourite system, and I still havn't had the chance to try some of it's most wonderful titles (alot of them are on everyone's Top 5's so jealous)

The Girst game I played on one was Lunar: Dragon Song, with Metroid Prime: Hunters and Goldeneye Rouge Agent following very close behind. I remember think just how much better the graphics had improved from GBA times, with some very impressive looking (although awkward controlling) FPS's for the system.

I agree with everyone that said that Mariokart DS was the best in the series. It really is such a blast!

My Top 5 Games for the system.

5. Guitar Hero: On Tour
    4. Pokemon: Soul Silver
    3. Mario Kart DS
    2. DragonQuest IX: Legend of the Starry Skies
    1.Pokemon Black Version

tigerBLADE

Years
  • Hm, if I had to choose, my favourite DS Games would be as followed:

• Mario Kart DS
    • New Super Mario Bros.
    • The World Ends With You
    • Mario 64 DS
    • Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

I also remember playing a game called Star Fox: Command. Ugh, I really didn't like it that much, compared to Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures. Even Star Fox: Assault. It was just, I dunno, they did so many unnecessary features, like, your ship runs on fuel, and you had to strategize your ship with each enemy and mother ship, making it more like a strategic game. I dunno, it just didn't work that well with me. In the long run, it was okay to play though.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The DS Lite is easily my favorite handheld system ever. Unfortunately my original black one had a broken hinge (an unfortunate problem with DS Lites) so I recently replaced it with a coral pink DS Lite, and I'm treating that thing like gold now that they're ceasing production. I'm going to get a bundle off Amazon that includes a car charger, extra styluses, and a pouch to carry it in so I'll feel safer about carrying it in the mess that is my purse.

My top 5 games for it are probably...

1.) Pokemon White 2
    2.) Harvest Moon DS Cute
    3.) Pokemon Platinum
    4.) Pokemon Pearl
    5.) Pokemon SoulSilver

...I only really play Pokemon on my handheld systems :b

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    And more stars. You get analog if you play with the old DS thumb strap. And it plays reasonably well on the 3DS with the slider
    I always wanted a DS thumb strap for the game. I think I still have my old one with my old phat DS but I left that back at home. (Will look for it, though.) The game is still frustrating to play with the circle pad, if you ask me.

...I only really play Pokemon on my handheld systems :b
    You're missing out!

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • That's really kind of sad, that the DS is now being discontinued... *~*
    Personally I love the system and many of its games, though I haven't played it as much as I would like to.
    Actually, I was just now thinking about getting one or two new games for it, but I haven't decided which yet.

Having just counted, it appears I own fifteen DS-games, out of which these would probably be my five favourites:

1. - Chrono Trigger
    2. - 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
    3. - Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
    4. - Pokémon Pearl
    5. - Pokémon Heart Gold

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Actually, I was just now thinking about getting one or two new games for it, but I haven't decided which yet.
    IMO, everyone with a DS should have Elite Beat Agents, regardless if you like rhythm games or not. (I HATED Rhythm games, but Rhythm Heaven and EBA rocked.) You can find it for dirt cheap these days, so pick it up if you can.

Rhythm Heaven is great too and is a different kind of rhythm game. It's frustrating at first (if you have no sense of rhythm, like I did because it was my first game in the series) but really addicting once you get into it. If you like it enough you should look at the Wii and GBA (JP only tho) games, they're even better!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I also remember playing a game called Star Fox: Command. Ugh, I really didn't like it that much, compared to Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures. Even Star Fox: Assault. It was just, I dunno, they did so many unnecessary features, like, your ship runs on fuel, and you had to strategize your ship with each enemy and mother ship, making it more like a strategic game. I dunno, it just didn't work that well with me. In the long run, it was okay to play though.

I totally forgot about that game! I on the other hand, really really liked the title. It was very different, but I loved the crap out of it and all the different ships you got to fly throughout the game. The Strategy element was fun without getting uber deep, and the combat was some of the best the series, even if you had to get used to the changes (I jumped from 64 straight to Command, not playing Assault until far later) It was a blast playing with characters like Star Wolf and Bill Grey, and Slippy wasn't useless.. It also had some very fun mutiplayer :)

tigerBLADE

Years
  • I totally forgot about that game! I on the other hand, really really liked the title. It was very different, but I loved the crap out of it and all the different ships you got to fly throughout the game. The Strategy element was fun without getting uber deep, and the combat was some of the best the series, even if you had to get used to the changes (I jumped from 64 straight to Command, not playing Assault until far later) It was a blast playing with characters like Star Wolf and Bill Grey, and Slippy wasn't useless.. It also had some very fun mutiplayer :)

I just didn't like how the ships ran on fuel. XD

I remember fighting the Angler Lord on Venom, and he was very annoying to fight because he was a slippery lil'bugger, and you had to watch the time too. @__@

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • IMO, everyone with a DS should have Elite Beat Agents, regardless if you like rhythm games or not. (I HATED Rhythm games, but Rhythm Heaven and EBA rocked.) You can find it for dirt cheap these days, so pick it up if you can.

