• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Official In-Game Rival Thread

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    I named him Barry. The way his sprite moves and acts is unique in a way.

His battle sprite is awesome (in a way)

And in Soul Silver, I named my rival - Apple. Mainly because his hair is red.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    What do you usually name him?
    I usually name my rival after his English name in the anime, which would be Barry. His wild act does suit the name may I add. XD;

Which of his teams is your favorite?
    My favorite team from him would be the following:
    Staraptor, Roserade, Rapidash, Snorlax, Heracross and Empoleon.
    They are all really the same besides the difference in starters which depends on the one you pick.

Could there have been improvements made?
    No, I'm fine with how they've made Barry. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What do you usually name him?
    Syrup

Which of his teams is your favorite?
    None lol

Could there have been improvements made?
    Make him less annoying plz. :3

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    On my old save in Platinum, I named him Loki because I called myself Ragnara, so I tried to make the names go together... I did the same on my current save; since my name's Chinami I made his Hisashi, which is one of the default names in the Japanese version.

I like the little dance his sprite does, but other than that I find him actually rather annoying. XD

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I use a series of 4 names when i play Pokemon games

Juan/Ace
    Clara/Hayden

Ace is the trainer i have in Platinum so my Rivals name is Juan
    Juan is my trainer in SS so Ace is his rival.
    Clara is my trainer in HG so Hayden is her rival

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I gave him his manga name; Pearl. It seems kinda weird to give a guy such a girlish name. Then again it is Japan lol. Umm as of now I dont think I would change a thing, well except him fining me everytime we meet. But other than that he is a pretty good "friendly rival".

shadowmoon

The Fresh Snow Trainer
    Years
    same here, called him pearl. he really does remind me of the manga pearl, maybe that's why i named him that. then again, i call all my rivals by the manga name :/

i don't think i would change anything. each of the rivals have their own personality that makes them unique. personally, i prefer silver rather that pearl though

Baker's Bulbasaur

Pokemon Bard
    Years
    For me the rival battles are the most interesting part of the game, and always the moments I enjoyed the most.

When red and blue first came out, I always went with Gary, but then again I always named myself Ash, just to be one of the cool kids y'know?

Nowadays I always name myself Baker, or James (My first name)
    And my rival generally just a name I find cool, I believe I have had a
    Dorian
    Leonardo
    Jackson
    Jasper
    Randy

Currently he is Jason.

I do wish the rival factor was more interesting though,
    I have just made my way through seasons 12 and 13 of pokemon anime, and I like the way Pauls team constantly changes completely.
    ve had your final main battle with your rival outside the pokemon leage, every time you battle him he should be stronger and with completely different teams, randomly chosen from an assortment of say 30-40 different pokemon.

I also think it should be harder to find and rebattle him. In platinum you battle (Barry) on the weekends and always in the same place,
    I would love the idea of his location changing every day to be completely random places of the region.
    These locations would be completely random from a choice of say 20, and change every day, so you couldnt even check the internet to see where he is every day.

This would add more excitement to when you do manage to find him, wether through looking for possibly quite some time, or meeting accidentally.

^^

Back