I'm kind of picky when it comes to... most things really, so I don't know if I'd dare buying a rhythm game when I usually haven't been that fond of the genre.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, if I happen to come across a cheap copy I might have to give it the benefit of doubt. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm kind of picky when it comes to... most things really, so I don't know if I'd dare buying a rhythm game when I usually haven't been that fond of the genre.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, if I happen to come across a cheap copy I might have to give it the benefit of doubt. ^^
    I'm quite picky when it comes to nearly everything as well, and I don't even remember why I gave EBA a try. But I did anyway, and I regret nothing. You can find the game for like 10$ new on walmart or something, or pretty much everywhere online.

here's a footage of me playing if you're wondering how the game plays. If you play the game long enough your hand will feel like a machine, moving by itself. :P

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • IMO, everyone with a DS should have Elite Beat Agents, regardless if you like rhythm games or not. (I HATED Rhythm games, but Rhythm Heaven and EBA rocked.) You can find it for dirt cheap these days, so pick it up if you can.
    How could you possibly hate Rhythm games? ;_;

What Rhythm games had you tried before them?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    How could you possibly hate Rhythm games? ;_;

What Rhythm games had you tried before them?
    Stuff like Rock Band or Guitar Hero (whichever, I forgot.) They never really clicked on me, so I always dismissed rhythm games based on them. Then there's also the Wii singing games that were...awful.
    I did enjoy Dance Dance Revolution when I used to visit the arcades but I was pretty awful at it haha.

Hell I still dismissed Rhythm games even after Rhythm Heaven, because that game's a different kind of rhythm game. It wasn't until EBA/Ouendan that I started appreciating the genre, and it was actually beneficial for boxing because rhythm is a big factor in the sport haha. I still don't like Guitar Hero/Rock Band!

Anyway, has anyone ever played these games?
    Spoiler:

I was never a big fan of Digimon (until I played them, that is), but me and my cousin were all over these three. I remember when DS came out and I was absolutely addicted to it, and me and cousins always talked about it. I loved the mechanics, the Digimon design and the music, and the farm was actually pretty addicting. Due to nostalgia, my team only consisted of 6 Agumons. (and they all digivolved into BlackWarGreymon except one of them which was a WarGreymon.) I was stuck on that damn final boss for ages because of that.

And then me and my cousin found about Digimon World Dawn/Dusk around 2 years later and completely freaked. It was around summer 2008 (we didn't care about the internet at that time, and there's no such thing as video game marketing where we lived) and we were HOOKED. It was summer, so my cousin slept over at my house every day because we wanted to play this game together. We both got Dawn because we thought Apollomon was superior. Though at the end of all things, I didn't like it as much as DS, for some reason. (Probably because I stuck with DS for a long while, in contrast with Dawn which I only played through twice.)

It was our first Digimon games aside from Rumble Arena on the PS1, so I can't compare them to the other Digimon Worlds. They were the only RPGs on the system with Final Fantasy 4 DS and Mario & Luigi that I liked aside from Pokemon, though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • There's a real divide when it comes to Eastern and Western Music Games, and I think that shows quite a bit when we look at the two. With the East, we have games like the Rhythm Tengoku series, Dance Dance Revolution, and the Ouendan series (including EBA, which is the second of the three) which, in their own right are unique and eccentric with their own charm.

In the West we have Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Just Dance, and Audiosurf (and technically Osu!, but it's roots are Eastern), which, at least in the case of the former two, try to emulate the real experience than anything else.

It's interesting, especially with the localization of SEGA games such as Parappa the Rapper, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5, and later revived with the DS Rhythm Games, how the Eastern Rhythm Market has gained worldwide recognition and appeal. Heck, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have games like Harmoknight, Rhythm Thief (yet another SEGA title), and Theatrhythm.

Here's to hoping for an Ouendan 4/EBA 2.

tigerBLADE

Years
  • I never really played any of the Digimon games for the DS, and I didn't really hear much about them. Maybe I'll try them out someday when I get the change, although, it's kind of tough to find regular Nintendo DS games nowadays -- well, at least in my area, outside the flea market and some game stores.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think that the DS is the first console I've ever had given to me as a present and not shared. And what a good system to start on. This is when touch screen was viewed as bizarre gimmicks before the iPhone made it 'hip' and 'kool' for them to be used.

The DS has a variety filled selection of games, and really has a great selection of quality titles despite some expected shovelware. While the PSP, for me, was more suited to RPGs, the DS was for everything else.

My six favourite DS games are:

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
    2. The World Ends With You
    3. Pokemon Platinum
    4. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    5. Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
    6. Geometry Wars: Galaxies

TWEWY would be no. 1, although I've only played it for a few hours when I borrowed it and it seems to be impossible to get in my country. Other titles I like would be 42-All Time Classics, Rhythm Paradise, Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time and Professor Layton and Pandora's Box.

Back